• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Going Rate for Binding Mount and Check

Madroch

So, dropped sons skis off for a binding mount at a local shop- and was shocked to learn it was 50 to mount if not bought there (was even 30 if bought there). I admit I have not priced a mount in many years (out of sport for a while- and recent internet ski purchases have included free mounting), but 50/30 seems steep. They also hit me up for 20 for a binding check for my wife. This seemed a little high to.

50/30/20 seems high for a service that takes minimal time and that a lot of shops seem to throw in for free. I have two sets of skis at a different shop (one mount and one check for a railflex swap out) and will see what they charge (dropped them a while ago and never checked the rate....).

Am I simply out of the times or have rates gotten out of hand?

Last edited:

WJenness

I just paid $14.99 to have bindings mounted and checked at a shop (did not buy skis or bindings there) on one pair, and on the other pair that I bought there, they did the mount for free. Skis were last year's Watea 84s and I bought the bindings through skidmarks online, and then brought bindings and skis back to this shop.

I highly recommend Zimmerman's in Nashua. Ask for Jody, he'll take care of you. (realize it's far for you Madroch, but other readers may benefit from this post).

-w

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I'm pretty sure I paid $50 (plus $10 for shortening screws) last year for binding mount when I bought the bindings and skis elsewhere. Wasn't thrilled (especially when they also dimpled my ski and didn't even attempt to fix it). I guess you have to be willing to pay a premium if you're using the internet to score deals on your equipment though. Can't blame them for profiting from that, KWIM? Though $30 when you bought the equipment there seems crazy. I know when I've bought skis and bindings in a shop, they threw in the mounting for free.

Binding check... yeah, stupid. I paid too much for that when I downsized my boots, too. Won't do that again.

Madroch

WJ- yeah, the gas may kill the savings. But it is a good PSA. Will see how much my skis cost and then shop around before I drop my daughter's skis and bindings.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
WJ- yeah, the gas may kill the savings. But it is a good PSA. Will see how much my skis cost and then shop around before I drop my daughter's skis and bindings.

Just remembered you're in CT... don't know where you went, but it was Fatty's that charged me thus last year.

Madroch

Sev- I am hoping the shop that has my skis did not dimple them-- based on your story I reminded them to find shorter screws before mounting the PX12's without the 3 mm lifter-- they seemed on top of it though.

Even with internet sales-- I use local ski shops a lot- for boots, helmets, wax, some clothes, etc. And as kids are growing, and I am a gear whore, these are not infrequent purchases. As they are all priced fairly equally, I would think there would be some advantage to providing reasonable ski services-- as gauging (sp?) me whenever possible is not a way to encourage me to spend money in your shop. While I am no marketing/sales major- it would seem like good business to provide reasonable rates- particularly on the binding check-- that takes 2 or 3 minutes (giving them time for tech references)-- should not cost 20 bucks.

I would love to hear from some owners in the business for the rationale-- there must be one I am missing...

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I agree with you. But we kind of are at their mercy when we have skis and bindings and need them mounted, right?

Let's see...2 years ago I went to Outdoor Sports Ctr in Wilton, CT. Ended up taking A LONG time to drive there and back with traffic (2 hours one way when it should have been 1-1.25 hours). But they were more reasonable with the mounting, I'm thinking around $30 and they did it while I waited since it was such a long drive. But they're too far away for me to go there often. In fact, the good shops are. Suburban Sport in Berlin has been good to us, but they're 45 min away. Regardless, I need to go there soon for the project I have for Peter. :D

wa-loaf

$25 at Mountainside at Wachusett. No matter where you got you skis/bindings.

Madroch

25 is better, but driving hassle still there. The one shop I have not yet checked out in the area is Suburban (although the Bloodlines deal would have gotten me there had I not previously pulled the trigger and become an AZ mini-me on twisters). I haven't comparison shopped on the mounting among the shops I have been to... that will be this weekend's chore-- and maybe a venture to suburban.... just need to decide what equipment I need to warrent the trip.... goggles maybe?

o3jeff

25 is better, but driving hassle still there. The one shop I have not yet checked out in the area is Suburban (although the Bloodlines deal would have gotten me there had I not previously pulled the trigger and become an AZ mini-me on twisters). I haven't comparison shopped on the mounting among the shops I have been to... that will be this weekend's chore-- and maybe a venture to suburban.... just need to decide what equipment I need to warrent the trip.... goggles maybe?

Just go to Suburban, I am sure you will walk out with something you don't really need!:daffy:

I'll probably be there this weekend to get a pair of bindings for the skis I just bought

Puck it

I just had my boots stretched at East Coast Alpine in Danvers. They charged me $60. That is $20 more then last year. It was a simple stretch in the ankles. I told them where to do it. The boots were not bought there.

Madroch

Just go to Suburban, I am sure you will walk out with something you don't really need!:daffy:

I'll probably be there this weekend to get a pair of bindings for the skis I just bought
-

I've actually been thinking about a gs cheater/race carver for cruising- and maybe a dabble in NASTAR- been searching for some Blizzards- GSR Mags or CMX pros- but they are scarce and pricey-- or some Racetiger rc's or Fischer rc's--easier to find, but still have to explain another pair of skis to my wife... after that a mid fat all mountain...and then...

wa-loaf

-

I've actually been thinking about a gs cheater/race carver for cruising- and maybe a dabble in NASTAR- been searching for some Blizzards- GSR Mags or CMX pros- but they are scarce and pricey-- or some Racetiger rc's or Fischer rc's--easier to find, but still have to explain another pair of skis to my wife... after that a mid fat all mountain...and then...

They had some good prices on Progressor 9's, you should check to see if they still have any. Don't forget to mention the AZ discount ...

Hawkshot99

I would love to hear from some owners in the business for the rationale-- there must be one I am missing...

Not a owner, but manager.

To work on the skis the tech must be certified. Each company charges for the certs.
Have to pay $200+ per jig (if not a system).
If a person falls and hurts themselves they can go and sue the shop, binding manufacture.... Even if all of the work was done 100% perfect and not at fault in any way, still cost money going to court to defend themselves. Why should the shop take on the liability for just a small charge on a mounting when the customer did not support the dealer at all?

The shop I work for mounts a binding purchased there for free. $28.95 for a mount/adjustment if it is previosly from us, or you bought boots or something. $60 if nothing came from us.

drjeff

Not a owner, but manager.

To work on the skis the tech must be certified. Each company charges for the certs.
Have to pay $200+ per jig (if not a system).
If a person falls and hurts themselves they can go and sue the shop, binding manufacture.... Even if all of the work was done 100% perfect and not at fault in any way, still cost money going to court to defend themselves. Why should the shop take on the liability for just a small charge on a mounting when the customer did not support the dealer at all?

The shop I work for mounts a binding purchased there for free. $28.95 for a mount/adjustment if it is previosly from us, or you bought boots or something. $60 if nothing came from us.

Bingo! Gotta support the local guys or else before you know it in many areas the only store where you might be able to find ski gear is a big box sporting goods store :eek:

Madroch

Insurance rates makes sense-- to some degree, as do the costs of the jigs and certified techs, I guess. As to suggesting that someone who did not buy the skis there did not support the shop at all is debatable. As I mentioned, I have not purchased skis locally, but have purchased numerous boots, poles, helmets, jackets, shells, underwear, gloves, pants, socks, goggles for self, wife and two kids. I do not want to live in a world where I have to shop on line or in a big box, but I, like most, do have limited resources. I try to balance-- I will not pass up a good internet ski bargain for kids who need skis every year, or for me who just needs more skis, but I do go local for almost everything else. I don't shop at ony one shop though- and in fact regularly use three-- perhaps if I concentrated on one they might know me better and cut me some slack on a mount;-)