• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is AlpineZone Over-moderated?

Is AlpineZone Over-moderated?

• Yes

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • No

Votes: 45 77.6%

• Total voters

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I have not read through this entire thread...frankly, I don't really care that much to spend the time in this topic. However, I will say a couple of things that goes directly to this thread:

1) I find it very interesting that it was Greg who started this thread. It seems to me that out of all of the moderators, he is the most open-minded about how things are run here.

2) Sometimes the strongest word or action from a moderator can be silence. This is an observation...but a lot of the bickering that goes on about moderation on AZ stems from the words of the moderators themselves. The moderators of this or any other forum can choose to make the decisions they want to...but then to go back and entice and encourage more debate or arguing on a topic is just silly and counterproductive.

Some moderators just need to know when to be silent. Dont' put yourselves back into the fray if you don't need to be.

bvibert

Staff member
I have not read through this entire thread...frankly, I don't really care that much to spend the time in this topic. However, I will say a couple of things that goes directly to this thread:

1) I find it very interesting that it was Greg who started this thread. It seems to me that out of all of the moderators, he is the most open-minded about how things are run here.

2) Sometimes the strongest word or action from a moderator can be silence. This is an observation...but a lot of the bickering that goes on about moderation on AZ stems from the words of the moderators themselves. The moderators of this or any other forum can choose to make the decisions they want to...but then to go back and entice and encourage more debate or arguing on a topic is just silly and counterproductive.

Some moderators just need to know when to be silent. Dont' put yourselves back into the fray if you don't need to be.

Good advice, you're right. That's the approach that I usually try to take, but sometimes I get sucked into the nonsense. I apologize for my part in the recent debates.

dmc

Good advice, you're right. That's the approach that I usually try to take, but sometimes I get sucked into the nonsense. I apologize for my part in the recent debates.

Actually by not responding you are keeping the nonsense from happening.. :)

Lostone

I think it is undermoderated.

We just had (at great lengths) the same discussion over at our board.

A couple of points from that.

Some people complain that some are treated better than others? Don't you treat people who are nice to you better than those who are jerks? If not... How you do dat???

Some people complain that there is inconsistent moderation.
That will end with the ending of the use of humans for moderators.

But my bigest complaint about under moderation is how many people I run into that say they don't participate in the board because there is too much crap.

It was said that there were only 10 people posting, at one time. Yet, when there was a post, there would be 150 views. Why is that? Because there are a lot of people that read the board, but have no interest in sinking to the intellectual level of some of the posters.

Some people think high school was the best part of their lives. But some of us are glad to leave those times, attitudes and ways of acting, behind.

There is a reason I don't hang out with high school kids. (And no... it wasn't that court order. :razz:) They have a right to act like a bunch of teenagers. I would hate to have hung out with me, when I was that age.

Now, I prefer a more respectful attitude. And if it comes to telling people to grow up, and gain more insightful opinions, making those that enjoy the bitch-slap fight, go elsewhere... That is my preference.

Am I saying that everyone should act like their working on their dissertations? No... only that they should treat others as they would in real life, and as they would like to be treated.

But the real reason I replied was to make this silly thing go away! :roll:
Hello Lostone! It appears that you have not posted on our forums in some time. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member?

bvibert

Staff member
I haven't even been around soooo

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

Don't worry, we're taking care of it in your absence... :lol:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

bvibert

Staff member
I only see 2. Yet, both seem to have an overwhelming number of posts by 1 member in particular...

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

Funny how that works..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

skiNEwhere

This is ridiculous. Just got back from skiing and I was going to post on the "ski the east" thread that Scotty started today, but can't because of a troll that is a consistent pain to AZ and is "stirring the pot" even if there is nothing to stir.

I think this was an excellent post, but I can't comment on it now because of this person. Is anything going to be done, or is this forum going to have good threads brought to its knees?

I'm assuming there is a hidden moderator forum, I hope something or some plan is in the works :/

Savemeasammy

I'm sure even if this guy somehow gets banned, he will resurface with another name. Perhaps we should all just ignore his posts! I don't mind the disagreements - but it is very annoying when he disagrees with things things that people DON'T EVEN SAY!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twinplanx

I'm sure even if this guy somehow gets banned, he will resurface with another name. Perhaps we should all just ignore his posts! I don't mind the disagreements - but it is very annoying when he disagrees with things things that people DON'T EVEN SAY!

I think they use the guys IP address, but these days with multiple apps and such I'm not sure how effective that would be? Still surprised that GSS has not resurfaced, at least his posts were entertaining...

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

bvibert

Staff member
This is ridiculous. Just got back from skiing and I was going to post on the "ski the east" thread that Scotty started today, but can't because of a troll that is a consistent pain to AZ and is "stirring the pot" even if there is nothing to stir.

I think this was an excellent post, but I can't comment on it now because of this person. Is anything going to be done, or is this forum going to have good threads brought to its knees?

I'm assuming there is a hidden moderator forum, I hope something or some plan is in the works :/

Rest assured that his antics are not going unnoticed. As we've said in the past; we don't like to jump right to the ban, we'd prefer to give people the chance to shape up.

gmcunni

banhammer.png

bdfreetuna

Moderators on this forum are good and level headed in all contentious situations I've seen here.

I saw the Ski The East thread when it was locked and it's cleaned up now and back open. Well played.