• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wheel / tire bolt sizing

mlctvt

There's also the center bore of the wheel to consider, it should fit nicely over the hub of the car to keep the wheel centered while tightening the lug nuts.

Yes, make sure you know whether the car is Hub-centric or Lug-centric. If it's hub centric you'll need the same size bore in the center of the wheel. This can sometimes be changed on aftermarket rims by using different size hub rings made from alumnim or plastic.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Had the tires mounted yesterday, they fit fine.

apparently not.

Dropped the car off this morning at the dealership as the thermostat went on it on Friday. The car never really drove right with the snow tires, felt like a balancing issue, so I asked for the Mazda dealership to check it out. Jiffy Lube used far too much torque putting the wheels on and cross threaded all the lugs. The damage? 5 rear studs need to be replaced and both front hubs. $810!!!! :blink:

So, now the battle begins with Jiffy Lube. Probably going to have their ass rent my car as well as now I'm out the vehicle and extra day.

hammer

apparently not.

Dropped the car off this morning at the dealership as the thermostat went on it on Friday. The car never really drove right with the snow tires, felt like a balancing issue, so I asked for the Mazda dealership to check it out. Jiffy Lube used far too much torque putting the wheels on and cross threaded all the lugs. The damage? 5 rear studs need to be replaced and both front hubs. $810!!!! :blink:

So, now the battle begins with Jiffy Lube. Probably going to have their ass rent my car as well as now I'm out the vehicle and extra day.
Tough break...that's why I don't mind paying my all-purpose mechanic $78/hour to do work on my cars...

So are the wheels still OK?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wheels are fine. The dealership simply said that whoever put the tires on had ZERO clue what they were doing.

wa-loaf

Not to rub it in, but of all the places you could go, you chose Jiffy Lube?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not to rub it in, but of all the places you could go, you chose Jiffy Lube?

It was the most convenient place to my wife's work to get it done at lunch. It's putting on tires, not changing a head gasket. I really didn't think they could screw it up.

Glenn

Never misunderestimate the stupidity of total idiots.

x2.

If they can fudge up an oil change, they can fudge up wheels.

A total drag. Hopefully, you get it sorted out. And damn, the dealer is charging an arm and a leg to replace the wheel studs. With the right tools that should be a fairly simple job.

Glenn

I re-read more slowly. Yikes...trashed the front hubs? Man, that's a drag.

mlctvt

These quick lube places pay minimum wage so you can imagine who's working on your car. :roll:
He probably used an impact wrench to put on the lug nuts, something that shouldn't be done unless you hand start each lug and you use a torque limiting extension.
This is probably the single most common auto repair error. Over torquing lugs can also severely warp brake rotors and damages wheel too.

deadheadskier

Staff member
These quick lube places pay minimum wage so you can imagine who's working on your car. :roll:
He probably used an impact wrench to put on the lug nuts, something that shouldn't be done unless you hand start each lug and you use a torque limiting extension.
This is probably the single most common auto repair error. Over torquing lugs can also severely warp brake rotors and damages wheel too.

this is what the Mazda guy suspected as well.

deadheadskier

Staff member
This is going to get freakin' ugly. Finally heard back from Jiffy Lube. They are refusing to pay for it claiming that the wheels were the wrong size for the car. I asked Mazda earlier in the day if this was the case, they responded no, the wheels are the right size and it was error by Jiffy Lube.

sorry greg, but

FUCK!

wa-loaf

This is going to get freakin' ugly. Finally heard back from Jiffy Lube. They are refusing to pay for it claiming that the wheels were the wrong size for the car. I asked Mazda earlier in the day if this was the case, they responded no, the wheels are the right size and it was error by Jiffy Lube.

sorry greg, but

FUCK!

Get a detailed report from Mazda and escalate. They're hoping you will walk away ...

deadheadskier

Staff member
Get a detailed report from Mazda and escalate. They're hoping you will walk away ...

only place I'm walking is to small claims court. I will definitely be escalating.

Even if these were the wrong sized wheels (which Mazda insisted they were the right size) wouldn't Jiffy Lube be liable for installing them?

bvibert

Staff member

sorry greg, but

FUCK!

That really sucks DHS, can't say I'm surprised by their response though. Good luck with the battle...

deadheadskier

Staff member
My brother suggested that depending on how much time / $$$ this whole ordeal costs me, I should exact revenge by standing outside the Jiffy Lube with a big ass sign saying "Buyer beware. This store caused $800 worth of damage to my car"

Glenn

sorry greg, but

FUCK!

The only way they could use that excuse would be if the bolt holes were off just a bit. But then it becomes a "if they're the wrong size wheel...why did you install them?" issue. Also, if they weren't the right size, you shouldn't use the "get a bigger hammer...it'll fit" mentality.