• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite 'adult' beverage?

Greg

Staff member
For me, it's a seasonal thing. In the summer I drink beer, usually Heineken, but at times some darker stuff - Sam Adams, Bass, Killians. I also love Magic Hat #9. My in-laws usually have a stocked fridge with great beers so holidays and family gatherings are always fun.

In the fall and winter though, I'm a merlot man...the cheaper the better. ;)

J

jlangdale

Corona, Miller, Rolling Rock, Sam Adams, and I like this Red Trout stuff I had somewhere once and can find it again. I'm not too crazy about this or that and as long as it's cold beer I will probably enjoy it.

Other than beer, I'd have to tie with that some Disaronno Originale Ameretto liqueur shots. My favorite drink on cold snowy nights, warms you up good and is sweet.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Bass, Tuckerman Ale, Pig's Ear Brown, Saranac Black & Tan, Long Trail Ale, an on-tap Bass-and-Guinness black & tan, a fine single-malt Scotch, a fine Merlot, and in winter an Irish Coffee or a hot chocolate with whipped cream and peppermint schnaps.
:D

Mmm. Thirsty now.

ChileMass

Beer - Guinness is a staple. Gotta have it, anytime, year-round. If not, any of the Saranacs will do. It's amazing to me that the people that brought us Matt's Beer Balls (late 70s) and Maximus Super (early 70s) can actually put out a brew as good as Saranac Pilsener.....

Hard stuff - Wild Turkey bourbon liquor, thank you very much. Don't let the name fool you, this is good booze. Blows Jack Daniels away. And then the occasional Ketel One martini (on the rocks)......

I was a bartender for 5 years in college (hence the 5 years)......

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
beer:
Harpoon IPA or any other quality IPA if harpoon is not avaiable. i still have about 8 sam adams double bocks i purchased last winter. they only make them around january and feburary, so i bought TWO CASES just for myself. still working on them, they're still tasting good. two bottles will knock most people out proper for the night. essentially, give me an IPA. if it's a lager, make it as dark and tasty as possible.

likker:
long island ice tea and screwdrivers. anything with vodka works well. Mmmm vodka. back in college, i used to buy handles (1.75L) of Poland Spring vodka for $9!!! this was around the time i founded the "economic school of drinking." i'm partial to more quality vodkas now. solid shot o'vodka always warms me right up.

i think my favorite emoticon is highly appropriate for this thread:

ChileMass

River -

101 Turkey is the STUFF. 80 proof is OK, but 101* is much better.....

And Josh - 2.5 years at a neighborhood bar in downtown Albany (which was the reason it took me 5 years), and 2.5 years at the TGIFridays out by the university. Good times......

Max

1. Bass Ale :beer:
2. Labatt's Blue (hey, what can I say...I like the bear commercials!) :p
3. Frozen strawberry daiquiri (yeah yeah, it's a girlie drink, but I've gotten past that) :oops:
4. Dr. McGillicuddy's Menthol Mint Schnapps (kept in the freezer...like drinking a "liquid candy cane") 8)

On the down side of all this, and back in my younger and way more stupid days, :dunce: I remember drinking an entire 5th of blackberry brandy on the summit of Mt. Watatic. Friends and I were spring skiing at the now abandoned ski area. This was followed shortly thereafter by excessive vomitting, and then leaving a purplish trail of detritus down the snow as I skied to back to the base lodge. Blackberry brandy has been henceforth crossed off the list of possible mind and mood altering substances. :roll:

Max

Greg

Staff member
Wow. Some of you guys are still hardcore...Wild Turkey, Vodka shots, etc. Back in college, I would drink just about anything, but now the hard stuff for me is limited to Tangueray and Tonics, usually at weddings, or other events. I used to make a really great Bloody Mary back in college too. I may have to try to remember that recipe again sometime...

Max

Greg said:
I may have to try to remember that recipe again sometime...

Maybe the flags get-together could be at a campground conveiently located within walking distance of a libations facility...you know, purely for research purposes... :wink:

Max

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
Beer: Killian's Red, Guiness, Sammy, any jefer weisen within the borders of Germany.

Other: White Russian, Rum and Coke, Fuzzy Navel (if I have a cold, vitamin C after all), and the random Margarita from time to time. Yeah, I know these are fu-fu drinks, but, hey, that's what I like. :) I've also been known to put down a tequilla shot from time to time.

-T

MtnMagic

1. What Sky might feel like having! :)
2. Double Bag by Long Trail, the most potent Ale that is not home brewed!
3. Grand Marnier, cognac with double orange!

There is a State Liquor store near Lafayette Campground in North Woodstock. 15 minute ride. Closes at 5pm.

I would try again:
Some 15 degree chilled peppermint schnapps, a peppermint paddy! Or its cousin Rumple something or other.

Some chilled Dimple Pinch (Scotch) around a roaring campfire

ChileMass

Greg said:
Wow. Some of you guys are still hardcore...Wild Turkey, Vodka shots, etc. Back in college, I would drink just about anything, but now the hard stuff for me is limited to Tangueray and Tonics, usually at weddings, or other events. I used to make a really great Bloody Mary back in college too. I may have to try to remember that recipe again sometime...

Simple Bloody Mary recipe - just use A1 sauce, and maybe a little horseradish, that's it. And use V8 vegetable juice instead of regular tomato juice. Much better. Very simple recipe. Nice & spicy and easy to make....

Party-Size Bloody Mary mix:
2 cans V8
1/3 bottle cheap vodka (no need to use expensive stuff when mixing with juice)
1/2 bottle A1 steak sauce
1 large tablespoon horseradish
Mix and serve over ice

Any other drink recipes you folks need??

Greg

Staff member
ChileMass said:
Simple Bloody Mary recipe - just use A1 sauce, and maybe a little horseradish, that's it. Nothing complicated. Nice & spicy and easy to make......
Since I couldn't imagine *drinking* A1, here's mine (from memory and a lot more complicated):
  • Rub lemon wedge on rim of a pint glass and dip in salt/pepper mixture (like for a margerita)
  • Fill pint glass 1/3 full with ice.
  • Add a shot (or two) of Vodka
  • 1 Tbsp horseradish
  • 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 lemon wedge (squeezed)
  • 1 lime wedge (squeezed)
  • Numerous drops of Tabasco
  • Fresh black pepper
  • Stir this mixture and then stir in tomato juice
  • Add celery stalk and a stirrer with green olives
So good...

ChileMass

Wow - too much work, especially by the individual glass - !!

The A1 is just for flavor - the V8 is thick enough that you don't notice the A1 as adding to it. Try it.....

Greg

Staff member
ChileMass said:
Wow - too much work, especially by the individual glass - !!

The A1 is just for flavor - the V8 is thick enough that you don't notice the A1 as adding to it. Try it.....
That's why you double up on the vodka! :) I thought you meant just A1 and vodka. That would've been weird... :p