• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So what exactly happened?

Greg

Staff member
We're not out of the woods yet so enjoy it while you got it! :) I'll update when this is all said and done.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Glad we're back up. I wouldn't want to get too much work accomplished on a Friday. Might raise the expectations of the bosses to high.

bvibert

Staff member
I hope you can get everything straightened out Greg!

Now it's go time, the season is upon us! :snow:

Greg

Staff member
What's the speed like for everybody? Slow loads, or relatively zippy?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Here is what Greg said on Facebook. Seems like a good place to go look when the web site goes down. THANK YOU GREG!

AlpineZone.comhttp://www.facebook.com/pages/AlpineZonecom/284597450503?ref=mf Midnight update: The site is not as screwed up as you might think, but someone is hotlinking AZ images from a high traffic site which is causing pretty high load on the server. I'm working with the admins of that site to get the image removed. Most likely, it's a sig image or something which gets loaded with every post.... It's sorta out of my hands right now as our host won't reopen AZ until I get this cleared up.

campgottagopee

Greg, when you explain to us all what happened please remeber to use simple terms for us computer dummies.

Greg

Staff member
I still don't think it's responding fast enough. Hopefully we can limp through the day. I still plan to move to a dedicated server over the weekend. It was a unique combination of things it seems. Here's the basic rundown:
  1. Normal seasonal traffic increase. We're right at the limit of the semi-dedicated server we're on so the site is inherently a bit "sensitive" already. Many of you might remember early season issues in the past as traffic starts to ramp up. Traffic is significantly less in the off-season.
  2. I discovered some other sites where AZ smiles are being hotlinked. I'm still working with these forum admins to get them removed. One site is very high traffic and it's my guess that someone hotlinked the smile into their sig so each time one of their posts is called, it hits the AZ server to retrieve the image. I've since replaced the image and they now get this. That's the most annoying image I could find. :lol: Hopefully, that will encourage them to remove it. Once I've confirmed they have, I'll be enabling hotlink protection so this doesn't happen again.
  3. A script I was using called vbSEO. It's a search engine optimization script that does a number of things including prettying up the forum URLs. You might notice those are gone as I disabled the script since it is a resource hog anyway, and really eats server resources when hotlinking is involved. I might take a bit of a hit in terms of search engine referrals until all the forum URLs are reindexed, but it had to be done.
  4. During all the various efforts in troubleshooting this, I managed to break a lot of things along the way. :oops: .htaccess files across several subdomains can be a real bitch to manage. I still have to fix the news portal home page, but everything else seems to be working. Please contact me if you see anything screwed up.
Well, that's about it. Sorry it's not more entertaining like an anti-AZ DOS conspiracy or something...

Anyway, sorry for the downtime, and I can't promise the site won't drop again, but I hope by the end of the weekend, we'll be flying right along on our own server.

campgottagopee

I still don't think it's responding fast enough. Hopefully we can limp through the day. I still plan to move to a dedicated server over the weekend. It was a unique combination of things it seems. Here's the basic rundown:
  1. Normal seasonal traffic increase. We're right at the limit of the semi-dedicated server we're on so the site is inherently a bit "sensitive" already. Many of you might remember early season issues in the past as traffic starts to ramp up. Traffic is significantly less in the off-season.
  2. I discovered some other sites where AZ smiles are being hotlinked. I'm still working with these forum admins to get them removed. One site is very high traffic and it's my guess that someone hotlinked the smile into their sig so each time one of their posts is called, it hits the AZ server to retrieve the image. I've since replaced the image and they now get this. That's the most annoying image I could find. :lol: Hopefully, that will encourage them to remove it. Once I've confirmed they have, I'll be enabling hotlink protection so this doesn't happen again.
  3. A script I was using called vbSEO. It's a search engine optimization script that does a number of things including prettying up the forum URLs. You might notice those are gone as I disabled the script since it is a resource hog anyway, and really eats server resources when hotlinking is involved. I might take a bit of a hit in terms of search engine referrals until all the forum URLs are reindexed, but it had to be done.
  4. During all the various efforts in troubleshooting this, I managed to break a lot of things along the way. :oops: .htaccess files across several subdomains can be a real bitch to manage. I still have to fix the news portal home page, but everything else seems to be working. Please contact me if you see anything screwed up.
Well, that's about it. Sorry it's not more entertaining like an anti-AZ DOS conspiracy or something...

Anyway, sorry for the downtime, and I can't promise the site won't drop again, but I hope by the end of the weekend, we'll be flying right along on our own server.

You could make a movie or something

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com

This is why I steadfastly refuse to use emoticons.

deadheadskier

Staff member
what site had the smile hot linked?

I propose a massive cyber attack!

A bunch of my Phish friends on another message board actually did that one time on a Salt Water Fishing message board. Was pretty hilarious. Inundated their forum with Phish discussion. :lol: