• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is AlpineZone Over-moderated?

Is AlpineZone Over-moderated?

• Yes

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • No

Votes: 45 77.6%

• Total voters

dmc

I don't want this thread to degenerate into what the other has... but one can view the bumping of GSS-authored threads that include completely irrelevant topics as an act to instigate conflict. Hence, trolling.

yes but if this is a subjectively moderated forum surely the good things he's posted and added will offset any said "trolling". And the person should be allowed to explain why they did this horrible thing to everyone to cause such conflict...

Greg

Staff member
What the hell do my kids have to do with this discussion?

My point is you lecture your kids when they act up. We contact members too, usually via PM, when they act up. Believe or not, grown men and women do have the ability to act pretty childish at times. But I get the whole "I'm an adult, don't lecture me" thing. If anyone has a problem with how something is handled by one of the mods, they should contact me directly and I'll mediate, or at least try to.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
yes but if this is a subjectively moderated forum surely the good things he's posted and added will offset any said "trolling". And the person should be allowed to explain why they did this horrible thing to everyone to cause such conflict...

The threads weren't locked or moderated, were they?

The topic came up from someone who is not a moderator. There was discussion, but no moderating involved.

dmc

The topic came up from someone who is not a moderator. There was discussion, but no moderating involved.

so again.. whats your point?

deadheadskier

Staff member
yes it is a thread about over moderation. And in my opinion, you fell into the same mode you always do. Telling us what a difficult job you have. You've stated this many times. my point is to give it a rest. if you say the same thing over and over, you lose the intended effect and just alienate the people who arent even giving you the problems.

I think you can search the forum over and you'll never once here me say 'oh what a difficult job I have'. That certainly wasn't my point. dmc said things were subjective, I agreed.

I will give my opinion when it is asked. That just so happens to be often lately. If people wouldn't bring it up, I wouldn't either.

but thanks for taking the opportunity to tell me you don't like how I roll. I'll put that in my moderating journal :rolleyes:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Are there bylaws against bumping a thread that just happened to be started by someone that is not in "favor"?

I think it's cool to see some of the really good and entertaining threads that these people started. It shows the good things about them to help temper the negativity.

There were some really good threads created by him.. He did participate and add positive information to the group..."

From the Forum Policies:
Trolling: Any message deemed a "troll" post made only to instigate debate or conflict will be permanently deleted. Chronic offenders of this policy will be warned one time. If the behavior continues, the member may be banned.

So whats your point...?

I don't want this thread to degenerate into what the other has... but one can view the bumping of GSS-authored threads that include completely irrelevant topics as an act to instigate conflict. Hence, trolling.

so again.. whats your point?
That it wouldn't be illogical for someone to think it was trolling and report the posts. In the end, clearly the mods decided it wasn't and let them stand. You asked "Are there bylaws against bumping a thread that just happened to be started by someone that is not in "favor"?" and there's your answer. Depends on the intent of bumping those threads. Doesn't mean people won't choose to discuss it on their own, however.

dmc

That it wouldn't be illogical for someone to think it was trolling and report the posts. In the end, clearly the mods decided it wasn't and let them stand. You asked "Are there bylaws against bumping a thread that just happened to be started by someone that is not in "favor"?" and there's your answer. Depends on the intent of bumping those threads. Doesn't mean people won't choose to discuss it on their own, however.

I bumped a bunch of his threads and nobody said anything to me... It's already been established that I am treated differently then others... Good for me.. :)

I wonder if i got reported... But i didn't say anything to reveal my intent - which was to show people that GSS COULD be a participant to this place...

2knees

My point is you lecture your kids when they act up. We contact members too, usually via PM, when they act up. Believe or not, grown men and women do have the ability to act pretty childish at times. But I get the whole "I'm an adult, don't lecture me" thing. If anyone has a problem with how something is handled by one of the mods, they should contact me directly and I'll mediate.

do me a favor and find a different analogy next time. my children and my disciplinary style with them has no bearing on or parallel to alpinezone.

dmc

do me a favor and find a different analogy next time. my children and my disciplinary style with them has no bearing on or parallel to alpinezone.

I said something about raising kids once to Greg and got schooled - since I dont have them... I'm sure he agrees with you..

2knees

I think you can search the forum over and you'll never once here me say 'oh what a difficult job I have'. That certainly wasn't my point. dmc said things were subjective, I agreed.

I will give my opinion when it is asked. That just so happens to be often lately. If people wouldn't bring it up, I wouldn't either.

but thanks for taking the opportunity to tell me you don't like how I roll. I'll put that in my moderating journal :rolleyes:

I'm not telling you i dont like how you roll. I was trying to offer you some constructive criticism. If it came off as more then that, sorry.

Riverskier

My point is you lecture your kids when they act up. We contact members too, usually via PM, when they act up. Believe or not, grown men and women do have the ability to act pretty childish at times. But I get the whole "I'm an adult, don't lecture me" thing. If anyone has a problem with how something is handled by one of the mods, they should contact me directly and I'll mediate, or at least try to.

What is more childish to me than posting something that could perhaps be seen as such, is grown adults running to a mod "He offended me" "He hurt my feelings" "He broke the rules". I think some people need a backbone, and to not take what is posted on the internet so seriously or personally.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com

I agree 100%:

We're Evil! If you don't agree with us or if you criticize a ski area that advertises here, we'll ban your ass!!!! Censorship. Censorship. Censorship. Censorship. Censorship. Censorship. Censorship. Censorship. Censorship. Censorship.

Bwah-hah-hah-hah...

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

:roll:

And GSS doesn't give a flying fuck about this community, one that is often based on face-to-face interactions out on the hill. AZ is more than just some message board (might be why Carrie felt comfortable reaching out during a difficult time). GSS only cared about AZ to the extent that it provided him a way to keep his mind occupied while he was alone at night in his stark apartment, or taking tombstone orders.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
What is more childish to me than posting something that could perhaps be seen as such, is grown adults running to a mod "He offended me" "He hurt my feelings" "He broke the rules". I think some people need a backbone, and to not take what is posted on the internet so seriously or personally.
Let's not rehash this in this thread... there was already a thread on this. This is another viewing of the forum as community -vs- anonymous grounds for anarchy. There are rules here for a reason, if none other than a small iota of decency and civility. Decrying those who respect the rules as being childish is ludicrous. Do you obey laws? Do you follow the rules at your place of employment? Do you wear shirts and shoes in restaurants?

To discredit someone else's feelings because they're not in line with your own flippant views on forums is disrespectful.

dmc

Let's not rehash this in this thread... there was already a thread on this. This is another viewing of the forum as community -vs- anonymous grounds for anarchy. There are rules here for a reason, if none other than a small iota of decency and civility. Decrying those who respect the rules as being childish is ludicrous. Do you obey laws? Do you follow the rules at your place of employment? Do you wear shirts and shoes in restaurants?

Is it OK to question the rules when they seem to be enforced differently from different people to different people?

How can something that said for entertainment be compared to wearing shoes or not showing up on time to make widgets?

to many of us - this is just entertainment..

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Is it OK to question the rules when they seem to be enforced differently from different people to different people?

How can something that said for entertainment be compared to wearing shoes or not showing up on time to make widgets?

to many of us - this is just entertainment..
To many it's a community where we wouldn't say something we wouldn't say in person.

Go ahead! Question the rules! But if you were to question the rules in society, wouldn't you do it in a more constructive manner than such has been done on here?

Greg

Staff member

I hope you're not serious. You know I wasn't making any parallels between AZ and how you discipline your kids, especially since I have no idea how you discipline your kids....

2knees

I hope you're not serious. You know I wasn't making any parallels between AZ and how you discipline your kids, especially since I have no idea how you discipline your kids....

i found your analogy inappropriate and derogatory. I reported the abuse to the mod team. I expect full bannage or I'm gonna take my complaint to the owner......

Greg

Staff member
I agree 100%:

I was trying to add levity to the thread, Andy while pointing out your cries of overmoderation here are a bit over the top, evidenced by the poll result here.

As for my impression of GSS, I'm willing to bet I'm dead on...