• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Need a new coat!!

Sky

My least favorite thing....EVER! Shopping for my clothes.

Usually it's just a JC Penny on-line thing for dress and casual. Their Big and Tall selection is pretty good...and better lately.

But my outerwear is normally from Cabelas. 2XLXT (Extra Large Extra Tall). The parka I've used for the last five years or so is OK...except it's C's version of Gore Tex..."Dry Plus". Well....she no worky no more. According to C's on-line rep....Dry Plus is just as good. I don't think so.

Aside from the lack of water repellency....the frickin zipper stopped working. !!?? What the hang?! THe zipper just stopped participating. I was able to slide it up (not connected to the other side of the coat) with some difficulty....and now it won't come down.

Anyway...I've hunted LL Bean (they sometimes carry Tall sizes) and Cabelas and am not too happy. C's has my size...in frickin "Gray". C'mon people...."colors"!? They are closing ou their Gore Tex. Tall sizes but not "my" size.

Considering a Columbia parka....Bugaboo?

FEATURES I NEED....Zip out lining and waterproof. OPtins...removeable or fold-away hood.

I need this to be multi-purpose....my clothes are so huge, I need vesatiliy or MORE closet space. :>

Thanks in advance.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Keep an eye on Sierra Trading Post (www.sierratradingpost.com). Most of the time their best deals are when they only have the most uncommon sizes left. You could get a stellar bargain there, but it's kind of a place you just have to keep an eye on. You might not find something today, or tomorrow.

Sky

Thanks Marc! Will give these a look!!

One "Tall"...Carhart. Contemplating.

I'll keep looking.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Sky

In the words of Ms Emily Litella...Never Mind.

I made a few calls...found a local cleaner who said they could send the jacket out. COme to find out...they were able to relace the YKK barnd slide while I waited.

No more angst.

Now I need to use "Storm Shed" to re-waterproof it.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
My least favorite thing....EVER! Shopping for my clothes.

Usually it's just a JC Penny on-line thing for dress and casual. Their Big and Tall selection is pretty good...and better lately.

But my outerwear is normally from Cabelas. 2XLXT (Extra Large Extra Tall). The parka I've used for the last five years or so is OK...except it's C's version of Gore Tex..."Dry Plus". Well....she no worky no more. According to C's on-line rep....Dry Plus is just as good. I don't think so.

Aside from the lack of water repellency....the frickin zipper stopped working. !!?? What the hang?! THe zipper just stopped participating. I was able to slide it up (not connected to the other side of the coat) with some difficulty....and now it won't come down.

Anyway...I've hunted LL Bean (they sometimes carry Tall sizes) and Cabelas and am not too happy. C's has my size...in frickin "Gray". C'mon people...."colors"!? They are closing ou their Gore Tex. Tall sizes but not "my" size.

Considering a Columbia parka....Bugaboo?

FEATURES I NEED....Zip out lining and waterproof. OPtins...removeable or fold-away hood.

I need this to be multi-purpose....my clothes are so huge, I need vesatiliy or MORE closet space. :>

Thanks in advance.
Just wait for the dayglow colors to come back into style. Go to C's and buy an insulated blaze orange jacket! :grin:

Sky

HEH! I was lookiing for something along those lines versus the "gray" or "black"...or even worse..."mushroom". WTF!!

But all that angst went for not once the zipper got fixed. I re-applied the waterproofing goo last night.

So far...meh. Some of the garment I wore today actually repells like new. I followed the instructions and have successfully used this product in my work. I think home laundering is the limiting factor, that and the "successful" use was based on ounces of additive per x gallons of water. Home use uses ounces per garment.

So maybe in the household app...I need to follow the old Explosives constant...."P" = Plenty.