Mount Snow Shooting for Sunday Opening - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    It's really unreasonable to blame Mt. Snow or any other area for not being open. Given the continually warm weather, the temperature inversions, and the rain events. If you can't make snow you can't make snow. If temperatures are marginal snowmaking efficiency is sharply reduced. Economically it is just bad business to try to make snow in marginal weather when the forecasts are are very dismal. Who else is really open with much. Stowe wasn't open today and they have the advantages of more elevation and being considerably further North. I don't think Stratton was open today. I think Okemo managed to get open on very minimal terrain. I was very impressed by the both the quantity and quality of snowmaking at Mt. Snow last year. The weather has sucked but I have no doubt that Mt. Snow will do everything they can to get as much terrain open as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Umm, last time I checked, Mount Snow was located about 45-50 Miles South of K, and in these MARGINAL temps, latitude matters, and K has that.

The big part about Tim Boyd's answer that is really cool, is when's the last time a senior member of the k staff, let alone the OWNER of the entire company gave an answer (let alone multiple answers) in detail like that, and then mentioned how he (the owner of the whole company) looks to and values the direct customer input from online forums?????
    I was comparing Killington's afternoon high (which was 10+ degrees higher than the early morning low at K) to Mount Snows early morning low. K it was Upper 30's in the late morning into the afternoon. I was saying that Mount Snow had to have had temps lower than that, in the early morning hours, yet they didn't make any snow and blamed the weather.

I didn't see any questions answered in any detailed way, the only detail was in his talk about making snow WHICH WAS NOT A QUESTION. As in THERE WAS NEVER A QUESTION ASKED ABOUT WHAT HE WENT INTO DETAIL ABOUT, incase you didn't understand that the first two times.

Weather.com for Mount Snow shows a low of 29 degrees Friday Morning, where ever the nearby area that that actual temp was reported from in southern Vermont. And there was no inversion yesterday morning so you know it was colder than that on the mountain - top and bottom. http://www.weather.com/outlook/recre...6hr_topnav_ski

Yes, and you must know more about snowmaking and the weather at Mount Snow than Mount Snow themselves and people who actually ski there.

I have criticized both Mount Snow and Killington plenty, but when someone from the mountain routinely visits up this forum and speaks pretty much the truth and gives a reason for not opening - please don't spew Killingtonzone garbage for the sake of hearing yourself.

I simply don't understand where the confusion is. The temps would have only allowed them to run the guns for a few hours at a time - and that surely to melt soon therafter. Management felt it wasn't worth it. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by skiingsnow View Post
    I was comparing Killington's afternoon high (which was 10+ degrees higher than the early morning low at K) to Mount Snows early morning low. K it was Upper 30's in the late morning into the afternoon. I was saying that Mount Snow had to have had temps lower than that, in the early morning hours, yet they didn't make any snow and blamed the weather.

I didn't see any questions answered in any detailed way, the only detail was in his talk about making snow WHICH WAS NOT A QUESTION. As in THERE WAS NEVER A QUESTION ASKED ABOUT WHAT HE WENT INTO DETAIL ABOUT, incase you didn't understand that the first two times.

Weather.com for Mount Snow shows a low of 29 degrees Friday Morning, where ever the nearby area that that actual temp was reported from in southern Vermont. And there was no inversion yesterday morning so you know it was colder than that on the mountain - top and bottom. http://www.weather.com/outlook/recre...6hr_topnav_ski

Thread Information