• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite 'adult' beverage?

ChileMass

Phew - I'll watch you drink the gin. Meet us at one of the AZ outings this winter and I'll buy you one.........:beer:

Grassi21

I'm more of a whisky/tequila/vodka guy, but I've recently started doing some Kahlua. Before you roll your eyes hear me out. I have a recipe from a friend that is great.

First simmer 3 cups of water with a fresh vanilla pod (split the pod, scrape out the lovely inside and toss it all in the pot).

Then take the water and run it through a coffee maker twice.

Take the hot coffee and stir in 3 cups of packed brown sugar.

Finally, combine the twice brewed vanilla coffee in a growler with 3 cups of 100 proof vodka.

I'm not a big fan of the commercial Kahlua but this home brew rocks. A couple of shots towards the end of you night can extend your binge.

ChileMass

First simmer 3 cups of water with a fresh vanilla pod (split the pod, scrape out the lovely inside and toss it all in the pot).

How long? How much water should evaporate?

Grassi21 said:
Then take the water and run it through a coffee maker twice.

Any particular kind of coffee work better? How strong should the coffee be in general? This sounds really good.......

Grassi21

How long? How much water should evaporate?

Any particular kind of coffee work better? How strong should the coffee be in general? This sounds really good.......

The recipe says to simmer the water/vanilla bean for 10 minutes. I used the coffee we had on hand. I suppose you can use whatever brand/roast that floats your boat. For the vodka, you can use whatever brand you like. I went with the cheapest 100 proof I could find. Now that I've made done the recipe once I would go for better vodka and stronger coffee. The same guy who gave me the recipe also makes his own Limoncello (spelling?). When I get home tonight I will dig up the recipe as he wrote it out and post it tomorrow.

Grassi21

How much water should evaporate?

After thinking about this question more I would use a smidge more than 3 cups of water. After you simmer the water and brew it twice you end up with less than 3 cups of the vanilla coffee. My first batch seemed a bit stronger than the batch my friend made.

ctenidae

Instead of running brewed coffee through your Mr Coffee, you could just get a French press and let it steep for a while, vanilla bean and all. Then you'd end up with the same amount of water you started with (minus whatever the grounds absorb, I suppose).

Or use one of these:
3.jpg

Cleaned, of course. Those things make the strongest coffee you ever saw. In Ecuador we drank Cafe tinto, which is coffee brewed in a macchinetta, then reduced by half. You put about an ounce into a mug of hot milk. Good stuff.

Grassi21

In Ecuador we drank Cafe tinto, which is coffee brewed in a macchinetta, then reduced by half. You put about an ounce into a mug of hot milk. Good stuff.

This sounds great. I love how coffee is handled in Central and South America. Little cups of strong coffee really do it for me. My Mom handed down a couple of old Italian espresso pots that belonged to my Grandmother. I'm going to have to break one of them out tonight.

ctenidae

My Mom handed down a couple of old Italian espresso pots that belonged to my Grandmother. I'm going to have to break one of them out tonight.

If you don't already have espresso ground coffee, make sure you run it through the food processor for a while to get it almost to dust, or you'll just get weak tea.

Grassi21

If you don't already have espresso ground coffee, make sure you run it through the food processor for a while to get it almost to dust, or you'll just get weak tea.

I'm Italian. I always have espresso ground coffee on hand. ;-)

bigbog

Ummm...2 answers:
1) How I feel during the first 10 minutes;-) = Bar Harbor Real Ale, Beck's Dark, or a good Pinot Grigio.
2) How I feel for the rest of the day/night = lots of good spring water <and/or> juiced...apples + celery:cool:

agreed...
Grassi21's...espresso ground...is not far behind!

Last edited:

SKIQUATTRO

at work, just cracked an icy cold Heineken...good to be the boss....and yes, i do share with the employees.....shorts, flip flops, beer.....ahhhhhhhh life is good!!

Greg

Staff member
The Ketel One Citroen and Tonics are going down too smoothly tonight. My posts later may be impaired... :lol:

ctenidae

Had a few Otter Creek Pale Ales last night. Tasty beverage. Otter Creek makes some good beers- the only dissapointment I've seen in their Copper Ale, which, unfortunately, is reminicent of sucking on a penny.

kickstand

Had a few Otter Creek Pale Ales last night. Tasty beverage. Otter Creek makes some good beers- the only dissapointment I've seen in their Copper Ale, which, unfortunately, is reminicent of sucking on a penny.

interesting analogy

Their Alpine Ale is great. I imagine that should be out in the next month or so. Those are always extra tasty for apres ski, pre-Pats game tailgate and post-Pats game tailgate.

Grassi21

I liked Otter Creek's Copper Ale. I tried Rogue's Amber the other night and the thought of sucking on a penny came to mind.