• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 1/14 - 1/15 Storm Discussion Thread

thetrailboss

Staff member
The Latest from Jay Peak:

We got a good amount of new snow last night – it started falling around 6:30pm yesterday and we’ve picked up 8-10” so far (it’s still snowing here at 6:30am). However, winds are blowing hard so snow depths are not consistent across the mountain – some areas will have lots of blown in snow, others will be completely wind blown. Also, the Jet Triple is the only upper mountain lift running. The remaining lifts may open later in the day if/when winds die down a bit.

We’re expecting temps of 3 – 7 at the base and –6ºF to –1ºF at the summit with winds blowing NNW at up to 60mph. We’ll have snow and flurries throughout the day that should continue into tonight, giving way to parlty sunny skies for tomorrow morning.

EVERYONE'S A VERMONTER TODAY: $38 Adults tickets & $32 Junior tickets, all 'round.

Well, 8-10 is decent.

And Trailboss here called the Jet being the only thing open. :wink:

Decent of them to hand out discounts for today...probably a sign of a rough weekend :roll: :x

Zand

Currently at 1:45, the temp is a toasty 7 here. We got mainly sleet and about 2" of snow overnight, but the wind kept the ground bare besides a few drifts. There's a band pushing though right now forecasted to dump 3-6" more.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
sure

ALLSKIING said:
Greg said:
ALLSKIING said:
Jiminy claims 10'..Thats the most I have seen so far.
10 feet? :blink:
:oops:

I'll take it :wink:

Taking the little one to Berkshire East on Monday. Hopefully the winds will die down and we can teach her how to ice skate like a real northeastern skier :wink:

Off to Stowe on Friday. I'd better get my edges sharpened...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i will make note again that regardless of snow totals, you can expect boiler plate most everywhere in northern new england tonight. i don't know if the wind is blowing as hard or if it is as cold in southern new england, but it is brutal up here right now, not weather i would want to be skiing in. extremely cold and VERY windy. i don't believe this storm will likely have much effect on making conditions better but the snow making temps will help for sure. 'ware the snowfall totals from this storm because they are not measuring what actually stuck, imo.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
riverc0il said:
i will make note again that regardless of snow totals, you can expect boiler plate most everywhere in northern new england tonight. i don't know if the wind is blowing as hard or if it is as cold in southern new england, but it is brutal up here right now, not weather i would want to be skiing in. extremely cold and VERY windy. i don't believe this storm will likely have much effect on making conditions better but the snow making temps will help for sure. 'ware the snowfall totals from this storm because they are not measuring what actually stuck, imo.

Oh pooh! Mees wuz born and growed up where the word COLD has REAL meaning - Massena, NY. I distinctly remember running around the yard in a T-shirt when the temps hit the 10s. We thought we were having a heat wave.

We used to ski Saddleback - waking up to negative 25 warming to negative 5.

Boilerplate is OK with me; we're going to stick to green groomers anyways.

It won't be a problem. Seasons too short and my kids have to learn how to ski ice sometime :)

skibum1321

Conditions at Smuggs were terrible today. Even the woods didn't hold the snow.

Calling for more warm temps and rain this week...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
chop chop chop

riverc0il said:
skibum1321 said:
Conditions at Smuggs were terrible today. Even the woods didn't hold the snow.
this is what i suspected. sucks, but at least the snow makers could get some juice going with the cold.

There was no time for the groomers to get out and even chop things up. I am hopeful tommmorow will bring at least that.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
depends if the temp relents and the wind dies down. even with groomer action, with weather conditions like we are currently experienced, the snow is pretty nasty even after a groomer pass. got my fingers crossed for you guys though! if i had tomorrow off and my arm was ready to go, i definitely wouldn't bother. then again, i am one of the few that believe a bad day of skiing is definitely NOT better than a good day at the office.

awf170

riverc0il said:
then again, i am one of the few that believe a bad day of skiing is definitely NOT better than a good day at the office.

I agree(except not really office because I dont work...) I think that 5 powder days a year is better than unlimited amount of hardpack days. Just like a would rather go to cannon or wildcat once everyone 2 weeks instead of going to a place like wawa twice a week. Quality over quanity.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Well, I like my job so a good day in the office but have a hard time comparing it to skiing.

Apples and oranges.

Corn and carrots.

Cars and bikes.

Biking and sailing.

Base jumping and skydiving.

Wearing pants and not wearing pants...

meat

riverc0il said:
depends if the temp relents and the wind dies down. even with groomer action, with weather conditions like we are currently experienced, the snow is pretty nasty even after a groomer pass. got my fingers crossed for you guys though! if i had tomorrow off and my arm was ready to go, i definitely wouldn't bother. then again, i am one of the few that believe a bad day of skiing is definitely NOT better than a good day at the office.

I agree, it is brutal cold, and not really worth skiing, rather be working. left the Jay parking lot this evening in a blinding ground blizzard, it was -7 with gusts to probably 40-50 mph= wind chill not warm. talkin about gusts still up to 65 mph tomarrow on a boilerplate surface with a secondary of blue ice and a few drifts of pow. oh, and don't forget about having to dodge all of the out of control flatlanders because its a holiday.

catskills

riverc0il said:
i will make note again that regardless of snow totals, you can expect boiler plate most everywhere in northern new england tonight. i don't know if the wind is blowing as hard or if it is as cold in southern new england, but it is brutal up here right now, not weather i would want to be skiing in. extremely cold and VERY windy
rivercOil your just saying that because your on the DL. :cry: I can tell by your posts you’re bummed. Get well soon.

Actually the skiing here at Belleayre was very nice on Sunday. There was a little nip in the air Sunday morning with 5 degree temps and 10+ MPH wind. Pretty normal stuff compared to the old days of -20F degree days 20 years ago. It warmed up around 10AM. The good news is Belleayre got 6 inches of dry fluffy powder and probably 4 to 5 inches managed to stay on the slopes. The mogul trails you could just see the very tops of those old hard pack moguls sticking through with in-between the moguls nicely filled in with fresh dry powder on Sunday morning. The death cookies and snow snakes underneath the powder on the mogul trails for the most part did not exist because the slow changing temps happened during Saturday with the rain, which smoothed things out before the flash freeze and snow.

Cheer up and get well soon.

dmc

Same for Hunter... It was actually a really sweet day.. Lots of POW drifiting up - they groomed the CRAP out of the hill the night before - snowmaking was full on and made for some great riding!!!

catskills said:
Actually the skiing here at Belleayre was very nice on Sunday. There was a little nip in the air Sunday morning with 5 degree temps and 10+ MPH wind. Pretty normal stuff compared to the old days of -20F degree days 20 years ago. It warmed up around 10AM. The good news is Belleayre got 6 inches of dry fluffy powder and probably 4 to 5 inches managed to stay on the slopes. The mogul trails you could just see the very tops of those old hard pack moguls sticking through with in-between the moguls nicely filled in with fresh dry powder on Sunday morning. The death cookies and snow snakes underneath the powder on the mogul trails for the most part did not exist because the slow changing temps happened during Saturday with the rain, which smoothed things out before the flash freeze and snow.

Cheer up and get well soon.