• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is AlpineZone Over-moderated?

Is AlpineZone Over-moderated?

• Yes

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • No

Votes: 45 77.6%

• Total voters

Greg

Staff member
Watch how this thread gets nasty(mean) quickly...

SKIDORK: "Been busy this morning I see..."

Glenn: "Some people just can't let things go apparently. How long until I'm "waaahwahhh'd" elsewhere?"

Greg: "The fact that grown adults insist upon acting this way is amazing to me. It should pretty embarrassing really. It appears to be a small group that does it just so they actually have something to talk about elsewhere."

deadheadskier: "pretty much

Also somewhat like a young kid messing with the neighbors dog to see how far he can push it before it bites. In this case the 'bite' is a warning from a moderator of which they go and brag about to their friends. What ensues is a brewhaha about the over moderating here. Pretty pathetic"

DMC: "You can be very mean.

Are there bylaws against bumping a thread that just happened to be started by someone that is not in "favor"?

I think it's cool to see some of the really good and entertaining threads that these people started. It shows the good things about them to help temper the negativity.

There were some really good threads created by him.. He did participate and add positive information to the group..."

There was no where for that thread to go, but down. :lol: And I stand by my initial post 100%.

dmc

I've seen you been given the benefit of the doubt more than most dmc. If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you.

I was using myself as an example... work with me here brah....

deadheadskier

Staff member
I was using myself as an example... work with me here brah....

and you are a good example. You said that this place is moderated subjectively. I agree with you. People do build up credibility. Others go in the opposite direction.

dmc

There was no where for that thread to go, but down. :lol: And I stand by my initial post 100%.

Agreed but it was dhs that amped it up to the next level... and as much as you, brian and dhs need to defend yourselves so do we... Unless we are not allowed to..

this didnt need to happen... if dhs would've just let it go by...

Greg

Staff member
No, but sometimes when a redundant thread is posted (and locked) I would have like to seen it merged with the "original" topic. On that note, I mentioned that in a (redundant) thread recently, and poof! Threads were merged and conversations continued.

If something like happens report it and suggest a merge. That's the quickest way for us to spot it.

dmc

and you are a good example. You said that this place is moderated subjectively. I agree with you. People do build up credibility. Others go in the opposite direction.

But some people may see different credibility then others see... i get away with a ton i know it... and i know it pisses some people off... But it's the path you chose.. sides are taken without anyone saying so...

"commisars and pin striped bosses roll the dice - Any way they roll guess who gets to pay the price?"

deadheadskier

Staff member
Agreed but it was dhs that amped it up to the next level... and as much as you, brian and dhs need to defend yourselves so do we... Unless we are not allowed to..

this didnt need to happen... if dhs would've just let it go by...

so, you're placing the blame of 28 page thread all on me. I feel honored dmc

dmc

so, you're placing the blame of 28 page thread all on me. I feel honored dmc

chill... chill.... chill....

I was just pointing out where i think things went bad on the moderator side..

I think other then Puckit being up my ass it's a great thread... I think it's been needed to heal the great schism...
I actually want to drink a beer with Brian now... never felt that way... Sure he doesn't care less... just thought I'd throw it out there...

Greg

Staff member
I actually want to drink a beer with Brian now... never felt that way... Sure he doesn't care less... just thought I'd throw it out there...

Brian prefers rum. In ludicrous quantities.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Are there bylaws against bumping a thread that just happened to be started by someone that is not in "favor"?

I think it's cool to see some of the really good and entertaining threads that these people started. It shows the good things about them to help temper the negativity.

There were some really good threads created by him.. He did participate and add positive information to the group..."

From the Forum Policies:
Trolling: Any message deemed a "troll" post made only to instigate debate or conflict will be permanently deleted. Chronic offenders of this policy will be warned one time. If the behavior continues, the member may be banned.

Riverskier

I voted yes, but for the most part I would say no. However, the moderating that does take place is extremely subjective. And yes, a certain amount of that is unavoidable. However, much of it can very easily be objective. Ex. Either allow cursing or don't. Allow political commentary or don't. I will refrain from posting any specific examples, but people seem to be held to different standards here as well. If certain people take offense to a comment the moderating hammer comes down.

2knees

It's a thread on whether or not people feel this place is over moderated. Seems like a fairly appropriate place to post my feelings on it no? And I would also disagree in that in the Skidbump thread, both Greg and Brian have defended how and why they've moderated certain situations.

As if often said, if you don't like it, don't read it.

yes it is a thread about over moderation. And in my opinion, you fell into the same mode you always do. Telling us what a difficult job you have. You've stated this many times. my point is to give it a rest. if you say the same thing over and over, you lose the intended effect and just alienate the people who arent even giving you the problems.

I have no idea what you're trying to insinuate with that last comment.

i read what i want and i comment on what i want. what i've NEVER done in here is tell people they should stop posting about a subject. I may poke fun at people who constantly bring up the same subjects, just as i take plenty of heat for talking about sundown and moguls.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'll take a nice heavy Red Wine or a Woodford Reserve Bourbon neat with a Smuttynose Pale Ale back.

thanks

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
So whats your point...?
I don't want this thread to degenerate into what the other has... but one can view the bumping of GSS-authored threads that include completely irrelevant topics as an act to instigate conflict. Hence, trolling.