• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Need Guys' Opinion to Clear up A Dispute

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Guys are a funny lot. Oh yeah, the bisexual thing....the few I knew who claimed to be were more on the guy than girl team. I wonder if it was more to try for societal acceptance by moderating their stance...

Some maybe; the one I knew wasn't. He had it rough, being Chinese with very traditional Chinese parents who shunned him for both his life choices and internal wiring. I think it tempered him into caring much less what others thought of him. I think that maybe why we got along.

He claimed his preference was very mood dependent, it wasn't typically both at the same time. He did admit openly, though, it was men more often than not.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Widening the stance tends to have the opposite effect, so you may be on to something, there.
We were actually discussing in English last night how historically, lesbians are more accepted than gay men in society. Our professor's reasoning (this being the prof who drove us to drink last night) was that women don't "count" so men don't care what they do as long as they were still available for marriage. My opinion? Because men are pigs and think girl on girl action is HOT. :lol: I didn't say that in class though... But we were discussing women lesbian authors (divergence of discussion) and I forgot whom she mentioned, but she did state there was one who married a man who was openly gay and they had 2 children. Likely, the marriage was like what was mentioned about claiming bisexuality--to make the circumstances more palatable to the public. This was early 20th Century and there was a lot less tolerance then.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Some maybe; the one I knew wasn't. He had it rough, being Chinese with very traditional Chinese parents who shunned him for both his life choices and internal wiring. I think it tempered him into caring much less what others thought of him. I think that maybe why we got along.

He claimed his preference was very mood dependent, it wasn't typically both at the same time. He did admit openly, though, it was men more often than not.
Interesting. I don't claim to have any level of expertise on the subject, but I do find it interesting. As long as nobody gets hurt, it's all good.

ctenidae

We were actually discussing in English last night how historically, lesbians are more accepted than gay men in society. Our professor's reasoning (this being the prof who drove us to drink last night) was that women don't "count" so men don't care what they do as long as they were still available for marriage. My opinion? Because men are pigs and think girl on girl action is HOT. :lol: I didn't say that in class though... But we were discussing women lesbian authors (divergence of discussion) and I forgot whom she mentioned, but she did state there was one who married a man who was openly gay and they had 2 children. Likely, the marriage was like what was mentioned about claiming bisexuality--to make the circumstances more palatable to the public. This was early 20th Century and there was a lot less tolerance then.

See, that's the basis for why I don't understand homophobia in men. Gay men reduce the competition, so that's a good thing, right? And who doesn't like lesbians?

Many gay men also have a particular female frined that they may promote as a girlfreind. To the straight population, the women are known as "beards," and to the gay population, they're known as "fag hags." While the term fag hag has a decidedly negative connotation, I've actually never heard it used in a disparraging manner by those "in the know."

FYI, my earlier career was restararaunts and theater.

dmc

I think its cool that a guy was hitting on you 2... :)

Enjoy it!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
We were actually discussing in English last night how historically, lesbians are more accepted than gay men in society. Our professor's reasoning (this being the prof who drove us to drink last night) was that women don't "count" so men don't care what they do as long as they were still available for marriage. My opinion? Because men are pigs and think girl on girl action is HOT.

I believe it's because men perceive women as not a threat to their competitive instinct. The traditional roles of hunter/competitor and gatherer/nurturer instill that notion.

drjeff

It still amazes me the generalized male homophobia that exists. Probably 80%+ of the straight male population could learn so much about the female population by simply observing a few gay guys interacting with women at a bar or a party, and then apply that new found knowledge of the female population to their advantage! :idea: That other 20% or so I would put into the likely metrosexual category and have already figured this out!

After spending 4 years in college at an engineering school that was on a good year 5 to 1 male to female, and then having multiple good friends that are gay/lesbian, and having been at numerous parties my with gay/lesbian friends over the years (including this Halloween night), I've learned so much about the straight female mind just by simply observing the straight female interact with various gay guys. Very often the somewhat classical "single female defense system" that often gets put up in heterosexual social situations gets let down in the presence of gay guys (especially of alcohol is involved) and by just being the quiet, observant male on the sidelines, a heterosexual male can quite easily pick up some very useful tips to help circumvent the "single female defense system!" Heck, even now, my wife will often comment to me how much more understanding I am of her (at least for a few days) after we've been to/hosted a party with a mixture of our straight and gay friends :)