• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bring on Winter - Firewood Stoke

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Finally finished my woodshed a few weeks ago and filled it up with 4 cord of wood. All stuff that my dad and I cut. It is mostly a mix of Yellow Birch, Cherry, Maple, Elm, Poplar, and Tamarack.

DSC06700.JPG

Last year I didn't have as much wood so I was conservative with burning. This year I plan to burn as much as possible until it is gone. That way I will know how much I need next year.

Last edited:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Hmm... haven't take a picture recently. This was the stockpile as of last spring:

P1020382.JPG

Since then I've burned probably half a cord, and sold four or five.

Glenn

I've got maybe a cord and a 1/4 up in VT. I've got probably a 1/2 cord of scrounge wood here in CT. I need to get a saw to process the larger rounds. No way you can wedge a 26"+ split in a 20" wide fire box.

I'm a little nervous about my supply for this year. We finally hammered out the "pellet vs. wood stove" issue in late July. I had my hardwood delivered late July/early August. I've been burning some dry punky pine that was leftover from the previous owners. It's shoulder season, so no need for the good stuff. I threw a split of hardwood on the fire last weekend and I got a lot of sizzling...and the stove temp dropped. But it did eventually dry out and recover. I'll say, these EPA stoves are a helleva lot more sensative to wet wood vs. the old smoke dragons. I'll split some of my larger hardwood chunks again and just hope for the best.

Grassi21

Great wood stoke. I have about 3/4 of a cord. Having 2 more cords delivered next week. I am also worried about this winter. The guy delivering the wood supposedly has hundreds of cords on his property (he is in land clearing and excavation). He claims that if I keep it dry and covered the next 2-3 weeks it will be good to go. I am already thinking of next season. Once that second stove goes it I'm guessing I will need 4 or 5 cords per season.

NEK, love the shed. Building one is on my to do list.

Mark, your wood is impressive....

Trekchick

My 89 year old grandma heats with wood.
I'm not sure how many cord she goes through but I'll ask her.
There are times when we wish she'd let us put a different heat source in her house because she's getting to the point of, well.........did I mention she's 89(90 in January).

drjeff

Now Here's a wood pile!
Can't attribute it to anyone or anyplace but it was posted on Epic and I thought it was cool
1000x500px-LL-wood%20pile%20tree%20sculpture.jpg

That is really impressive, really cool, and the sign of someone with really too much free time on their hands ;) :lol:

Glenn

Great wood stoke. I have about 3/4 of a cord. Having 2 more cords delivered next week. I am also worried about this winter. The guy delivering the wood supposedly has hundreds of cords on his property (he is in land clearing and excavation). He claims that if I keep it dry and covered the next 2-3 weeks it will be good to go. I am already thinking of next season. Once that second stove goes it I'm guessing I will need 4 or 5 cords per season.

NEK, love the shed. Building one is on my to do list.

Mark, your wood is impressive....

Did he say if it was seasoned or not? I've found that even if the tree has been cut a year ago, unless it's cut and split, it probably won't be seasoned.

I'm going to get a moisture meter to help test splits. Seems you can them for $20 or so from HR, Amazon or E-Bay.

SKIQUATTRO

my buddy works on an 30 estate (when not working FDNY) they have a splitter in the woods, there is more split wood than the eye can see, it'll rot before it can be used....a bottle of vodka scores me a cord anytime i need it....

Grassi21

Did he say if it was seasoned or not? I've found that even if the tree has been cut a year ago, unless it's cut and split, it probably won't be seasoned.

I'm going to get a moisture meter to help test splits. Seems you can them for $20 or so from HR, Amazon or E-Bay.

I got this guys number from my chimney sweep. Supposedly he does a decent job of rotating his stock. But I am always skeptical of having "seasoned" wood delivered. I also need to pickup a moisture meter.

Glenn

I got this guys number from my chimney sweep. Supposedly he does a decent job of rotating his stock. But I am always skeptical of having "seasoned" wood delivered. I also need to pickup a moisture meter.

I totally hear ya. I've read a few stories about "seasoned" wood. Bascially, it was wood that was dropped months ago, left in log form and recently processed. However, if you got this guy's name from someone, I think you're already ahead of the game vs. a random phone call to an ad in the paper or online.

Where in CT are you? We're in Wallyworld. We're kicking around possibly getting an insert for the fireplace here. I'm actually hitting the stove dealer today at lunch to pick up a part for the Jotul...I'll see if I can get some prices.

twinplanx

my buddy works on an 30 estate (when not working FDNY) they have a splitter in the woods, there is more split wood than the eye can see, it'll rot before it can be used....a bottle of vodka scores me a cord anytime i need it....
That better be some top shelf vodka there, considering a cord goes for around 200$ around here.

Grassi21

I totally hear ya. I've read a few stories about "seasoned" wood. Bascially, it was wood that was dropped months ago, left in log form and recently processed. However, if you got this guy's name from someone, I think you're already ahead of the game vs. a random phone call to an ad in the paper or online.

Where in CT are you? We're in Wallyworld. We're kicking around possibly getting an insert for the fireplace here. I'm actually hitting the stove dealer today at lunch to pick up a part for the Jotul...I'll see if I can get some prices.

We are in Southbury. Blazing Hot Stoves in Oakville installed our Jotul 450 insert. Love it. Had it cranked up last night. I am not a fan of the Trading Post in Monroe. The guy was going to price out a few stoves for me and hasn't called me back in well over 2 weeks. :-( Fiama in Woodbury is another option but they predominatly have Blaze King and Buck Stove. Great units, just kinda plain and look they should be in the basement hidden away.

Tin

My dad owns a logging business down here in RI so we have a couple hundred cord in our yard. Big money to be made in firewood right now, can sell it and deliver it around here for $200 - $250 or haul out huge loads to the Cape in a 100 yard dump-truck and sell it for $350-$450. Been doing it the past few years when everything slows down.

Glenn

We are in Southbury. Blazing Hot Stoves in Oakville installed our Jotul 450 insert. Love it. Had it cranked up last night. I am not a fan of the Trading Post in Monroe. The guy was going to price out a few stoves for me and hasn't called me back in well over 2 weeks. :-( Fiama in Woodbury is another option but they predominatly have Blaze King and Buck Stove. Great units, just kinda plain and look they should be in the basement hidden away.

Man, good timing on this post! Do you mind letting me know what the insert ran? Or the grand total with install? You can PM me that if you want, no problem there.

I just picked up an Outside Air Kit for our Castine for a project I'm doing on that. While there, I asked about insert costs for their Jotuls. The guys said they average about $4,200 installed. I did my best to not make this face: :-o Maybe we'll just toss a small Jotul "QT" in the fire box and be done with it. That'll probably about 1/4 of the cost of the insert.

Glenn

My boss had a large Ash tree cut down in his back yard/woods. It was cheaper for him to have the guy cut it and leave the wood. There's a boat load of wood there...I'd say close to a cord...and he's giving it all to me. I was over there yesterday and we spent an hour an a half just cutting the top part of the tree up and loading it on to my trailer.

After I left, the tree guy came back because he left his sweatshirt behind. The guy said he took a few rounds with him, split them and tossed them in his stove. He said they burned great. So this load may save my you know what. If it's ready to burn, I can use this, while I let the other stuff I had delivered in August season longer.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
My boss had a large Ash tree cut down in his back yard/woods. It was cheaper for him to have the guy cut it and leave the wood. There's a boat load of wood there...I'd say close to a cord...and he's giving it all to me. I was over there yesterday and we spent an hour an a half just cutting the top part of the tree up and loading it on to my trailer.

After I left, the tree guy came back because he left his sweatshirt behind. The guy said he took a few rounds with him, split them and tossed them in his stove. He said they burned great. So this load may save my you know what. If it's ready to burn, I can use this, while I let the other stuff I had delivered in August season longer.

Ash dry or ash green, makes a fire fit for a queen.

I thought everyone knew that saying :)