• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

XC/Backcountry Setup.........What's Everyone/Anyone Using...

bigbog

Well I don't immediately see a thread on XC/Backcountry Gear....and I'm ready to hunt for the components.
Just kinda interested in what, if any, setups are working for everyone/anyone.

Boots: Am looking to try on a few non-plastic_bodied boots in a few days...but haven't ruled out the softer plastic/tele? models.

Bindings: Tele?, 3-pin BC, or toe-bar clip(NNN BC)...?

Skis: A couple Karhus are looking good. Have heard from one dealer that there have been situations with Fischer's Outtabounds' camber being too stiff, thus not easily gripping on ascent....? Shop had just one pair left...so I'm skeptical whether true or was simply "User not choosing right length"...
Floatation problems with 62mm waist...?...with the lighter BC skis..?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
you looking to keep this tele or backcountry in general? you will definitely have flotation issues with 62mm waist, but hey, they did it a dozen years ago :lol: my backcountry setup is 89mm waist ;)

Trailpatrol

Website
www.trailpatrol.org
Plans?

What do you plan to use them for? Off-track, ungroomed touring with a full pack and is going to take a different ski than playing Tele with a day pack. My primary BC skis are 190cm x 85-70-80 Trak Bushwackers with Berwin Backcountry Bindings and I usually wear Steger mukluks with them. But then again, I live in Minnesota and our backcountry is deep forests punctuated by 10,000 lakes, and relatively gentle downhills. I also have a pair of 10th Mtn. Tours with Rott 3-pin bindings and Karhu Convert boots. I can do a presentable Telemark turn, but I also get the workout of dragging a pulk to wherever I want to go.

bigbog

Your type of terrain is the zone I want these for Trailpatrol!...mainly for day trips... I just started to look around at a few brands' skis/boots/bindings...etc...those Trak Bushwackers (70mm) are pretty close to what I'd like! I just don't know all the brands in the XC/Backcountry world....(agreed rivercOil)...coming from alpine I'm saying to myself...Are these people serious about floatation in the backcountry... when they're only talking about 62-65mm waists... :eek: Except for Fischer's 68mm Outtabounds, I haven't seen anything nealy as wide...but am going to look at Trak for sure.
Trailpatrol , any boot brands out there that make a boot or two for the narrow-heeled, higher-instepped, wider-forefootted guy...?

Trailpatrol

Website
www.trailpatrol.org
Bushwackers

:( Sorry to say, Karhu (Trak Sports USA) no longer makes the Bushwacker. The closest thing they have now is is the Mountain XCD which is 88-68-74 in the 185cm length and a little wider in the 195. They also make a "very wider" winter trekking ski called the Karver, which is only 130cm long, but is a whopping 120-100-115 width, and comes complete with a universal binding that will take mukluks, pac boots, hiking boots, snow sneakers or whatever you want to wear on your feet. (See http://www.karhu.com/gear/item.php?p=Karver&c=all_terrain) They are not easy to find, however.

Since you live in Maine, you might want to take a drive over to Akers X-C Ski Shop in Andover. They did have some Kahu Orions left in stock from last year, which are the exact same ski as the Bushwacker XT/Catamount (Same as my BWs, but with metal edges.) Their website is http://www.akers-ski.com/ and their phone number is on the site so you could call first. They are good folks; they now manufacture the Berwin Backcountry universal binding, and have always given me good service by phone or the web.

As for your binding/boot situation, look at the universal bindings pretty seriously. That way you can wear what you are already comfortable in on your feet. You can ask the folks at Akers about boots, too. They are really into this type of backcountry skiing.

Ski safe,
Hans

Trailpatrol

Website
www.trailpatrol.org
Thanks

I would be appreciative if you could mention to them that the patrol director of the Backcountry Trail Patrol Association in Minnesota reccomended their shop to you.

Thanks,
Hans