• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who actually has the Most Powerful Snowmaking System?

Highway Star

Killington rents a lot of compressors then returns them in the spring. IMHO rental horsepower should not count. :smash:

Tooo bad you can't rent the diesel fuel they run them on........:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Highway Star

My opinion: Depending on what measurement you use, different areas win.

Killington has the most terrain covered by snowmaking, and most likely, the largest sheer plant. However, it is certainly not that powerful on a per acre basis compared to other and smaller areas.

That would be "power density". How about this for a marketing claim: "We have the most powerfully dense snowmaking system!!!" Riiiiight.

Power=Power. I want to know who's snowmaking system has the Largest Maximum Power Output.

This is important for a major reason. It's not only how much water you can pump. You may be able to pump 20,000 gpm of water, but it doesn't matter unless you have the air output to make snow in marginal temps. In reality, the most powerful system is going to be the best all around system.

Last edited:

drjeff

My vote would go to Crotched Mtn, I know it's not a very big ski hill but when Peaks Resorts(the co that also owns Mt Snow and Attitash) reopened the closed resort about 8/9 years ago they put in a slew of fan guns and can completely cover the place with mucho snow in one night.

Dr Jeff - Chris Bradford got promoted from Crotched to Mt Snow when Peaks bought it and if you haven't already met him you should. Really good guy and knows the ski business very well.

Thanks SRO, haven't run into him yet, but chances are I will, and soon and look forward to meeting him in person as I've had many online chats with him over the years at SJ!

tjf67

Thanks SRO, haven't run into him yet, but chances are I will, and soon and look forward to meeting him in person as I've had many online chats with him over the years at SJ!

I would say Mt Snow and Sunday River should be considered the most successful ski resorts in the East in the past ten years!!

Why???? They have both built there snowmaking systems.

I also think Sunday river is taking a big chance with blowing snow early. One year wont kill them but two could do some major damage on there financials.

Treeskier

I would go with Killington. Having skied there 3 or 4 day effort and seeing how much they put down. I've skied Sunday River also who does a good second.

Sotto

who was that guy last year with the backyard snowmaking system? Where is he?

My 29cfm and 4gpm, Will blow any resort out of the water! Except for maybe woodcore's setup.

3-12-09_into_3-13-09.jpg

I think that if you figure out the CFM per acre and the highest wins. So my guess is Perfect North Slope, they can cover that place in a few days.

WoodCore

My 29cfm and 4gpm, Will blow any resort out of the water! Except for maybe woodcore's setup.

3-12-09_into_3-13-09.jpg

:cool:

Thanks for the :fangun: Sotto!

At maximum output my backyard snowmaking system can support three guns pumping a combined 7gpm and using around 18 cfm of air. When conditions are right I can definitely lay some snow down! :snow:

Homesnow0001.jpg

2009-01-310010.jpg

SAHClone0002.jpg

2009-01-210009.jpg

Greg

Staff member

Thanks for the :fangun: Sotto!

At maximum output my backyard snowmaking system can support three guns pumping a combined 7gpm and using around 18 cfm of air. When conditions are right I can definitely lay some snow down! :snow:

Homesnow0001.jpg

2009-01-310010.jpg

SAHClone0002.jpg

2009-01-210009.jpg

I forgot you were one of these whacked out home snow makers. Do your neighbors get pissed? Are you gonna seed Waterbury's first bump run this year?

WoodCore

I forgot you were one of these whacked out home snow makers. Do your neighbors get pissed? Are you gonna seed Waterbury's first bump run this year?

Neighbors are cool with the snowmaking as it's actually pretty low noise. Regardless, I won't being seeding shit but you "CLITS" are more than welcome to stop over anytime and do your own seeding. just let me know when your headed this way to rip up my 20 feet of vertical! :snow:

deadheadskier

Staff member
That would be "power density". How about this for a marketing claim: "We have the most powerfully dense snowmaking system!!!" Riiiiight.

Power=Power. I want to know who's snowmaking system has the Largest Maximum Power Ouput.

This is important for a major reason. It's not only how much water you can pump. You may be able to pump 20,000 gpm of water, but it doesn't matter unless you have the air output to make snow in marginal temps. In reality, the most powerful system is going to be the best all around system.

Let me guess?

Killington

Personally, I could care less who has the 'best' system. I care most about who uses their system the best. In 25+ years of eastern skiing, that would be Okemo.....hands down. Sunday River would be second.

WWF-VT

Killington must have the most powerful snowmaking system because it has that massive 3050 foot vertical drop and it is the Beast of the East

snowmaker4191

Website
www.snowhill.com.50megs.com
I think I've said this before maybe even in this thread. The best way to judge a snowmaking system is not by the total output of the system or who has more compressed air on the hill, its more about gallons per acre. for example killington can pump far more water than a smaller mountain IE crotched mountain but killington is a larger resort crotched can cover %100 of the mountain and be %100 open in a few days where as killington has only 70% coverage. its all a ratio. the better the GPA (gallons per acre) the more powerful the system. My vote goes towards mount snow or crotched mountain those super pole cats are no joke these small areas have some serious output. Im also one of those wacky back yard snowmakers haha.