• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Baking

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Nice looking pie!

I made Oatmeal Scotchies last night, too, for the lifties. Today I made cinnamon buns. They're in the fridge ready to bake before I head out skiing tomorrow (or if I'm too hungover, they can wait til Saturday ;)).

And thanks, snoseek! :D

bigbog

........Right now, baking French bread to have with lasagna tonight.
Baking bread @home = great. Just wish I had the large-sized baking shelf of fellow I met(Jack Sobon - The guy in timber framing) big wood stove...who lives up top of small mtn. out in the Berkshires(MA). Wood stove had ~4shelves in it and directed heat to various rooms as well...

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Baking bread @home = great. Just wish I had the large-sized baking shelf of fellow I met(Jack Sobon - The guy in timber framing) big wood stove...who lives up top of small mtn. out in the Berkshires(MA). Wood stove had ~4shelves in it and directed heat to various rooms as well...
I would LOVE to have a real brick oven/wood oven for baking bread. I worked at a bakery for 8 weeks when I was 20/21 as an assistant to my aunt (who did the desserts) and got slightly acquainted with the bread baker there. At the time, the idea of getting up at 3AM to get the daily bread made was a complete turnoff but now I wish I had apprenticed under him instead of moving on to the municipal office job that I did.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Whoopie Pies today... Inspired by coming upon a recipe that did not call for marshmallow fluff as an ingredient. Subbed Crisco with Spectrum Organic Shortening and used buttermilk instead of milk. YUM.

19637_274851016256_624361256_4864134_7529394_n.jpg

Focus point is a little off, but you get the idea...

ctenidae

We "inherited" a commercial KitchenAid mixer from my wife's father's old restaurant from 20 years aog. Thing rocks, but only just got the attachments like paddle, whip, and hook a few weeks ago. Have to order them from KitchenAid, adn the model numbers don't match up anymore.

Anyhoo, point is- mixer makes a HUUUUUGE difference when dealing with baking type applications. Massive. Humongous. Seriously.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Nice! I have the 6 Qt KitchenAid and LOVE it! It was a gift from B many years ago and he has received many gifts in return for that. :) Someday I'd like to get the pasta attachments for it.

Geoff

Nice! I have the 6 Qt KitchenAid and LOVE it! It was a gift from B many years ago and he has received many gifts in return for that. :) Someday I'd like to get the pasta attachments for it.

I use the meat grinder attachment way more than the pasta one. Every time I make pasta, I completely destroy the kitchen.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I use the meat grinder attachment way more than the pasta one. Every time I make pasta, I completely destroy the kitchen.
For some reason I'm really squeamish about that. Though I'm not sure I'd make pasta all that often either...

Tonight's experiment: Maple Walnut Whoopie Pies. Not authentic, but sounds yummy! The filling in that recipe is pretty much the same as the "frosting" for the cinnamon buns I make--and I have some leftover.

snoseek

I made some damn fine corn bread tonight with roasted poblanos and jalepeno, cheddar, and a little rendered bacon(fat and all!!!). It's pretty tasty