• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Criteria for Banning Someone

deadheadskier

Staff member
You're right Andy. Jim Carrey......he'd be gone in a hot minute too.

Truly a great argument because you 'knew' Shane so well. Because we all know that actors are the exact same in person and on message boards as they appear in front of a camera. :rolleyes:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
You're right Andy. Jim Carrey......he'd be gone in a hot minute too.

Truly a great argument because you 'knew' Shane so well. Because we all know that actors are the exact same in person and on message boards as they appear in front of a camera. :rolleyes:

If you read carefully you will see " I could be wrong, but that is my reasoning.". What I stated is not an absolute, only an assumption on my part and a question that I raised,

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Shane had a certain persona , he came off as a free spirit, a nut, and a madman (for God's sake, take a look at my avatar, take a good look at that video). That is what I am using as my basis for believing that he may not last too long on such a site with it's rules and moderation, I believe his persona just would not allow him to be told what he could or could not say, or how he should or shouldn't act. That is what I am using as a basis for believing that he may not last too long here. If correct, I would find that very shameful in that such a person would be limited on a ski forum of all places. I could be wrong, but that is my reasoning.

I'll give you one thing, he probably would stay as long as he wanted, but that would not be because of his behavior, it would be because of his celebrity status. It would be because he would add to the legitimacy of this site as a ski site and it would be because he would help generate income. For that I could in no way fault the administration of this site or any other site. But if he were treated the same as any other shmoe on here, no, I do not believe he would last too long at all.

Now Philpug, you say "Shane respected the sport and the people who participate" I'm not at all going to argue that.
But what I would like to know is how do you believe that would translate to what his behavior might be on a site such as this?
Especially if you take into consideration his persona.
Do you truly believe Shane would allow for a bvibert to dictate to him what he could or couldn't say?
How he should or shouldn't act?
First, you've elevated Brian to the status of grand high poobah of moderators: not how it is. Small moderating decisions (like spam) are made on their own but my understanding is that the bigger stuff is discussed among the group before any action is taken.

Second, you're speaking in hypotheticals. I realize you're trying to make a point, but your argument holds no water as it could never be proven or disproven. You have no idea how Shane was in real life--none of us here are qualified to make such assessments. Likely, he'd never have been on the board in the first place because he was out living life instead of talking about it.

Third, as has been said many times before, AZ can't possibly please everyone--and isn't for everyone. Neither is your board, Andy. As much as you claim your site is all about free speech and open for everyone, not everyone likes to be slammed such as is done on your site. Negativity and juvenile behavior may work for you; it doesn't work here. It's great that there are options so people can find their niche. Trying to argue that a "great person" would then miss out on the experience is missing the point. I'd argue that if he was such a crazy nut, this wasn't the experience for him anyway--if he were to post at all, it would be on TGR if he was as you claim him to be. But we don't know and we never will.

Philpug

Shane had a certain persona , he came off as a free spirit, a nut, and a madman (for God's sake, take a look at my avatar, take a good look at that video). That is what I am using as my basis for believing that he may not last too long on such a site with it's rules and moderation, I believe his persona just would not allow him to be told what he could or could not say, or how he should or shouldn't act. That is what I am using as a basis for believing that he may not last too long here. If correct, I would find that very shameful in that such a person would be limited on a ski forum of all places. I could be wrong, but that is my reasoning.

I'll give you one thing, he probably would stay as long as he wanted, but that would not be because of his behavior, it would be because of his celebrity status. It would be because he would add to the legitimacy of this site as a ski site and it would be because he would help generate income. For that I could in no way fault the administration of this site or any other site. But if he were treated the same as any other shmoe on here, no, I do not believe he would last too long at all.

Now Philpug, you say "Shane respected the sport and the people who participate" I'm not at all going to argue that.
But what I would like to know is how do you believe that would translate to what his behavior might be on a site such as this?
Especially if you take into consideration his persona.
Do you truly believe Shane would allow for a bvibert to dictate to him what he could or couldn't say?
How he should or shouldn't act?

I did't know Shane, but I am friends with two people that were very close to him, one from his days at Volant and another from K2. Not only was Shane a character but he had character. Character is what you do (and say or post) when no one is looking, or in this case under a handle where there is anonymity. Shane would have understood the parameters here and respected Brian for setting them up. If there was something that he felt was inappropriate for here, he wouldn't have posted it, he would never verbally gone after Brain and others as some have done here, that is character. What people have posted of late about the situations at hand show more about their character than the (relatively) limited restrictions here.

I have said many times comparing Epic with TGR, "Epic is a restaurant that serves drinks, TGR is a bar that serves food". There is stuff I will say and post at one site that I won't post on the other, this is because of the environment.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I did't know Shane, but I am friends with two people that were very close to him, one from his days at Volant and another from K2. Not only was Shane a character but he had character. Character is what you do (and say or post) when no one is looking, or in this case under a handle where there is anonymity. Shane would have understood the parameters here and respected Brian for setting them up. If there was something that he felt was inappropriate for here, he wouldn't have posted it, he would never verbally gone after Brain and others as some have done here, that is character. What people have posted of late about the situations at hand show more about their character than the (relatively) limited restrictions here.

I have said many times comparing Epic with TGR, "Epic is a restaurant that serves drinks, TGR is a bar that serves food". There is stuff I will say and post at one site that I won't post on the other, this is because of the environment.

Thank you for coming back with a well thought out rebuttal, don't necessarily agree with it, but do respect it. And that is all I am looking for, civilized discussion.

dmc

What does doing such extreme things, dying and leaving behind young children and a wife alone to raise them say about his character? I guess his children will never know..

I still have some issues with that... for some reason... sorry...

Puck it

Is being annoying a reason for banning? Don't answer that, please. I only annoy one person. Forget I asked.;-)

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Second, you're speaking in hypotheticals. I realize you're trying to make a point, but your argument holds no water as it could never be proven or disproven. You have no idea how Shane was in real life--none of us here are qualified to make such assessments. Likely, he'd never have been on the board in the first place because he was out living life instead of talking about it.

I threw this out there to provoke thought. Didn't really want to get to much into debating it, but I have seen some responses to it that I thought were way off and had no choice, just had to do it, it's what I am. New severine, I'll have to hand it to you, you're response is probably the most though out one and I can speak to every point, but I won't. My wife need her morning roll :) . OK, the biggest point that I would like to address in your post is above. You state that I do not know what he was like in real life. You are correct. However, as stated, he had created a certain persona, was real or not, for a fact, I can't say. However, regardless if it was real, it is what he put out to the public. Now, if he were to post on a public board, do you believe he would change that image, or try to keep the bad boy image going.

You are correct that instead of posting here he would be more suited for TGR, that in itself is an assumption you part. To this I can say to you as you said to me, how do you know this. I don't same as you don't. I was just trying to make a point. That point being, if he did post here, taking into consideration his image, how long would he last? Strip away his celebrity status, how long would he last.

My guess, not long. Which is the point I"m trying to make.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I threw this out there to provoke thought. Didn't really want to get to much into debating it, but I have seen some responses to it that I thought were way off and had no choice, just had to do it, it's what I am. New severine, I'll have to hand it to you, you're response is probably the most though out one and I can speak to every point, but I won't. My wife need her morning roll :) . OK, the biggest point that I would like to address in your post is above. You state that I do not know what he was like in real life. You are correct. However, as stated, he had created a certain persona, was real or not, for a fact, I can't say. However, regardless if it was real, it is what he put out to the public. Now, if he were to post on a public board, do you believe he would change that image, or try to keep the bad boy image going.

You are correct that instead of posting here he would be more suited for TGR, that in itself is an assumption you part. To this I can say to you as you said to me, how do you know this. I don't same as you don't. I was just trying to make a point. That point being, if he did post here, taking into consideration his image, how long would he last? Strip away his celebrity status, how long would he last.

My guess, not long. Which is the point I"m trying to make.
My assumptions (since we've traveled down that road) are based upon a couple of facts: 1) as an extreme sports enthusiast, there would be little here to entertain him; 2) my understanding is that he was not much of an East Coast inbounds kind of guy which is most of the focus here; 3) water seeks its own level. Some have complained that this board is too boring for them; clearly, it's not a good fit for them. Luckily, there are other options so everyone can find his/her niche. There is no board that can serve the needs of all--and if there was, how boring of a world we would live in! You're running with the assumption that the persona=the person and therefore he was a crazy nut. If that was the case, a place like this would have bored him from the start. If you go to the thread on how people ended up on AZ, you'll see a few responses from people who went to Epic but it didn't suit them so they ended up here. I imagine that, in playing the hypothetical game, IF Shane found AZ, he would have soon moved on to something to more suit his tastes IF he was solely a crazy guy.

It could also be said that as a father and a celebrity, much of his persona was exactly that: a persona, a label to earn money, and maybe he really was a down-to-earth kind of guy. If that's the case, and public appearance did not in fact match up with personal life, then I would hope that what Phil stated about respect were the case. But ... we're just throwing around a bunch of nonsense in the end, aren't we? We'll never know, and it really doesn't matter. You can make assumptions and presumptions til you're blue in the face: you'll never be able to predict real circumstances in a banning situation, however. There are a lot of factors that go into the decision, clearly, and it is not one person's decision. Predicting what a group of people with different backgrounds and personalities would decide about a fantastical situation is hardly worth the effort...

wa-loaf

Pardon the new guy here, but how many people have been banned? I can tell that Grilled Steeze has obviously recently been banned, and that there is an issue about it. Has anybody else posted thousands of times, then been banned, or is it mostly people who come on immediately in a darkly trolling way, with some sort of agenda?

Snowman is the last one I know about. You can prob still search for threads with him in them.

Greg

Staff member
BTW, our good buddy GSS just had to keep it up even on the Facebook page during the outage, eventually telling me to "suck a fat dick". This was after us giving him the benefit of the doubt and letting him post there initially. That page is meant for updates on the status of the entire AlpineZone.com Web site, and it's a page visible by my wife, my sister, family members, and several friends that are outside of the AZ forums. True colors being shown once again. So yeah, to all of you that bashed us for banning him unnecessarily, it's pretty obvious we made the right decision. A true social retard.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
BTW, our good buddy GSS just had to keep it up even on the Facebook page during the outage, eventually telling me to "suck a fat dick". This was after us giving him the benefit of the doubt and letting him post there initially. That page is meant for updates on the status of the entire AlpineZone.com Web site, and it's a page visible by my wife, my sister, family members, and several friends that are outside of the AZ forums. True colors being shown once again. So yeah, to all of you that bashed us for banning him unnecessarily, it's pretty obvious we made the right decision. A true social retard.

Your right. Timing could have still been better though, but you are right, he's a butthole. Good for you on getting the site back up.

Paul

Like Michael Richards calling hecklers the "N" word, the kid just has no concept of boundaries. I understood trying to be edgy, or "schticky" but he did cross the line, more than once. I never actually defended the troll, but was willing to let him try to see what was acceptable and what wasn't on his own accord. Obviously, that just didn't work out.

+ a whole lot on your post.

dmc

True dat...

campgottagopee

As I stated somewhere else I'm now pissed at myself for trying to bring him back. IMO, that action on facebook is far worse than anything the youngster has done in here. Glad to see site back up.

Puck it

I agree totally with the banning. He just doesn't know when to stop.

Warp Daddy

Greg i think you were patient as hell and gave Dougie plenty of opportunity and latitude in the past , but this latest incident is proof positive the decision to ban was long overdue . A 30 year old child needs to mature . Its fine to be a rebel and to challenge authority but when basic human concern crosses the line and affects others as a matter of CONSTANT behavior ~~~~~~~~~~~~You just can't save them from themselves no matter how hard you try .

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
That was pretty low. As if you didn't have enough problems dealing with the outage.

I just don't get it. Perhaps that's for the best. Glad we're back up. :beer:

wa-loaf

Yup, done with him. I was ambivalent about bringing him back, although I enjoyed some of the post GSS drama. I had already un-friended him on fb after the 911 stuff.

Riverskier

Well, to look on the bright side, he kind of did you a favor. I don't see any "Save GSS" threads popping up any time soon, and its safe to say that line cost him his supporters. While I still don't agree with the initital banning, this definitely crossed the line.....