• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who actually has the Most Powerful Snowmaking System?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would think horsepower per acre would matter most. My 233 horsepower engine suits my car just fine, but wouldn't move an 18 wheeler.

Another area that has claimed to have the most powerful system is Wisp in Maryland. When I was working there they had 110 acres of terrain. They could open the whole place in 48 hours with a 1 foot base in optimal conditions.

dcarbs

if the criteria is most powerfull then the only way to determine that would be the total HP of all of the resorts snowmaking equipment. IMHO i think that the best way to compare snowmaking operations between ski areas is cost per acre foot of snow although that is a hard number to get out of a ski area.

4aprice

Camelback, my home mountain, was built to survive on snow making. I don't know about Wisp's claim that they can open all trails in 48 hours. Camelback does it different way and blows about 3-4 feet on each trail before opening them. January 2007 they went from 5 trails to the entire 33 trails open in about 2 1/2 weeks when the weather turned. It may not be the most powerful but it certainly is efficient. :fangun:

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Chris Sullivan

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
I would think Seven Springs in PA would be a contender for most capacity. I can’t remember the stats but it is something ridiculous.

jerryg

Well, since the question is "Who has the most Powerful snowmaking system", the criteria would be......power. It would be the sum of the maximum combined compressor horsepower (stand alone and fan gun), fan gun motors, and water pump motors, plus any other power consuming/work producing components of the system. That figure would truely tell you who has the most powerful system.

Now, if you really want to split hairs, you could try to figure how much power is being delivered at the snowguns on average, after leaks and pumping losses.

So if you are talking about "powerful," I presume that would include the "power" to cover teh most terrain at one time as opposed to the "force" of the snow coming out of the gun???

I've heard some pretty outlandish claims that Hunter can have as many as 5 times as many guns on at once as other resorts. Anyone know? Were talkin' 1000 guns. That would be pretty powerful.

But realistically, Bob's got the right answer, the most ppwerful is the one that uses it the best... er... is open right now... :fangun:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
But realistically, Bob's got the right answer, the most ppwerful is the one that uses it the best... er... is open right now... :fangun:
Not necessarily true. The one that is open right now, so to speak, is that which is in a climate that at the moment is receiving temparture/humidity that is compatible with making snow. There may be a more "powerful" ski area that has the bum luck of being in an area that has been too warm yet to make any snow--but will exercise its power once conditions are right.

Vortex

Well we don't agree.;-)

Power, temp and guts all matter. I like how Cedric Maxwell explains this stuff, its " itty bitty balls",:grin:

Got to be willing to just do it.

drjeff

Not necessarily true. The one that is open right now, so to speak, is that which is in a climate that at the moment is receiving temparture/humidity that is compatible with making snow. There may be a more "powerful" ski area that has the bum luck of being in an area that has been too warm yet to make any snow--but will exercise its power once conditions are right.

Now Sev, why would we want to let something like logic and rational thought get in the way of a classic male "mine is bigger than yours" testosterone driven rant ;) :lol: :rolleyes: ;)

Vortex

Now Sev, why would we want to let something like logic and rational thought get in the way of a classic male "mine is bigger than yours" testosterone driven rant ;) :lol: :rolleyes: ;)

ya I think that covers it.:grin: I just don't see it as a problem. Mt snow has nothing but my admiration.

Riverskier

Something tells me Jerry's response wasn't literal. What you are saying is still only half true though, as the mountain that open is blowing snow during every possible window. Windows that others have had, but simply choose not to take advantage of.

jerryg

ya I think that covers it.:grin: I just don't see it as a problem. Mt snow has nothing but my admiration.

Snow's got my total admiration as well. I may kid about things from time to time, but I hate the "my hill is better than your hill crap."

What I do like, is a mountain with an owner who isn't afraid to build a jigback in the shape of a spacecraft, a snowmaking mountain, have the must funky uphill lift system in eastern history, and even throws in a pool by the base lodge.

Yes, Snow indeed has my admiration and I wish I'd gotten to see it in the 1970's! :cool:

millerm277

My opinion: Depending on what measurement you use, different areas win.

Killington has the most terrain covered by snowmaking, and most likely, the largest sheer plant. However, it is certainly not that powerful on a per acre basis compared to other and smaller areas.

Hunter claims the fastest recovery time, and I'd say it probably does have it. Hunter only loses in total water capacity to Killington, and on the trails which don't see early openings/are unimportant. They have the advantage of having things setup to be able to run a (seemingly) unlimited number of guns on whatever they need, due to having a lot of hydrants close together.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
My vote would go to Crotched Mtn, I know it's not a very big ski hill but when Peaks Resorts(the co that also owns Mt Snow and Attitash) reopened the closed resort about 8/9 years ago they put in a slew of fan guns and can completely cover the place with mucho snow in one night.

Dr Jeff - Chris Bradford got promoted from Crotched to Mt Snow when Peaks bought it and if you haven't already met him you should. Really good guy and knows the ski business very well.

RISkier

I suppose the appropriate measure would be some measure of volume / time; something like acre feet / hour. But that only tells how much area can be covered and not what percentage of an area's acreage can be covered and opened. I agree with folks who are giving Mt. Snow admiration. We skied there last year over Thanksgiving and we thought they had done a terrific job getting terrain open. Not only did they get quite a bit of terrain open but conditions were much better than we'd anticipated. Crotched comes to mind as a place that's able to cover a large percentage of their terrain fast. Doesn't really matter how "powerful" a snowmaking system is until we get some sustained cold.

catskills

Killington rents a lot of compressors then returns them in the spring. IMHO rental horsepower should not count. :smash:

tjf67

I agree.

I think the better question, is pound for pound, who has the most powerful system? We had a conversation recently about number of guns. Obviously, larger areas should have more snow making capacity.

Based on casual observation, of the places I've been to, the ones with the most impressive snow making are in no particular order, Killington, Mount Snow, Jiminy Peak, Hunter and of course, the mighty Sundown.

Bases on no factual information I bet Hunta does.