• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tiger Woods in Car Crash

ctenidae

Tiger Woods is an accomplished athlete that can do things to a golf course that no one else can do.

Tiger Woods is also an actor that has had an image created for him to market. The image that he puts out there for us to consume is just that-an image. Just because he can shape a golf shot doesn't make him any more of a moral icon than any body else. Shame on us for taking that image, putting it on a pedestal and worshiping the media-made god. Even more shame on us for being preoccupied with cutting down the god when a real-life shortcoming becomes public knowledge.

Absolutely. Shame on him for doing it, or shame on us for buying it? I say shame on us.

drjeff

Still no denying he portrayed himself as something he's not. So I don't see why it's so unnatural for all of us to feel deceived. He was porkin skanks on the side for a long time, covering it up, and only apologizes after he gets caught.

I don't really give two shiats about it one way or the other, but it's not like people don't have any good reason for criticism. And justifying bad behavior by pointing out it's not unique or uncommon is not a great MO, if you ask me.

In the big scheme of things all along, all he's really portrayed himself as is:

1) A super focused, super intense, phenomenally talented golfer
2) A person who is willingly, and readily donates large amounts of his wealth to charitable foundations (inner city, underprivilidged kids receiving the majority of his publically announced charitable $$)
3) A son who has shown/shows a great deal of respect for his divorced parents
4) A very private person when he's not on the golf course. Sure you heard about his wedding and the birth of his kids, but really that's it. We never really knew a lot about his private life, heck, even his yacht is named "privacy"

Well his apparent, and now seemingly extremely likely infidelities, seem to be out of character for him, off the golf course, what he does we never really knew much about from day 1, so to say that he has all along portrayed himself differently is making a bit of an assumption based on something that we never really knew much about in the first place.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
In the big scheme of things all along, all he's really portrayed himself as is:

1) A super focused, super intense, phenomenally talented golfer
2) A person who is willingly, and readily donates large amounts of his wealth to charitable foundations (inner city, underprivilidged kids receiving the majority of his publically announced charitable $$)
3) A son who has shown/shows a great deal of respect for his divorced parents
4) A very private person when he's not on the golf course. Sure you heard about his wedding and the birth of his kids, but really that's it. We never really knew a lot about his private life, heck, even his yacht is named "privacy"

Well his apparent, and now seemingly extremely likely infidelities, seem to be out of character for him, off the golf course, what he does we never really knew much about from day 1, so to say that he has all along portrayed himself differently is making a bit of an assumption based on something that we never really knew much about in the first place.

I hate asking leading questions, so chastize me appropriately if this is one, but... don't you think numbers 2 and 3 on your list are extremely inconsistent with his most recent behavior? Whether it was willful or not, it still makes him a phony to some degree.

tjf67

Intelligent people don't value people simply by their NET worth

True and they also dont throw people under the bus for there short falls. Tiger worked for everything he has. He did not pretend to be anything other than a golfer. He got to where he is through hard work and determination. If you portrayed him any other way that is your shortfall not his.

He cheated on his wife. Big deal!!

My biggest question for tiger is will you ever get control over your driver. If that happens everyone else can just give up.

tjf67

I hate asking leading questions, so chastize me appropriately if this is one, but... don't you think numbers 2 and 3 on your list are extremely inconsistent with his most recent behavior? Whether it was willful or not, it still makes him a phony to some degree.

How does cheating on his wife make him a phony for be a charitable guy? he was so charitable he shared his schlong with underprivileged women.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
How does cheating on his wife make him a phony for be a charitable guy? he was so charitable he shared his schlong with skanktastic cocktail waitresses.

FTFY. Lord only knows what kinda bugs that woman had crawlin around down there. *shudder*

drjeff

Not really. There are plenty of folks who would give someone in need the shirt off their back and then given a chance take their pants off and play around - see many a pro athlete and/or hollywood celeb as an example (and on a lesser scale - atleast from the financial side, I'd bet that the same applies in practically every town in the country).

As for the parent respect topic. His Dad was a green barret in Vietnam (that's where he (Tiger's now deceased father) met his mother). They divorced a number of years ago, both devoting much time (and love) to Tiger in his upbringing, but they we apart and while I don't know for sure, I'm guessing had moved on to other relationships. Tiger did not come from the classical "Ward and June Cleaver-esque" family, even though many in the media seem to want to portray him as such.

I'm in now way saying what he appears to have done is right, but I'm also saying that if you eliminate emotion from the debate and look at the facts around his situation and what he know of his upbringing/life this doesn't appear to be unprecedented and all that different from what he probably experienced.

And now all it appears that Tiger is trying to do, is take the blame himself and limit the damage as much as possible, not to him, but to his family and try and settle this private manner in private.

drjeff

FTFY. Lord only knows what kinda bugs that woman had crawlin around down there. *shudder*

That's the beauty of bacteria and viruses, the cleanest looking, most visually appealing person (both male and female) could be laden with millions of those viral and bacterial critters whereas the most dirty looking, most visually vile person could be completely disease free :eek:

That's why those of us that work in/on people for a living are taught from day 1 to assume that everyone your working on has every disease known to mankind (and even a few that have yet to be discovered ;) :eek: :lol: )

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I'm thinking of it much simpler terms, i.e., he helps lots of people through his charitable contributions but hurts people closest to him by being a deceitful a*hole. He has lots of respect for his parents but apparently very little for his wife and kids.

Just because there are "plenty of folks" that do that, may do that, or would do that doesn't mean it isn't contradictory. And phony.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
That's the beauty of bacteria and viruses, the cleanest looking, most visually appealing person (both male and female) could be laden with millions of those viral and bacterial critters whereas the most dirty looking, most visually vile person could be completely disease free :eek:

That's why those of us that work in/on people for a living are taught from day 1 to assume that everyone your working on has every disease known to mankind (and even a few that have yet to be discovered ;) :eek: :lol: )

Could be, yes, but if you're playing the odds, I know which kind of person I'm bettin' on. :dunce:

JimG.

Staff member
So, folks who value fidelity are holier than thou?

Screw this...I don't care what this guy does or doesn't do. He can screw a tribe of amazons for all I care.

BUT...despite his talent and hard work, the media made him most of his billions and now the media will take him down and empty his pockets as much as they can.

Good... the asshole got caught and now he can pay for being an asshole.

Of course that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

campgottagopee

Screw this...I don't care what this guy does or doesn't do. He can screw a tribe of amazons for all I care.

BUT...despite his talent and hard work, the media made him most of his billions and now the media will take him down and empty his pockets as much as they can.

Yes you are....

Ever have a friend cheat on his wife??? Is he now an asshole too??

JimG.

Staff member
Yes you are....

Ever have a friend cheat on his wife??? Is he now an asshole too??

After some careful consideration and thought, no I have not had any close friends cheat on their wives.

And yes, I would consider them an asshole if they did.

I do have friends both male and female who are divorced, but not because of infidelity.

Listen, I might understand better if this was a one time deal, but the guy has demonstrated that this is a widespread habit and it has happened often with more than one woman.

Cheating on wife, kids, and family = ASSHOLE as one of our other posters might say.

drjeff

I don't know how much the media will take him down, since what he does on the golf course and what(who) he does behind closed doors (at various locations around the world as it appears) are two entirely different entities. And most likely, if one of his major sponsors drops him, chances are there's another one ready to sign him, maybe for 40 million instead of 50 million, but they'll still sign him.

Also, the $$ thing isn't a big deal for him. If the rumored amount of his pre-nup is true at 300 million, and they decide to get divorced, he pays the 300 mill, still has an estimated 700 mill left, and the guys makes around 100 mill a year - 5 years from now, tops all taken care of/paid off

Then, if Tiger comes out next year and wins all 4 majors (and 3 or the 4 tournament sites are at places where he's won majors before - Augusta National, Pebble Beach Golf Links and The Old Course in St. Andrews), most of the media and sponsors have these events forgotten. He's big news now because he's a big name and there's really isn't another big story in the news that the tabloid media is feeding on. As soon as some other celeb does something stupid/embarrassing and/or some big national/international event happens, the Tiger story quickly falls back to page 3 material.

What I've really gotten a kick out of is watching some of the media pundits these last few days trying to sound off like they're experts on Tiger, his wife, and his career, when they can't even pronounce his wife's name correctly (it's pronounced E - lin, not ell - en as many a clueless pundit has said while preaching moral high ground from their soapbox) :rolleyes:

campgottagopee

After some careful consideration and thought, no I have not had any close friends cheat on their wives.

And yes, I would consider them an asshole if they did.

I do have friends both male and female who are divorced, but not because of infidelity.

Listen, I might understand better if this was a one time deal, but the guy has demonstrated that this is a widespread habit and it has happened often with more than one woman.

Cheating on wife, kids, and family = ASSHOLE as one of our other posters might say.

I understand where you're coming from---you're very lucky not to have gone thru this with any of you're close friends. I have and there's nothing good about it. PERIOD

However, we're still close friends and I'm sure we'll always be. This was an "asshole" act but he's not an asshole----at least not me, he's my friend.

campgottagopee

What I've really gotten a kick out of is watching some of the media pundits these last few days trying to sound off like they're experts on Tiger, his wife, and his career, when they can't even pronounce his wife's name correctly (it's pronounced E - lin, not ell - en as many a clueless pundit has said while preaching moral high ground from their soapbox) :rolleyes:

Good stuff

bigbog

Infidelity on a grand(imho) scale = asshole behavior, which is lodged somewhere between the ears..(beats me why).
Any society, media and corporation...that can build a guy up and pay him the unbelievable $$$s...to go around whacking a little ball into a cup..is likely to do anything when the pathetic side of him shows itself....

$.01

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I was not at all feeling sorry for Tiger. Find it hard to feel sorry for someone making all that money, even if he looses half of it. However, after hearing today that he may have come up with an agreement where he pays his wife to stay with him, I now do feel sorry for him. This is not a marriage, it's a business agreement.