• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Grateful Thread

crank

Went to Peach a couple summers ago when Allman Bros were playing their last round of shows. Fun time. Not going this year though. Also heard Greg Allman is sick and cancelled.

chuckstah

Phil is coming on soon. First set that I'll be able to watch, except for a small portion of Phish last night.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think they're great musicians, but bad songwriters. The few times I've seen them live and several more that I've watched on video they just seem to link together prog rock guitar licks that don't really fit the common theme of a song. Just a very disjointed sound and I guess people who are into them just love seeing Jake shred. He's definitely a bad ass lead guitarist

bdfreetuna

I think they're great musicians, but bad songwriters.

Yep. I do enjoy some songs like In the Kitchen, Ocean Billy, Divisions and so forth. But many of their songs are as you described, a 20 minute prog rock jam seeming very disjointed.

I've seen some shows, mostly older ones that were a bit more song and jam oriented. I've also seen others that seem like half prog / half untz which is a very weird combo to me.

Then again another maybe 10% of their songs are really nice beautiful sounding instrumentals.

prsboogie

I like UM but think their studio stuff is better then most of their live music. They do have some incredible live version of songs but I agree with the weird progressions and timings. Love their covers though!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
Colorado is getting some Phish love tonight. Best show of the summer IMO and it's not over yet. So good. I'd have said Chula prior to tonight.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Nice. I've only heard "Only a River" so far and really dig it. I've heard great things about the new album

crank

Saw Phil Lesh and Friends at the Cap last light. We scored balcony seats off Stub Hub an hour before the show for $50 each.

As you guys know, I am not a huge PLAF fan. I do like Larry Campbell and Luther Dickinson a lot though. They were in last night's line up along with Jason Crosby on Keys, Barry Sless on pedal steel and guitar, Theresa Williams and Nicki Blum on vocals. Sorry I don't know the drummer.

Overall better than I expected, though as usually too much aimless jamming for me. Highlights were Sugaree and Help On The Way/Slipknot. (though Slipknot devolved into a lengthy jam.

Luther Dickenson was the best picker on the stage, but 3 guitars was 1 too many for me.

Love having the Capitol Theater just a few miles away from us.

chuckstah

I listened to a stream of most of this show. Better than expected for me as well but thought it was up and down. John Molo was on drums.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
So, this got brought to my attention. I had not seen it prior. The sound (and video quality) is obviously poor being from 1969, but the glimpse at a young Garcia going off in such an animated fashion during what is not only my favorite Grateful Dead song, but probably my favorite song in general is pretty amazing to see.

Jerry looks like what Trey looked like going nuts on stage when I first saw Phish 20+ years ago. Pretty cool

caddis

So, this got brought to my attention. I had not seen it prior. The sound (and video quality) is obviously poor being from 1969, but the glimpse at a young Garcia going off in such an animated fashion during what is not only my favorite Grateful Dead song, but probably my favorite song in general is pretty amazing to see.

Jerry looks like what Trey looked like going nuts on stage when I first saw Phish 20+ years ago. Pretty cool

Thanks for the video. I totally agree about the Trey comment. I've never seen any footage nor was I around in 69' to see Jerry getting into it like that. Where in the world did you dig that up?

WWF-VT

Dead and Company - Summer 2017

06/15/2017 - Burgettstown, PA @ KeyBank Pavilion
06/17/2017 - Boston, MA @ Fenway Park
06/18/2017 - Boston, MA @ Fenway Park
06/20/2017 - Saratoga Springs, NY @ Saratoga Performing Arts Center