• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Home audio.....watchu got?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Upgraded the home sound system today to an entry level PSB system. Had to special order the cherry finished B4s, should be here in a week. Brought the subsonic1 sub woofer home tonight and it's GREAT.

We have a very small living room, so the B4s will more than suffice. When we move into a bigger place, they'll become rear surround speakers and I'll pick up some B6's for the main front channel sound.

Push everything through my trusty Yamaha receiver that I've had for years.

Been doing quite a bit of research lately and I think for the money, PSB makes the best speakers out there today.

http://www.psbspeakers.com/

o3jeff

I just use my home theater set up. Onkyo AV receiver, Athena front, rears and center speakers and a Accoustech 12" sub.

Last edited:

wa-loaf

The speakers that came with my tv. Got a bose wave radio in the kitchen ...

Really just not stuff that I want to spend a bunch of dough on.

Puck it

Pioneer Receiver with 7.1 surround that I got from Tweeter when I bought the TV. I think it was $500. Theater in a box deal. It included the 7 speakers and the 10" powered sub. The speakers are Polkaudio.

Philpug

A little of this and that. I don't listen to any serious music, so my system is set up more for video than audio. We have about 10K songs in the I-tunes library, so we just play the Imac when we want to listen. Now, the Home Theater, this is set up a bit different.

Geoff

I have a 5:1 Pioneer AV Receiver with a USB interface to my iPod. At the moment, I have a pair of Polk studio monitors and a pair of AR studio monitors hooked up to it. They push enough air that I really don't need a sub.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The speakers that came with my tv. Got a bose wave radio in the kitchen ...

Really just not stuff that I want to spend a bunch of dough on.

I'd been putting it off for a long time. I was never really happy with the Advent speakers I had purchased with the receiver 10 years ago. Receiver still works like a charm. Most music comes off the ipod.

Local place had a customer appreciation sale weekend going on and the Sub and 2 speakers were marked down to $538 from $750. There's a limited to what I'll spend.

My brother on the other hand is a real audiophile. He's got 3K just in a tube amplifier and a pair of Elon bookshelf speakers, never mind his pre-amp, tuner and CD player.

Warp Daddy

I make my own sound with my Gibson LP standard axe pushed thru a Peavey Studio Pro amp and a Zoom Guitar G6 effects generator ---------------it can rattle glass

ERJ-145CA

I have a 20 something year old JVC receiver 200 watts per channel with 20 year old home theater capability but I have no extra speakers hooked up. Kenwood cassette deck, JVC CD player, Technics direct drive turntable with an Audio Technica cartridge. Also a Sony combo VCR, DVD recorder and a few Nintendo consoles hooked up to the receiver. The speakers are 15" woofer Cerwin Vega. Haven't bought any new audio equipment in about 15 years.

Since Warp brought it up I got a Fender Jazz bass and a sunburst Strat with a maple neck. Well the guitar is really my wife's but I play it a lot more than I play my bass.

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member
We have an entry level Sony 5.1 surround system and speakers. It's nothing fancy, but it works good for watching DVDs. There's not normally too much music playing here, so I don't really have to worry about that..

deadheadskier

Staff member
no need for 7.1.

I agree and find it odd that almost any decent amp today is 7.1. Granted you can still use them in 7.1 fashion, but I honestly don't see the need for the 2 extra surround channels. Maybe if you had a large fancy media room........maybe

Philpug

I agree and find it odd that almost any decent amp today is 7.1. Granted you can still use them in 7.1 fashion, but I honestly don't see the need for the 2 extra surround channels. Maybe if you had a large fancy media room........maybe

I am using the second set of surrounds for a remote room, i.e. garage.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Pioneer receiver, JBL 5.1 speakers. Don't have Blu-ray, no need for 7.1.

More for video than audio.

While we're at it, there's no real reason for 1080p televeisions either, unless you are using Blu-ray or for video gaming.

For regular TV (OTA, cable, telco or dish) there's no content available in 1080p, and it's highly unlikely that the studios and networks will re-tool their entire production run to embrace 1080p.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Kenwood receiver/amp, JBL ES80 fronts, ES25 center, ES250 powered sub.

No name rear channels.

Soon I will be adding a few Logitech Squeezeboxes for some zoned audio.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I am using the second set of surrounds for a remote room, i.e. garage.

that's a good idea. Hadn't thought of that.

One my main issues with probably staying away from 7.1 set ups is just running all that cable. I don't intend on being in my current abode for a very long time, so I don't want to go through the trouble of snaking wires through walls and I find speaker wire to be a bit of an eyesore outside walls running along moldings. For this reason I actually gave some consideration to the newer Bose 2.1 systems, which do a surprisingly good job of creating surround from just two speakers. That said, I don't think you get what you pay for with Bose. The PSBs I bought were light years better for less money.

Last edited:

campgottagopee

Upgraded the home sound system today to an entry level PSB system. Had to special order the cherry finished B4s, should be here in a week. Brought the subsonic1 sub woofer home tonight and it's GREAT.

We have a very small living room, so the B4s will more than suffice. When we move into a bigger place, they'll become rear surround speakers and I'll pick up some B6's for the main front channel sound.

Push everything through my trusty Yamaha receiver that I've had for years.

Been doing quite a bit of research lately and I think for the money, PSB makes the best speakers out there today.

http://www.psbspeakers.com/

Think you should check this guy out---he's a good buddy of mine we call "The Speaker Geek". He's located in up in Old Forge---- www.northcreekmusic.com

I have an early pair of his bookshelf speakers that are incredible---saving for some ribbon speakers now!!