• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Other interests/hobbies?

SilentCal

Actually I know of only one place in a 20 mile radius to bowl candlepin. There may be others but I'm not too sure. Geez MichealJ I know you didn't start bowling candlepin in Ludlow!! :roll: Actually Micheal you may know where I bowl. Right off of exit 6 on the Mass Turnpike. Not too far from your old stomping grounds. You'll have to let me know when you come back to the area. We could hit the Seven Sisters.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Max -

It's not *that* hard. It's just more fun and challenging than eating M&M's with an enormous spoon!

Cal -

Sure, I started candlepin in my Ludlow days. When I was in summer day camp at Whitney Park, once a week we'd get on the big blue Brunswick bus and ride over to the Airway Lanes at Liberty Plaza in Springfield. We had our choice of 10-pin or candlepin there. Other times my father and I would head over to State Bowl, a masterpiece of "not renovated since WWII". I actually would have loved to have owned that place ... I could have done a ton with it.

But I agree, it's not like the days back in my dad's time, when every town center (including the Orchard) had their own lanes. Mmm. Indian Orchard Pizzeria. But I digress...

BTW - "Bob" from the VFTT board, who did the Peak Above the Nubble bushwack with us, is from and lives in Ludlow.

I know exactly where you bowl - they still have the statue saluting the highway there, don't they?

I'd definitely like to come back some time and do the Holyoke Range - I never hiked as a kid so it would be a ton of fun to get out there. I'll bring my bike and ride around Quabbin and up on the bike trail in Northampton, too. Hmmm... the area seems like so much more fun now than it ever did when I was young!

SilentCal

The Airway lanes is the only place I know of in this area. State Bowl closed this year. The statue is still there and you know exactly where it is that I bowl. Does Bob have a website. I may have swapped e-mails with him recently. The Holyoke Range is a nice little area to escape to. Plenty of loop hikes and even solitude if you know where to go. The only thing it lacks are some waterfalls but i guess you can't have everything. Quabbin is also a nice place to go. Man I can't wait until the snow melts....

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
State Bowl closed? Dang. I would have done so much with that place if I'd owned it...

I don't think Bob has a website ... he's not HikerBob of BobsPics.

To keep things on a hiking topic, is there access to the old SAC base buried in the mountain up by the Notch? I'd love to hike up there and see it if it's open to the public.

SilentCal

I'm not 100% percent sure of this but i think one of the local colleges uses the old SAC base for storage. I've heard lots of stories(probaly not true ones) about that base. I don't think it's open to the public as usually there is a speed-trap set up at the entranceway to that area. I may just have to run over there one of these days a scope it out.

St. Jerry

Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:25 pmFriday Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any other Deadheads out there - ?

Yup. about 60 shows.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
SAC Bunker

Michael,
Where in Hadley is "The Notch" and the SAC Bunker? I think I took a high school hiking trip to the top of the mountain back in 1992 or so and remember the teacher mentioning something about a military installation dug into the mountain. I also seem to remember it being a relatively short ride from the greenhouse we visited earlier in the day at U-Mass Amherst. I'd like to take another hike up there again with the family so if you can provide me with some general directions it would be appreciated. The company I work for is based in Sunderland on 116, so I'm pretty familiar with the area.

Getting us back on topic:
I love watching and playing hockey. (Ice and roller-hockey)
I used to ride road and mountain bikes quite a bit until I got married and became a dad.
I'm now starting to dabble in carpentry which has recently taken a back seat to moving into our new house over the holiay.
I also love spending time with my son, now 17.5 months old, and am really looking forward to getting into the mountains with him again this year. (The avatar is us on Mt. Monadnock picking blueberries this summer.)

Happy Holidays to everyone!
:beer:
Smitty

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
The Notch is Rte 116, a few miles south of Atkins' Farm. The SAC bunker is on Military Road and is under Bare Mountain. There's a Notch Visitors Center at the crest, as well as that huge quarry which by levelling the other side (the former Round Mountain) has effectively made the Notch not a notch anymore.

Here's a link that also has a map. Also, there's a fantastic picture of the quarry from atop Bare Mountain on this page.

Mmm ... nothing quite like fresh Atkins cider or a candied apple.
:D

Greg

Staff member
Since there are a few folks in this thread that play guitar, I figured I'd mention here that I'm planning to sell my 12 string. It's a Seagull S12+. There are a few dings in it, but it plays wonderfully. I could let it go to someone on the board for $250. I'd rather give it a good home than put it on eBay, but that's the approach if nobody here is interested. I just never play it enough. PM me if interested.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
The Notch

Thanks Michael for the info on The Notch. It sure sounds like the place we visited. I'll have to do some hiking out there this spring.

Hope everyone had a happy and safe new year! :beer:

Smitty

jimme

You mean there's more to life than the family and skiing? Once I got back on the boards in 2000 I have been obsessed. I basically fake everything else I do. If I'm playing Golf and see a hill, I think about skiing it. Hiking in the woods, I think what a great ski trail it might make. Canoeing helps build my upper body. . .for skiing. I try to restrain myself as my girls are sometimes annoyed with my obsession. This all makes me wonder if I should have taken the ski instructor job at West Mountain 25 years ago instead of taking the DJ job at a local club. Did the club DJ thing for 12 years, then got a job with NYS as a Local Area Network Administrator. (A real stroke of luck that proves my own theory wrong about nice guys. :roll: ) I've been listening to the Dead since American Beauty was released. First Dead album bought was Workingman's Dead. Then I had to return a warped Clapton album and picked up Amer. Beauty instead. I love to listen to music, but with everything else I have going on my listening time is pretty much all done in the car. Bought a Epiphone Hummingbird 6 string a few years ago, but have played it very little. (Mid-life thing. I had one of these when I was in High School.) Did I say I like to ski? Skiing sets your soul free. For me, three hours on the slopes has the same effect as a week or two off from work. I hope my personalty is better in real life than on the fourms. :-?

Jimme

57stevey

Lots of guitarists here! Maybe it's a risk-taking thing? Anyway count me in... played in local cover bands for several years but haven't recently.

I like amusement parks in the warm season... Canobie Lake Park is in-town for me and we usually make a few treks to Funtown, Six Flags, Lake Compounce.

Greg

Staff member
Steve1321 said:
Lots of guitarists here! Maybe it's a risk-taking thing? Anyway count me in... played in local cover bands for several years but haven't recently.
Cool! 8) If you're up for a laugh, here are some recordings I did:

Greg said:
If anyone's interested, here's a multitrack recording of me playing Jimi Thing (Dave Matthews). I will warn you that my voice sucks. Okay, you've been warned:

http://www.gregblasko.com/music/mp3s/jimi.mp3

Also, I spaz out on some of the improv leads so they're a little disturbing to listen to. Just fooling around here...
Greg said:
Here's another:

http://www.gregblasko.com/music/mp3s/cry_freedom.mp3

That's another Dave Mattews tune; a pretty song called 'Cry Freedom'. That recording is just me and guitar with very little effects so it sounds more like a solo acoustic thing. Guitar is a Martin DX1 with a B-Band A1/AST pickup.

B

bur5465

Boating on Winnipesaukee, mountain biking, hiking.
Don't get out much; I'm too much of a tech-head. (You can't spell "Geek" without EE.)

Joshua B

I enjoy alpine skiing, exploring lost ski areas, photography, body surfing at the beach, music, talk radio, Japanese tuner cars, tennis, TV DVDs, and amusement parks--especially roller coasters. I tend to dive deep into whatever I'm feeling at the moment. Maybe I get a little to into it.

57stevey

greg said
"Cool! 8) If you're up for a laugh, here are some recordings I did:"

I'm not familiar with the material but it sounds pretty good to me Greg! I always admire anyone who can do a solo acoustic type thing... I can hardly play a note unless I have the band to hide behind (even when I'm out front) :roll:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
We used to hike a lot, but got away from it in the last few years. We're hoping to start that up again once it gets a little bit warmer. I also used to waterski and hope to do that again at least a few times this year. And someday I'd like to take up kayaking... We had a really cool whitewater rafting experience in Montana a couple years ago and ever since, I've been really eager to try that again.
Other than that, I'm back in college part-time right now, so I don't have much time for other activities. When I do have free time, I like to read, take photos (although they're not anywhere near as good as ones I've seen that were taken by other members of this board), work on my website, write, and hang out with friends.

L

lilybean

Actually skiing and hiking are my hobbies. I am a musician, so I spend most of my time with that. I teach spinning at a gym in N. Andover, so anytime I can grab my dog and go outside I am happy!!!!