• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Grateful Thread

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I'd much rather see Phil and Friends. They switch it up a whole lot more...between the lineup changes and the way Phil lets them go with it and get out there in the music. Not to mention how much better the Cap is than seeing a show at MSG or other arenas.

Funky_Catskills

lots of folks i know bailing on phil and fake jerry to go see dead and co...should be plenty of room to dance at the cap

COOL!!!! Then I made the right choice... hahaha...

Surrounded by people that aren't going to be replacing their Furthur shirts with Dead and Company shirts tucked into their middle aged waistline... These shows are for the people that never saw Jerry or love Bobby.. I get it..

JK may've played - but he's awesome... Stanely Jordon is amazing....

Funky_Catskills

I'd much rather see Phil and Friends. They switch it up a whole lot more...between the lineup changes and the way Phil lets them go with it and get out there in the music. Not to mention how much better the Cap is than seeing a show at MSG or other arenas.

'xactly

i love phils sound, a vital cog in the GD machine no doubt, but i find phil and friends appeals more the phish generation because they're basically about setlists, segues and shredding...always great players, but fairly soulless... i've never felt the x factor at those shows

just listened to 11/1 msg, and decided to pull the trigger on philly...scored lower bowl seats below face...can't wait to see this...going forward, i will be going to any shows they do within 3 hours of my home...oddly enough secondary market ticket prices are now rising...good buzz i guess

rolling stone review of halloween msg:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...rateful-dead-flame-at-tight-msg-show-20151101

deadheadskier

Staff member
... These shows are for the people that never saw Jerry or love Bobby.. I get it..

I'm a Phil fan over Bobby and given the choice, I'd be at the Cap shows.

That said, I can't get behind this statement. I've got friends that have seen hundreds of shows back to the 60s who went to Albany and had a great time. It's not because they like Bobby over Phil and it's obviously not because they didn't see Jerry.

My view on it is pretty simple

Bobby = first set Dead; structured, singer/songwriter type sets, not a lot of risk

Phil = second set Dead; less structure, more psychedelic, more risk

there are exceptions to the above, but I think that's generally what one can expect

I enjoy both; always have.

I'm a Phil fan over Bobby and given the choice, I'd be at the Cap shows.

That said, I can't get behind this statement. I've got friends that have seen hundreds of shows back to the 60s who went to Albany and had a great time. It's not because they like Bobby over Phil and it's obviously not because they didn't see Jerry.

My view on it is pretty simple

Bobby = first set Dead; structured, singer/songwriter type sets, not a lot of risk

Phil = second set Dead; less structure, more psychedelic, more risk

there are exceptions to the above, but I think that's generally what one can expect

I enjoy both; always have.

that was kind of a bizarre statement, wasn't it? i saw jerry plenty, and i'd take phil over oteil any day...but i've never felt the urge to go dig out an old phil and friends show, much less one i never attended

and i'd like to add that all are welcome at dead and co., regardless of age, whether or not you've 'seen jerry', tee-shirt choice and tucked or untucked

Vortex

Spring Mtn High,

I could not disagree with you more. To Each their own. That is a good thing. First I don't get Phish. Glad others do. I like Trey in Phil and Friends, He was awesome with the Dead this Summer. Funky Catskills I believe has me in a Stereotype, That is all too accurate. :)

I am only doing Worcester for Dead and Co.

Phil and Friends brought me out of Retirement a few times. 100 plus shows of his multi line ups. The Q, Barry and Joan have been my Favorite line ups. The Trey show with Phil in Glenns Falls NY was one of better shows in recent memory as well as the Buffalo show with Scofield. That Althea was unreal. Except for the 3 Chicago and 1 Cali, Dead or Dead Reunion shows I Saw, Phil and Friends had brought the most enjoyable Music I have regularly enjoyed. The configuration with Little Feet and The Robin Ford Era had a muffled sound and was of lower quality than I would have liked.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
89 through 95 for me. Glad I caught a few Brent shows. Fortunate to have a brother into the band to bring me to my first show at 13 or I may have missed out all together.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I just love how Phil is always mixing things up, the line-ups, the set-lists, the genre, etc. I have seen so many great Phil and Friends shows. Saw Luther Dickinson and Anders Osbourne together with Phil; I agree with Bob, Joan was great fronting vocals a while back. Then there is PAF's jazz side with the likes of Scofield, Stanley Jordan and John Medeski, etc.; then there is the PAF with Warren Haynes, Barry Sless, David Nelson, Jimmy Herring, Ryan Adams, Chris Robinson, Neal Casal, Adam Macdougall, the list goes on... IMHO, there isn't any other post Jerry band that digs as deep on so many levels as PAF.

crank

Phil and Friends is great if you like long rambling jams that generally go nowhere. Just my opinion so don't get upset I know a lot of people really like that... I have seen them maybe 3 or 4 times and for the most part was not thrilled. Sure there were great moments. There was also a lot of boredom. My girlfriend lives just a few miles from the Cap. so it is likely we will catch another PAF show in the future.

Really enjoyed Rat Dog last time we saw them, which was a Mountain Jam summer before last. Although I find Kimmock's playing, as good as he is, a bit mechanical.

Interested in Dead and Company and I am sure John Mayer is good...but when I see his name I hear Your Body Is a Wonderland and that kills any desire to see them. lol

Vortex

Phil and Friends is great if you like long rambling jams that generally go nowhere. Just my opinion so don't get upset I know a lot of people really like that... I have seen them maybe 3 or 4 times and for the most part was not thrilled. Sure there were great moments. There was also a lot of boredom. My girlfriend lives just a few miles from the Cap. so it is likely we will catch another PAF show in the future.

Really enjoyed Rat Dog last time we saw them, which was a Mountain Jam summer before last. Although I find Kimmock's playing, as good as he is, a bit mechanical.

Interested in Dead and Company and I am sure John Mayer is good...but when I see his name I hear Your Body Is a Wonderland and that kills any desire to see them. lol

I Only see Bob play in his Bands when Kimock is his lead guitar guy these days :) Crank, I get you opinion too. Curious. Playing in the band can lack direction and kind of just be space in the middle, Do you like that? One of my favorite Bobby tunes.

I know many that think those Phil Jams go nowhere. l love that.

crank

I saw my first GD show at the Cap. in 1970. Workingman's Dead era - I was 13. I always liked the Dead's jams and how they would jam and then gradually fall into the next song... classics like China Cat/I Know Your Rider, Scarlet Fire, etc.. To my ear many of the PAF jams just kind of peter out and Phil starts forcing a new bassline/song into the mix and then everyone hears that something sounds different and follows him. The Dead's jams, other then the big space jam /drums thing they always did, were somewhat structured. The band knew where they were going and were doing some exploring and experimenting on the way there.

Yes I love Playing in the Band.

Also, I have never been a serious Deadhead. I saw the GD maybe a dozen times since 1970 and have seen The Dead, Further, Ratdog, and Phil and Friends a few times each.

Vortex

I saw my first GD show at the Cap. in 1970. Workingman's Dead era - I was 13. I always liked the Dead's jams and how they would jam and then gradually fall into the next song... classics like China Cat/I Know Your Rider, Scarlet Fire, etc.. To my ear many of the PAF jams just kind of peter out and Phil starts forcing a new bassline/song into the mix and then everyone hears that something sounds different and follows him. The Dead's jams, other then the big space jam /drums thing they always did, were somewhat structured. The band knew where they were going and were doing some exploring and experimenting on the way there.

Yes I love Playing in the Band.

Also, I have never been a serious Deadhead. I saw the GD maybe a dozen times since 1970 and have seen The Dead, Further, Ratdog, and Phil and Friends a few times each.

Thanks for the reply. We all feel it differently. It sounds like its more of the Phil Orchestration than the type of Jam. Got it.

Funky_Catskills

I'm glad that there are so many opinions and options...
Otherwise I'd be stuck standing next to middle aged guys with Furthur shirts tucked neatly into their pants at every show..... :)

I like licorice...

Funky_Catskills

I Only see Bob play in his Bands when Kimock is his lead guitar guy these days :) Crank, I get you opinion too. Curious. Playing in the band can lack direction and kind of just be space in the middle, Do you like that? One of my favorite Bobby tunes.

I know many that think those Phil Jams go nowhere. l love that.

I like deep improv...
I go to see Phil lead the band..

Best thing about Phils bands is they are constantly changing it up..
My drum teacher even played with Phil earlier this year.. I got stories...

Funky_Catskills

Dave's Picks Volume 16 is pretty sweet...
1973-03-28 Springfield Mass...

Weather Report Suite(Prelude) straight into Darkstar>Playing..

Highly recommended...