• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 1/14 - 1/15 Storm Discussion Thread

JD

Website
hotmail.com
I have a hard time believing the Jay report. Nothing up here got anything close to that. And resorts in N. VT could have said ANYTHING about totals due to the wind. Jay.?! I guess you have to give people a reason to drive way the fudge up there.
Don't get me wrong, pretty sweet Mtn., with good off the lift BC, but the real reason they get a hundred inches more then everyone else is the bogus reports...oooops off topic...

thetrailboss

Staff member
JD said:
I have a hard time believing the Jay report. Nothing up here got anything close to that. And resorts in N. VT could have said ANYTHING about totals due to the wind. Jay.?! I guess you have to give people a reason to drive way the fudge up there.
Don't get me wrong, pretty sweet Mtn., with good off the lift BC, but the real reason they get a hundred inches more then everyone else is the bogus reports...oooops off topic...

They do tend to hype things up there...and it works. You'd be surprised how many people will drive all the way up there from south. Most of us locals know the truth though :wink: Windy, cold, icy, and yes, there is lots of snow...and you can ski it if you hit it right.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
I just called someone on another matter and when I asked him what he was up to (on his cell phone), he responded: "Just getting off the slopes"

I asked about conditions, his claim: "beautiful"

Monday, noontime, Pat's Peak

Phildozer

[quote="awf170] Just like a would rather go to cannon or wildcat once everyone 2 weeks instead of going to a place like wawa twice a week. Quality over quanity.[/quote]

Hey, no bashing hardpack! Some of us actually enjoy it!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
rivercOil your just saying that because your on the DL. I can tell by your posts you’re bummed. Get well soon.
thanks but no, my DL status is not effecting my commentary here. when ever i post on topics regarding the weather, i actively ask myself if i am making a statement due influenced by my status. fact is, this was a terrible weekend for northern new england ski areas. i was chatting with a fellow skier this afternoon that drove up to burke and didn't ski today due to the severe cold. granted he was in the area for more reasons than just skiing and was at liberty to pick his days, but it has been nasty and reports i have heard indicate snow was definitely not helped by this weekend.

Warp Daddy

Four of us headed out early this am for first tracks at our regional hill 90 min away . Not expecting great conditions , after the weekend meltdown i left my SX 10's @ home and brought my rock skis instead --MAJOR MISTAKE !! :dunce:

Titus was 100% open and with good coverage , no bare spots , no major ice sheets . It was MGFG but skied great!! 8) Fast easy to get an edge into and SUNNY but cool 0 degrees ., It warmed to about 14 degrees but we had our 6 hrs of ripping and all had huge grins on our face . We're heading out there again this week :beer:

Sometimes ski conditions are Like Forrest says " a box of chocolates -U never know what your gonna get "

Titus is in the Northern Adirondacks approx 1200 vert and presents multiple sides We ski this place about 10 -12 times yr . in addition to several other road trips to Tremblant, Whiteface , Gore and various NH sites

meat

JD said:

yeah the jay report does tend to jerk you around some, but some of time they underestimate some of their snow totals especially early season and late season. they do seem to make up some of it on weekends and holidays though, I won't deny that at all, and lift and trail status is also quite inaccurate on the report. anyway JD, how do you know the jay reports are bogus if your so busy skiing HHmmmm... stowe, like you say "you don't know until you go". I made the mistake of going to stowe last year the day after Jay closed in the middle of April. I had some decent expectations considering jay still had 90% of its terrain open on the last day of operation, but only to arrive at stowe with limited terrain, only patches of snow in the woods, and not to mention the always consistent cornucopia of obnoxious flatlanders. but yeah I agree that Jay doesn't get more snow than the others, is always cold, windy, icy, crowded, expensive and too far away. don't go there.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Just my experiences on big days. Weekend storms I would head to Jay occasionally and just feel like when they say 20 inches, it's more a 12 inch day. Stowe DEFINITELY misleads on quality, not so much on totals. Sunday they said the primary surface was powder. WFT is that? That place was death iced over and they say "powder" ????
You're right, I don't really know why I care, it would just suck to drive up there from a great distance and get skunked.