• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Scraping off the Wax

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The storage wax came off my quiver skis today. Quiver now has a set of fat skis. Man, they are a LOT more work. There is just a lot more surface area to cover. I guess that should have been expected...doh... shoot me, please!

bvibert

Staff member
I waxed a few pair today, even sharpened the edges on a couple too...

SKIQUATTRO

All 7 pair of the fam's skis are done and ready to go...ski bags are packed and on call at a moments notice.....

skidmarks

I waxed a few pair today, even sharpened the edges on a couple too...

You're doing what???
Sharpening and waxing???

Meanwhile I've been busy in the basement getting the fleet up to speed. Wax on Wax Off.

bvibert

Staff member
You're doing what???
Sharpening and waxing???

Meanwhile I've been busy in the basement getting the fleet up to speed. Wax on Wax Off.

I know, it was a strange and rare occurrence. Don't expect it to happen too often... It's COLD in the garage at this time of year!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
When you folks are scraping off the summer wax. are you also putting down a new layer of wax as well?

It all depends on the conditions. I'm not, since I figure the my first day or two will not be that stellar conditions. It just used all-purpose, so-to-speak wax.. IF I happened to be going out on a pow day or a really wet day, I might re-wax if I thought it would make a difference. However, I'm just not that fussy about it.

wa-loaf

When you folks are scraping off the summer wax. are you also putting down a new layer of wax as well?

My regular skis I just use an all round wax, so no. The race skis get better treatment.

roark

Get a snowboard scraper for the fat skis. My annoyance is the narrow iron...

Sky

Get a snowboard scraper for the fat skis. My annoyance is the narrow iron...

Narrow Iron....GAH! TIps and tails of my regularly doimensioned skis are bad enough!!

Anyway, I scraped and brushed the old wax off...HONED THE EDGES...then did the four coats thing.....wax, wait 10 minutes....re-iron, wait 10, etc. Scraped after #4.

Three sets done. One to go. Wife's and daughter's skis can wait...till they decide if they will ski this year.

bvibert

Staff member
Reminds me, I have some leaves and pine needles to scrap off my bases. And to pick out of my skins. Meh, or not.

They'll come off on the snow the first time you use the skis. I heard pine tar doesn't make a real good wax though...