• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Grateful Thread

Funky_Catskills

That was one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

My god... Trey.... Holy crap.... Dude was absolute fire... taking them into jams that never existed...
Respecting the catalog... Holding it close... And returning it better than it's been in years..

Bobby was so animated... Phil.... Happy as fukc...
Drummer... DEAD ON!

Man.... that was a great weekend.... wow. wow..

BeanoNYC

Great to hear. Videos online looked awesome. Was bummed I got shut out of gdts and tm but made the best of it in Disney with the kids. Looking forward to Watkins. Bob...what did you think of Trey?

Vortex

Never been much or a Phish guy. Trey rocked. After Cream Puff War in Santa Clara it was clear he was ready. Of the 4 shows I saw, California Sat #1, Friday Chicago 2, Sunday Chicago 3, Sat Chicago 4th. Sadly I missed Sunday in Cali and would have liked to hear the Row Jimmy.

Sat Chicago did have the best song I heard. They just nailed golden road.
I could not wait to hear the Althea after knowing they sound checked it in Santa Clara.

Only two Repeats. Trucking and Cumberland, they were both better in Santa Clara.

Chicago as a host city was amazing. Swam in Lake Michigan, had a Steak at Ditka's. Dso at the Vic was cool. Glad I was able to work the shows in. Merchandise goes on sale again on Monday. I waited to long to get a shirt.

Funky_Catskills

If I had a dollar for everytime I heard "Never been much or a Phish guy. " - I'd be rich... :)
I have yet to hear a PHish person say: "Never been much or a GD guy. " :)

Beano - Beano - Beano... You're smarter than to buy into all that ticket BS..
MAGNABALL!!!!

Glad you had fun with the family... But tickets were easy to get.... :(
I know people that jumped into their cars after watching the first night... All got in..

deadheadskier

Staff member
Really? I know tons of diehard Phish fans that don't much care for the Grateful Dead.

Glad you all had a good time. I certainly did watching from home with family and friends.

Regarding Trey: People can argue stylistic preference, but I don't think any other guitarist would have worked as hard as Trey did preparing for these shows. He truly mastered the catalogue and IMO absolutely crushed it, but in the most respectful manner possible. He knew he was a hired gun and somehow managed to steal the show without overshadowing the core 4.

Special

Band went out on the highest of notes. Made me proud as a fan.

deadheadskier

Staff member
After Billy's comments that he thinks the East coast deserves some shows I've been seeing a lot of buzz on Facebook and links like this

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/716/...to-the-east-coast/?taf_id=14059812&cid=fb_na#

I have mixed feelings about more shows. Obviously I wish I went to Chicago. Funky you were totally right that tickets freed up and were fairly easy to come by. If it wasn't for having a 3 month old I would have headed out there last minute myself. Obviously I would try to make it to a Northeast show if it happened. I would think Giants Stadium would be the pick.

Where my feelings are mixed is that you couldn't have scripted a better send off for the band. There was minimal sadness for me and just a nice sense of closure and feeling grateful for all I got to experience over the years. I got the sense from Phil that he felt that way too and is ready to close that chapter and move on.

Funky_Catskills

After Billy's comments that he thinks the East coast deserves some shows I've been seeing a lot of buzz on Facebook and links like this

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/716/...to-the-east-coast/?taf_id=14059812&cid=fb_na#

I have mixed feelings about more shows. Obviously I wish I went to Chicago. Funky you were totally right that tickets freed up and were fairly easy to come by. If it wasn't for having a 3 month old I would have headed out there last minute myself. Obviously I would try to make it to a Northeast show if it happened. I would think Giants Stadium would be the pick.

Where my feelings are mixed is that you couldn't have scripted a better send off for the band. There was minimal sadness for me and just a nice sense of closure and feeling grateful for all I got to experience over the years. I got the sense from Phil that he felt that way too and is ready to close that chapter and move on.

If they try to come back again... it wouldn't be the same..

Billy was high... again... :)

Phil and Bobby probably won't do it...

Funky_Catskills

Regarding Trey: People can argue stylistic preference, but I don't think any other guitarist would have worked as hard as Trey did preparing for these shows. He truly mastered the catalogue and IMO absolutely crushed it, but in the most respectful manner possible. He knew he was a hired gun and somehow managed to steal the show without overshadowing the core 4.

Special

Band went out on the highest of notes. Made me proud as a fan.

Respectful.... Listening... Engaged.. Excited... Happy... interested...

All these things make for great music making..
Trey was all of that... :)

deadheadskier

Staff member
I can only speak to the people I know...
It may be the case they don't care - but they don't dislike....

Just my own personal observation... thats all...

In my case, it's younger fans in their 20s and early 30s. Fans that likely never even saw Phish 1.0 never mind Jerry.

They respect the Grateful Dead music and their history, but don't actively listen to the band.

I definitely get what you're saying about so many Grateful Dead fans that don't like Trey or Phish. Way, way, way more common than the opposite.

"Their lyrics are so dumb" "Trey plays too fast and loud". And blah, blah, blah

Vortex

My point was Trey was impressive. I saw tickets for Friday and Sat and know two people that scored for Sunday, but I did not see one Sunday ticket around.

Funky_Catskills

My point was Trey was impressive. I saw tickets for Friday and Sat and know two people that scored for Sunday, but I did not see one Sunday ticket around.

So again in my world.. At least 5 people I know literally jumped into their cars after watching the first show...
Ticket demand got worse as the weekend went by... BUT - people were still managing to get in.. Lot's of bribes.... Chicago... hahaha...
I saw dogs in there... not sure how that happened...
Security the first night was light patdown and metal detector.. Next 2 nights just metal detector.. The only place there was security was for the floor and the GA pit areas... Security was super cool... Couldn't have been better...

I'm totally and gladly eating my words about the cluster F I expected at first...

Well done... Everyone.. :)

deadheadskier

Staff member
What struck me is he really seemed to be listening to the other players better than I have seen him do in quite some time. If that translates to Phish tour it will be really good

Funky_Catskills

What struck me is he really seemed to be listening to the other players better than I have seen him do in quite some time. If that translates to Phish tour it will be really good

I think he was survival listening.. He was constantly attempting to play things correctly... haha... but.. yeah.. there were issues..
I found Bruce to be a bit off - I think he was playing his own arrangements.. From his own band at times...

I really want to go to Phish tour opener.

Vortex

Hell yeah... He did a great job.. I wish he practiced that much for Phish... hahahaha...

Will I see you at a Phish so someday?

I don't think so. I have been winding down for a few years. I don't see myself going to many big music events anymore. I said that a few times. :) I have only seen Phish twice in 1999 I believe. More into taking time off to hike or ski. Glad to see Jam Band music continue though.