• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whats your opinion on...

awf170

What is everyones opinion on taking college classes during my senior year.

(Knowing that there is no better place to ask this then a skiing forum :wink: )

Okay heres the deal. Im going to be a senior next year and I want to major in science/math in college. The problem is that my schools science program absolutely sucks(we dont have an actual physics or chem 2 teacher) So today I was talking to one of my teachers and he brought up that I should think about taking chemistry II and physics II at the community college in my town. I could easily get there, so that wouldnt be a problem and it would still count as credits, and I could probably go during regular school hours. I was just curious if anyone has done something like this in high school and if you thought it was a good idea.
Thanks

roark

Yes, great idea. I took English IA, IB, and stats my senior year. It's always good to knock out prequisties/required classes. Also these lower level classes at big schools are often huge, it's easy to get lost in the crowd. I found I did better & learned more at the local JC for freshman level classes than at the university.

It also looks good when applying for schools.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I had to do remedial work on weekends during my sr. year of high school at a community college before my college would take me. I screwed around too much, didn't get serious about college till way too late (my senior year, duh). Made up for it later, but I paid the price... That was 32+ years ago now, the world is different.

But in this century, my niece advised me that she as a high schooler is doing an end-run around: taking courses during high school that qualify for dual credit: community college and high school.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Yes Yes Yes!

Do as much as you can with your ability.

I was fortunate to have very good Calc and Physics teachers at my high school so through the AP (Advanced Placement) program, I scored a 4 on both the Calc and Physics AP tests and it got me credit for 2 Calc classes and a Physics class at WPI.

It eventually helped me in getting a BS and an MS in five years time.

John84

You should for sure do that. I started taking AP (Advanced Placement) classes this year(Sophomore Year-AP Government). It's really a great idea to take as many entry level college courses as you can handle.

camhabib

I am currently a senior at my hs. I have taken just about every AP they have to offer, AP Lit, AP Gov, AP BC Calc, AP Stats, AP Bio, AP Physics, AP Lit, AP Computer Science, AP US History, and AP Chemistry (I’m sure I’m missing some). One thing that I would recommend doing is finding an extension school to attend. I was forced to do this due to the fact that I ran our of classes to take. I am lucky enough to live near Harvard, I applied to a somewhat challenging division of their extension school, and was accepted. I attended there for 3 years and come time for college applications, I was able to provide a transcript from Harvard and mark that name on my application, providing me with a good deal of help. They are challenging classes, make no mistake. If you think your going to go in for Genetics at a college level and make it out alive, you better think again. I am currently in orgo II and have a great deal of Calc behind me, it will certainly help me in college when taking the classes again or to place out of the classes. Give it a try, you have nothing to lose.

Mike P.

I coasted & had fun in HS. It was a blast now every 15th & lst day of the month I regret it.

Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
What is everyones opinion on taking college classes during my senior year.
great idea if you can do it. that will look swell on a college application too.

i had the opportunity to do this in high school because my HS did not have a chem ii course that i wanted to take. i couldn't do the college credit and be on the ski team at the same time, so i choose the ski team. not a decision i regret in the slightest. hopefully you have no such time conflict as it would be a great opportunity.

skibum1321

Like pretty much everyone else has said. Go for it. It will let you get some credits for college. That way you can probably use those credits to cover a required class and you'll get to take 1 more elective that you actually want to take.

I took a couple of AP and Early Enrollment classes in high school and it helped immensely. I actually didn't take the AP test for any of them, but when I ended up taking Calc I & II in college, I had already learned all that stuff and it was a breeze.

trailertrash

you should be spending your time riding in lynn woods! if the highschool isnt so great are you sure the community college is? like somebody else said, you really have nothing to loose.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Do it. It will give you an edge. Trust me, you have no idea what people your age are doing to get into college these days. You need to be able to compete with them.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
What they all said.

Seriously, you can only help yourself with a move like this. Just be sure your Community College credits will be accepted at the college(s) you intent to apply to. It won't be a total waste if they don't transfer (you'll still have the knowledge and the preparations for college level work), but it is nice to kill a few birds with one stone, especially with the cost of college these days.

A word of warning: Don't stretch yourself so thin your senior year that you end up kicking yourself in the financial-aid-package. Getting double credit is great, but if you barely make C's in all the classes and sink your GPA, it can have a negative effect in terms of scholarships.

Good luck Austin. It's nice to see someone planning ahead and taking charge of his future. Keep that up and you'll go far.

Keep us all posted on your progress.
Smitty

awf170

Thanks for all the info guys :D

smitty77 said:
A word of warning: Don't stretch yourself so thin your senior year that you end up kicking yourself in the financial-aid-package. Getting double credit is great, but if you barely make C's in all the classes and sink your GPA, it can have a negative effect in terms of scholarships.

I dont think it will be a problem because my classes at my high school are so easy(havent done one piece of homework at home in 2 months) that even if the college courses are hard Ill have plenty of time to do the hw.

One problem with all of this is that Im not sure my school has funding for it, I had a teacher check it out for me, but he said they might not be able to pay for it and I might have to take it at night instead of during regular school hours.

NYDrew

I took classes at my local college senior year.

Enjoy your last year of HS, you got the next 4 years to take college classes. If the classes are offered in your school, then take those.

awf170

Well I found out today I cant do it(well I could but it would have to be after school and I would have to pay for it) Anyway I guess Im just going to take AP stats, calculus and Bio.

ctenidae

Take whatever AP you can, then. So many of the general studies classes are at 8 am, since none of the real proffs want to be up then, either. Get as far ahead as you can. How much can the comm coll courses cost? I'd look hard for a way to swing it if I were you.

BeanoNYC

Keep yourself as challenged as possible your senior year. It will not only look good on your college application and help with college credits but it will keep you from the dreded "senioritis."

Take it from a senior History teacher, dude....keep yourself busy and occupied.