• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is AlpineZone Over-moderated?

Is AlpineZone Over-moderated?

• Yes

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • No

Votes: 45 77.6%

• Total voters

Greg

Staff member
i found your analogy inappropriate and derogatory. I reported the abuse to the mod team. I expect full bannage or I'm gonna take my complaint to the owner......

fu

dmc

To many it's a community where we wouldn't say something we wouldn't say in person.

Go ahead! Question the rules! But if you were to question the rules in society, wouldn't you do it in a more constructive manner than such has been done on here?

When was I not constructive? Haven't i debated and laid out what i thought in a constructive manner.. I will attack back when i feel like I'm being laid into... But as afore mentioned by AZ moderator - it's OK to hit back..

I always question rules when they don't make sense or are interpreted badly... i question the skier responsibility code.. I think it's crap...

It's what we Americans do... It's why we are our own country...

Riverskier

Let's not rehash this in this thread... there was already a thread on this. This is another viewing of the forum as community -vs- anonymous grounds for anarchy. There are rules here for a reason, if none other than a small iota of decency and civility. Decrying those who respect the rules as being childish is ludicrous. Do you obey laws? Do you follow the rules at your place of employment? Do you wear shirts and shoes in restaurants?

To discredit someone else's feelings because they're not in line with your own flippant views on forums is disrespectful.

Where was there a thread on this and where was it hashed out to begin with?

Regarding your questions, yes, yes, and yes. However, I don't call the cops every time someone speeds past me on the highway, or run to my boss every time a co-worker breaks the rules, or ask to speak with the restaurant manager if I see someone without shoes on. However, some people do. I consider them cry babies and I think there are some of them on this site. I am not against rules, I simply think some people need to take a deep breath and not take everything so seriously. Life is too short.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
When was I not constructive? Haven't i debated and laid out what i thought in a constructive manner.. I will attack back when i feel like I'm being laid into... But as afore mentioned by AZ moderator - it's OK to hit back..

I always question rules when they don't make sense or are interpreted badly... i question the skier responsibility code.. I think it's crap...

It's what we Americans do... It's why we are our own country...
My response was in general, not related to only you. However, I would like to think we've come a little further than 1776 as far as methods go...

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Where was there a thread on this and where was it hashed out to begin with?

Regarding your questions, yes, yes, and yes. However, I don't call the cops every time someone speeds past me on the highway, or run to my boss every time a co-worker breaks the rules, or ask to speak with the restaurant manager if I see someone without shoes on. However, some people do. I consider them cry babies and I think there are some of them on this site. I am not against rules, I simply think some people need to take a deep breath and not take everything so seriously. Life is too short.
Check one of the multitudes of threads that came about when GSS was banned... I'm pretty sure it came up in there with the whole community -vs- anonymity thing.

I think some people need to take a deep breath and consider the impact of the words they choose. Written word is an imperfect medium open to multiple interpretations and in no-way all-encompassing of the feelings intended to be conveyed. We're not all the same and we don't all approach this board from the same mentality. Telling someone, "You're too sensitive! Grow a thicker skin!" won't accomplish anything; there's nothing wrong with expecting a certain level of civility in a community.

dmc

My response was in general, not related to only you. However, I would like to think we've come a little further than 1776 as far as methods go...

Some would say it's gotten worse... But I believe in the process and questioning rules is ok.. Unless you live in Iran.. Then - not so good...

gmcunni

i once posted to the ski forum that the rainy weather was putting a damper on my ski jones'n.. the gist of my message was about fact that i was bummed out about skiing being ruined and a moderator (won't name him but he apparently likes rum) moved my thread to weather.. is that over-moderation? if so, i want to change my vote.

bvibert

Staff member
i once posted to the ski forum that the rainy weather was putting a damper on my ski jones'n.. the gist of my message was about fact that i was bummed out about skiing being ruined and a moderator (won't name him but he apparently likes rum) moved my thread to weather.. is that over-moderation? if so, i want to change my vote.

Sorry if I overmoderated you. I don't remember the incident you're referring to, but I'm sure I was right. ;)

playoutside

Overmoderated...no
Inconsistently moderated...at times yes. But it doesn't bother me...it seems to weed out the stuff I dislike.

I can't wait for ski season to start. Today has been mighty cranky on here and like a bad car crash I was unable to look away. Sure wish I could.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
No.

In reference to inconsistency, I think the message that may send to suggest AZ is inconsistently moderated is that more moderation is needed so it is more consistent. It is far easier to be more consistent when being heavy handed than when trying to give people the benefit of the doubt.... perhaps someone at one point got the benefit of the doubt while someone else did not. That suggests "to be fair" and consistent that there should be more moderation rather than less.

Personally, I think everything is well moderated.

Greg

Staff member
I said something about raising kids once to Greg and got schooled - since I dont have them... I'm sure he agrees with you..

Indeed. I remember that. We've certainly evolved, no?

Anyway, I do value yours and others' feedback. If we didn't moderate at all, we'd have Andy's site, and something about a site full of members that get excited about cartoon boobies disturbs me. I certainly don't want to moderate more than we do since I'm pretty open to people speaking their mind as long as it's in a in a civil way. Despite popular belief, very little actually offends me personally. I just try to structure things for what I believe is the overall greater good of the community. So at the end of the day, we're stuck floating in this limbo of semi-active moderation. And you know, so far it's be working okay...

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Indeed. I remember that. We've certainly evolved, no?

Anyway, I do value yours and others' feedback. If we didn't moderate at all, we'd have Andy's site, and something about a site full of members that get excited about cartoon boobies disturbs me. I certainly don't want to moderate more than we do since I'm pretty open to people speaking their mind as long as it's in a in a civil way. Despite popular belief, very little actually offends me personally. I just try to structure things for what I believe is the overall greater good of the community. So at the end of the day, we're stuck floating in this limbo of semi-active moderation. And you know, so far it's be working okay...

He said boobies.

Shock

I know I'm still new here and I think I missed the thread in question but I'll still offer my two cents. From what I've seen with lurking, moderation seems to be done pretty well here for the most part. I also think that most people who post here are respectful of other's, and IMO that's 90% of the battle there. I didn't sign up for TGR because the atmosphere there is terribly uninviting I think after reading it. Here, it feels a little more mature and accessible. Really, I would prefer to see moderation and lots of it if it keeps this place from turning into a swear fest etc. like TGR.

I think there are a number of people who have an excessive whining problem. Seriously, the number of posts that go on that are just he said, she said, you said, no I didn't I said, no you said, blah blah blah blah blah blah GROW THE F%^K UP ALREADY. Seriously, some of you need to give it a friggin rest already and go complain to city hall or start your own personal bitchfest blog. Somebody call the waaambulance, this isn't the psychiatry zone.
No, not overmoderated, just too much pissing and moaning. save your keystrokes for something constructive.
or funny.

Last edited: