Is AlpineZone Over-moderated? - Page 9

AlpineZone

View Poll Results: Is AlpineZone Over-moderated?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 22.41%
  • No

45 77.59%
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    fu
    What he said... F Pat!

'04-'05 - 2 days
    '05-'06 - 11 days
    '06-'07 - 20 days
    '07-'08 - 19 days
    '08 - '09 - 23 days
    '09 - '10 - 16 days
    '10 - '11 - 12 days
    '11 - '12 - 6 days
    Lifetime Total - 109

Namaste you guys!

Alright, time to lock er' down. The people have spoken.

The appearance to me is that the moderators really don't have a set standard on the rulings that are made and that the moderators are tremendously influenced by the chirping of people closest to them.

So, that amounts to a "no" vote. But that should be seen as a vote of no-confidence.
    Happy Trails

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Alright, time to lock er' down. The people have spoken.
    At least all the people that access the site from home...

Why rush ?
    "Sometimes the rock n roll life is not all rainbows & fairy dust..." - Fake Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Silence!
    I guess most people cant post from their cars on the way to work... probably a good thing..
    "Sometimes the rock n roll life is not all rainbows & fairy dust..." - Fake Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Skimeister View Post
    The appearance to me is that the moderators really don't have a set standard on the rulings that are made and that the moderators are tremendously influenced by the chirping of people closest to them.

So, that amounts to a "no" vote. But that should be seen as a vote of no-confidence.
    So you're resolving that the moderators should resign and you get to vote in new ones?
    "Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own." ~ Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Quote Originally Posted by severine View Post
    So you're resolving that the moderators should resign and you get to vote in new ones? Based upon 6 out of 36 votes?
    yeah... it's a serious vote... It's going to really change things...

chirp chirp....

re: subjectivity

I'm not a mod here but I do wear that hat on KZone and have learned a fair number of lessons the hard way. One of them is, you're NEVER going to please everyone no matter what you do so you have to develop a thick skin and be prepared for complaints anytime you moderate.

I've also learned moderation is a lot like being a parent. I've also learned a number of lessons as a parent due to goofball mistakes I've made (and continue to make).

In that respect, the relationship to subjectivity is as follows: Little things happen and you decide to let it slide because you don't want ot be accused of being a tyrant/nazi (whether as a parent or moderator) but then eventually something happens that you just can't let go. So then you step in and moderate (or discipline the kid). You then get a bunch of feedback (instead of calling it whining) pointing out all those times you let things slide, and why aren't you being fair to me now, etc. etc.

Like Greg said, you just don't want to step in every other post and moderate. So when you ultimately do its usually perceived as unfair or subjective.

Is there any way to aviod that? Realistically probably not. TGR handles it by their "self-moderation" techinque, I guess that works for them. I've been on that board off and on over the past few years, I guess I just don't cotton to the vibe over there, especially with the whole JONG thing, maybe I'm not an extreme enough skier to "get it". But its a good board no doubt.

I think Greg and company do a fine job of moderation, no complaints there. I tend to always post as if I'm speaking in person and avoid insults etc. so I'm usually not a target of moderation. Maybe thats why I have no issues with almost any board I'm on in terms of their moderation policies.

I actually booted the disemboweler off KZone about a month ago, he got a bit too OOC. Eric and I have met many times in person and he's actually OK with what occurred, but there was plenty of "feedback" on that decision for a while. So be it, much like the GSS situation once you've made your decision you have to stand by it. I also see no problem with reinstatement after a reasonable time period, again a decision left solely to the mod team.

Bottom line - we all share the love of the skiing/riding scene and love to shoot the breeze about it. Places like this are just so cool, 10 years or so ago they just didn't exist. So I thank the mod and admin team for putting them together.

my $0.02
    Wait Till Next Year!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Skimeister View Post

And therein lies the problem. Very well put.

Thread Information