• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is AlpineZone Over-moderated?

Is AlpineZone Over-moderated?

• Yes

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • No

Votes: 45 77.6%

• Total voters

Dr Skimeister

The appearance to me is that the moderators really don't have a set standard on the rulings that are made and that the moderators are tremendously influenced by the chirping of people closest to them.

So, that amounts to a "no" vote. But that should be seen as a vote of no-confidence.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
The appearance to me is that the moderators really don't have a set standard on the rulings that are made and that the moderators are tremendously influenced by the chirping of people closest to them.

So, that amounts to a "no" vote. But that should be seen as a vote of no-confidence.
So you're resolving that the moderators should resign and you get to vote in new ones?

dmc

So you're resolving that the moderators should resign and you get to vote in new ones? Based upon 6 out of 36 votes?

yeah... it's a serious vote... It's going to really change things... :)

chirp chirp....

SkiDork

re: subjectivity

I'm not a mod here but I do wear that hat on KZone and have learned a fair number of lessons the hard way. One of them is, you're NEVER going to please everyone no matter what you do so you have to develop a thick skin and be prepared for complaints anytime you moderate.

I've also learned moderation is a lot like being a parent. I've also learned a number of lessons as a parent due to goofball mistakes I've made (and continue to make).

In that respect, the relationship to subjectivity is as follows: Little things happen and you decide to let it slide because you don't want ot be accused of being a tyrant/nazi (whether as a parent or moderator) but then eventually something happens that you just can't let go. So then you step in and moderate (or discipline the kid). You then get a bunch of feedback (instead of calling it whining) pointing out all those times you let things slide, and why aren't you being fair to me now, etc. etc.

Like Greg said, you just don't want to step in every other post and moderate. So when you ultimately do its usually perceived as unfair or subjective.

Is there any way to aviod that? Realistically probably not. TGR handles it by their "self-moderation" techinque, I guess that works for them. I've been on that board off and on over the past few years, I guess I just don't cotton to the vibe over there, especially with the whole JONG thing, maybe I'm not an extreme enough skier to "get it". But its a good board no doubt.

I think Greg and company do a fine job of moderation, no complaints there. I tend to always post as if I'm speaking in person and avoid insults etc. so I'm usually not a target of moderation. Maybe thats why I have no issues with almost any board I'm on in terms of their moderation policies.

I actually booted the disemboweler off KZone about a month ago, he got a bit too OOC. Eric and I have met many times in person and he's actually OK with what occurred, but there was plenty of "feedback" on that decision for a while. So be it, much like the GSS situation once you've made your decision you have to stand by it. I also see no problem with reinstatement after a reasonable time period, again a decision left solely to the mod team.

Bottom line - we all share the love of the skiing/riding scene and love to shoot the breeze about it. Places like this are just so cool, 10 years or so ago they just didn't exist. So I thank the mod and admin team for putting them together.

my $0.02

Riverskier

And therein lies the problem. Very well put.

deadheadskier

Staff member

For the record, I've only physically 'met' about 10 members here, most only 1 time. I wouldn't say I'm influenced at all by the chirping of people 'closest' to me as there really aren't any.......

Any decisions I make are based off of what I interpret Greg has attempted to create and maintain over the years with this site. I've always very much enjoyed it here over my time, much more so than the other ski boards out there. Maintaining a civil and informative environment, which really doesn't require much moderation at all is what I view the 'job' to be.

ps. my apologies in advance to 2knees if that came off as a lecture. ;)

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com

BTW, since I know this misconception has been floating around before (and I'm in a unique position here regarding the mods), I have no influence whatsoever over what the mods do or say. I don't even know what they're discussing or their decisions because I am not part of the process. My "chirping" amounts to nothing.

dmc

BTW, since I know this misconception has been floating around before (and I'm in a unique position here regarding the mods), I have no influence whatsoever over what the mods do or say. I don't even know what they're discussing or their decisions because I am not part of the process. My "chirping" amounts to nothing.

riiiight.... :)

wink wink.. nudge nudge...

Weather you like it or not your relationship with a moderator has affected the way this site is moderated and certain people have been treated.

It may be indirect but it happened..

dmc

For the record, I've only physically 'met' about 10 members here, most only 1 time. I wouldn't say I'm influenced at all by the chirping of people 'closest' to me as there really aren't any.......

And you don't talk to any of the members on the internet? Is that number only 10 as well?

you guys crack me up... :)

skidmarks

Does free speak ever work without pissing someone off? I just want to say, you know, can we all get along?
Is AlpineZone Over-moderated? I voted no although I had my run in with the law some years ago.
I also thought the Howard Stern Show was more fun and creative when it was under control.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
riiiight.... :)

wink wink.. nudge nudge...

Weather you like it or not your relationship with a moderator has affected the way this site is moderated and certain people have been treated.

It may be indirect but it happened..
I would certainly hope that if any other members were treated the ways we have been, the results would be the same. It is not because of that connection.

But if you guys want to hold on to the fact that the mods are playing favorites, then what makes you think any other person could be completely objective? Nobody is purely a world unto himself; there will be various influences, including the people s/he knows, whether directly or indirectly. To expect mods to work within a vacuum apart from the community is to expect something that cannot possibly exist.

bvibert

Staff member

Like we said, you can't please anyone. We actually do have set standards of how we should uphold the forum policies, but nothing is black and white. To say that we're tremendously influenced by those closest to us is extremely laughable, and insulting at the same time. Our decisions are influenced by the feedback we get from the community, whether it be from reported posts, PMs, or posts in regular threads. Many times posts are reported by those not in this perceived 'inner circle', and there have been several occasions where we've got reported posts from people we consider friends that we didn't do anything about because we didn't find anything wrong with the post, or nothing worth moderator intervention anyway. Some members who have been banned in the past stayed around longer than we felt they should have because we felt part of the community valued them in some way, however members who continue thumb their nose at the forum policies and/or be disrespectful to other members will eventually be banned, no matter what some part of the community thinks.

Like I said, we can't please everyone. I'm sorry that you guys feel that way.

dmc

I would certainly hope that if any other members were treated the ways we have been, the results would be the same. It is not because of that connection.

But if you guys want to hold on to the fact that the mods are playing favorites, then what makes you think any other person could be completely objective? Nobody is purely a world unto himself; there will be various influences, including the people s/he knows, whether directly or indirectly. To expect mods to work within a vacuum apart from the community is to expect something that cannot possibly exist.

There are levels of subjectivity.. It's not that your either subjective or not..

The public events of your relationship and the dragging of them up have affected this board and the members. Greg even admitted that.. how could it not?

I'm uncomfortable taling about this... still....

deadheadskier

Staff member
And you don't talk to any of the members on the internet? Is that number only 10 as well?

you guys crack me up... :)

99.99% of any conversation I have with the members of Alpinezone is in the forum itself for everyone to see.

If you think I'm pm or fb buddies with a bunch of people, you are sorely mistaken.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
There are levels of subjectivity.. It's not that your either subjective or not..

The public events of your relationship and the dragging of them up have affected this board and the members. Greg even admitted that.. how could it not?

I'm uncomfortable taling about this... still....

How does that connect to the mods, however? If anything else, my understanding is that they allowed a particular person to stay longer than warranted because of concerns of a public outcry of nepotism (and this is from what the mods themselves have posted in the multitude of threads beating this dead horse). So if you want to take out that mod connection and situation from the equation, then the banning likely would have occurred earlier (and there still would be people complaining about it).

You think you're uncomfortable? Think about those actually involved...

So how do you propose examining these levels of subjectivity to discover if a person is mod-worthy? (And remember that Greg is actually the one who chooses mods... this is his forum, after all...)