• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite 'adult' beverage?

ctenidae

Favorite's a tough one- what I want to drink depends entirely on the circumstances.

Beer: overall fav is Guinness, of course. Sometimes it's not what I want, though. I do enjoy a good Scottish Ale (Belhaven's great), or a good pilsner if I want something lighter. Sometimes, though rare, nothing beats a Bud Light.

Wine: Shiraz and Petit Syrah are overall favorites, adn I like Chile and Australia as sources. I did have some Opus One by Mondavi/Rothschild. At $250/bottle, it sure tastes good...

Hard stuff: Bourbon is my favorite, hands down- best is Henry McKenna 10 year single barel. Nothing like it. Beam and Jack are crap. Vodka- Pan Tadeus on the rare occasion it's available, otherwise I buy Luksosowa. Zubrowka is awesome with apple juice. Highly recommended. I do enjoy a Sapphire and tonic every now and then. Rum is Gosling's Black Seal, no doubt- with ginger beer it makes a tasty treat.

Gotta say, though- overall, my favorite drink is the one in front of me. After all, I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Greg

Staff member
ctenidae said:
Sometimes, though rare, nothing beats a Bud Light.
Let me set the stage. You're cooler camping and it's humid as hell. You reach into the cooler and pull out a can of Bud Light or Miller Lite that's been soaking in ice and water for several hours. Life is good.

This will be me in three short days. ;)

cbcbd

Beers:
Hoegarden
Magic Hat #9
Tuckerman's
Bass Ale
Hefeweizen
Long Trail
Corona

skibum1321

Magic Hat Ravell (Porter)
Magic Hat Jinx (Fall Beer)
Magic Hat Heart of Darkness (Stout)
--sidenote: IMHO #9 is the worst beer Magic Hat brews, although it is still really good
Long Trail Blackbeary Wheat
Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter
Harpoon Summer
Saranac Black and Tan

Paul

In the summer I like Mojitos best, or just about any rum drink not spoiled by Coca-Cola.

As for beer, I'm with RivercOil, any IPA will do....

Its also my new life's mission to become a wine snob, so that means "NO F%$#^%NG MERLOT!!!" :lol:

I like Pinot Noirs best.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Beers:

Long Trail Brews.
Trout River Rainbow Red.
Trout River Scottish Ale.
Corona.

Ciders:
Woodchuck Cider
Strongbow
Cider Jack (which has sucked as of late).

Wines:
Barossa Valley Estate Chardonnay
Rieslings
Other Whites.
Shiraz.

Man I feel like an alcoholic now :wink:

skibum1321

ctenidae said:
Sometimes, though rare, nothing beats a Bud Light.
Gotta disagree there - something can always beat a Bud Light. Personally for cheap beer I prefer to go with the Beast or High Life (double the alcohol of Bud Light for the same price and better taste). In the words of my friend - "it's the most efficient beer".

ctenidae

There is something to be said for the Champagne of Beers, no doubt, skibum.
"Bud Light" is my generic term for crap beer. Kind of like all carbonated beverages are "Coke", all tissues are "Kleenex".
Can't say Beast is ever any good. Maybe one too many bad experiences in college. We were on a Flaming Dr Pepper kick for a while once, and wanted to see if there was any beer so nasty you couldn't even use it for FDP's. We found one- Meisterbrau. Pure-T nasty. Only two beers I'm sure are nastier are Green Rooster (Denmark- tastes like soap) and Dragon Stout (Jamaica. Jamaicans should not make stouts.)

I'm with you, TB on the downfall of Cider Jack. It's kool-aid now. don't kknow where they went so wrong. Strongbow is great (especially pulled from a beer engine in England. Mmmmm...)- you should try Magners (England) or Savannah Dry (South Africa)- both quite good. Gotta differ with you on the Corona, though- same beer that drove the brewery bankrupt in the 80's- it was selling for $5/case in California. A guy bought the brewery, changed to painted clear bottles and spent $300K on markting. Never touched the recipe, it is now the #1 imported beer in America. There are much better Mexican beers out there- Negro Especial for something light, Negro Modelo for a dark, for starters. But Corona, well, don't believe the hype!

Now I feel like an alcoholic. Ten years in restaurants and behind the bar will do that to you, I guess. 14 years in front of the bar will, too...

Greg

Staff member
Bump. Sam Summer Ale has been the standard beer this summer. I also love most IPA's, with the Magic hat H.I.P.A. or Sierra Nevada Pale Ales being my favorites. Still like a cold Heineken from time to time and I'm looking forward to the ice cold Miller Lite cans while cooler camping on Labor Day weekend. Having been much of a wine drinker lately, but I'm sure I'll revisit merlot in the Fall. Been into vodka lately. The Ketel One is good, but I don't have the skills to really differentiate unless it's shwag vodka like Popov or something. I've been doing cape codders and screwdrivers. Tried the Ketel One straight on the rocks, but I can't really get into it. Vodka, cranberry and lime was a stable while on the Cape.

Grassi21

Has anyone else gone down this path? Rum, whiskey, and scotch. There was a time when a drank a ton of Capt. Morgan (these days, Gosling), then Jack, and currently I'm experimenting with Mr. John Walker. Tequila, anything above average. I just received a bottle of Gran Centenario Anejo as a b-day gift. Add rocks and a twist of lime, perfect. Lots of cheap beer in HS, not so much in college. But up in Ithaca I had my fair share of Yuengling (spelling?) and Saranac Black Forest. At college it was almost exclusively Jack. These days I'm enjoying the scotch and got back into beers. I'll try any IPA. Harpoon and Sierra Nevada are nice. And its hard to beat a well poured Guinness at a place that takes good care of their taps etc.

As someone said earlier, now I feel like an alcoholic.... :beer:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Has anyone else gone down this path? Rum, whiskey, and scotch. There was a time when a drank a ton of Capt. Morgan (these days, Gosling), then Jack, and currently I'm experimenting with Mr. John Walker. Tequila, anything above average. I just received a bottle of Gran Centenario Anejo as a b-day gift. Add rocks and a twist of lime, perfect. Lots of cheap beer in HS, not so much in college. But up in Ithaca I had my fair share of Yuengling (spelling?) and Saranac Black Forest. At college it was almost exclusively Jack. These days I'm enjoying the scotch and got back into beers. I'll try any IPA. Harpoon and Sierra Nevada are nice. And its hard to beat a well poured Guinness at a place that takes good care of their taps etc.

As someone said earlier, now I feel like an alcoholic.... :beer:

Dude, you still got a liver?