• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow Shooting for Sunday Opening

mtsnowfish

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
Mount Snow will be shooting for a Sunday opening with terrain for all abilities. We feel that Saturday would be pushing it with the current weather predicted through Friday.

The weather forecasted for tonight, to be brutally honest, is down right ugly with an inch or more of rain possible in the area. Now that could change as what has been forecasted and what happens have been all over the map in recent weeks. :???:

Our philosophy is to open with something for everyone, top to bottom terrain, learning/beginner terrain, some park features at Carinthia, and a quality snow product you can ride the minute your skis hit the snow at the summit to the lift at the base.

Last night temperatures at the base area quickly climbed above snowmaking temps and we had to shut down our fan guns on the lower mountain early this morning. Solid temps are forecasted to roll in Friday night and are predicted through the weekend.

The upper section of the mountain above Link is looking great currently.

Here's the plan for Sunday morning trails - Cascade - Canyon, Long John – Beaver Hill, Nitro - Titanium and Launch Pad

Stay tuned, I know you all will, we'll know more tomorrow once the rain gets out of here and of course we are at the mercy of Mother Nature. We can only say what our plans are at this time, like in life there are no guarantees. We will only open up on Sunday if we have the quality terrain you've come to know Mount Snow and Peak Resorts for.

Greg

Glenn

Cool, thanks for the update Greg. I was just telling Mrs Glenn last night: "I guess they could always delay the opening one day if they need an extra day to crank the fans...it's supposed to be cold Saturday..."

If you guys open Sunday, will you be open Monday as well? My wife and I took Monday off from work.

mtsnowfish

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
Cool, thanks for the update Greg. I was just telling Mrs Glenn last night: "I guess they could always delay the opening one day if they need an extra day to crank the fans...it's supposed to be cold Saturday..."

If you guys open Sunday, will you be open Monday as well? My wife and I took Monday off from work.

Yes once we open we're open for the season.

tylerjames

I'll be skiing saturday
glidelite-01a.jpg

Newpylong

Things just don't look good for Sunday - fog eating up snow up high and not much down low to begin with. I hope I am wrong!

neil

That sucks. Was rooting for them to open.

Can't believe how warm it is in Boston today. Absurd weather.

Glenn

Here's my "Glass Half Full" take....

It looks like it'll cool off tonight; enough so that they're calling for snow showers. If so, that's enough to fire up the fans. Friday looks cold and Saturday looks cold. In theory, that should be enough time to let the fans do their thing.

:fangun:

SIKSKIER

What a breath of fresh air with that very truthfull report.The weather forecasted for tonight, to be brutally honest, is down right ugly with an inch or more of rain possible in the area.

mtsnowfish

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
While I wish I was reporting that we've had some awesome snowmaking temps roll in, I am not. We just heard from the top (managment not the summit) that the weather outlook again changed and is not good for the lower mountain to make enough quality snow to open on Sunday.

According to our head snowmaker - Randy - we lost about 75% of the snow we made due to the 1.5" of rain we rec'd last night. (Driving around here the rivers and streams were absolutely overflowing with water). Now I'm not ruling it out, we still hope to open Sunday but unless it is top to bottom and up to the standard of our snow and grooming we will not open.

The snowmaking lines are all charged and ready to go. We had anticipated making snow this morning but the temps never dipped enough to allow our snowmakers even on the top. We'll know more tomorrow morning first thing and will let you know.

Highway Star

Lost 75% of their snow. Jesus.

Ooops. Looks like they blew (relatively) low density snow and didn't get a chance to pack it down or have it set up before the rain came in.

From what I have heard, Killington packed Lower Bunny Buster very hard before the storm and it held up pretty well.

Well, I wish Mount Snow the best of luck getting open some time this decade. 2010 is right around the corner....

You guys should come take a day trip to Killington, they should have 17 or more trails open with 3 lifts and some nice fresh snowmaking packed powder.

:daffy::spread:

drjeff

Ooops. Looks like they blew (relatively) low density snow and didn't get a chance to pack it down or have it set up before the rain came in.

From what I have heard, Killington packed Lower Bunny Buster very hard before the storm and it held up pretty well.

Well, I wish Mount Snow the best of luck getting open some time this decade. 2010 is right around the corner....

You guys should come take a day trip to Killington, they should have 17 or more trails open with 3 lifts and some nice fresh snowmaking packed powder.

:daffy::spread:

I know it's more than Mount Snow will offer, but 17 "trails" at K, what's that like 2 1/2 - 3 actual top to bottom runs? ;)

And HS, if you want to realize (or maybe not) how much you got schooled in your snowmaking knowledge, may I suggest if you haven't already, that you read Tim Boyd's responses to the Peak Resorts AZ Challenge - I'm pretty darn sure that a big part of the snowmaking answer with facts, not theory was meant to school you ;)

skiingsnow

I know it's more than Mount Snow will offer, but 17 "trails" at K, what's that like 2 1/2 - 3 actual top to bottom runs? ;)

And HS, if you want to realize (or maybe not) how much you got schooled in your snowmaking knowledge, may I suggest if you haven't already, that you read Tim Boyd's responses to the Peak Resorts AZ Challenge - I'm pretty darn sure that a big part of the snowmaking answer with facts, not theory was meant to school you ;)

It's interesting that you say, "a big part of the snowmaking answer" cus the question had nothing to do with the fanguns or the process of snowmaking, just simply a question about drawing water from a few locations for snowmaking. Other than talking about that, which was never even asked, it was a lot of: I don't know, we got plans, we're thinking over our plans, we can't talk about our plans, our plan is not to leave these people behind or these areas behind, thats a great question and we might consider that in our plans.

Regarding the snowmaking - All I know is that Killington was blowing snow all day long today in temps at the mid to upper 30's, meanwhile Mount Snow was reporting that they wanted to make snow early this morning, but it just wasn't cold enough. I also know that Killington has fanguns, right next to running air/water guns, that are sitting idle because it is too warm for them to operate.

jaytrem

I'm a bit disappointed with Mt Snow. I think they could have easily opened if tried to get the North Face going and maybe throw in Cascade(Canyon)-River Run. I think they get about 10 minutes of sun a day over there this time of year. Of course downloading would have been required, but they did that under ASC a couple years. The place is set up quite well for that. They seem to insist on this terrain for everybody opening though, not very flexable about it I guess. Not sure I'll get my pass worth this year without the early season stuff. To many mid-season trip elsewhere. :) I'll definitely give it some serious thought before I plunk down my $$$ next year.