• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wheel / tire bolt sizing

deadheadskier

Staff member
Is there an easy way to figure out if wheels are compatible with different vehicles?

Looking for a set of wheels/snows for the wife's car. I've found some pretty good deals on craigslist.

I'm specifically trying to determine if a set of Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3s that came off a 2004 Acura TI will fit our 2004 Mazda 3 Hatch. The tire size of 205/55/r16 is what's recommended for our vehicle in the 16 inch.
I'm specifically trying to determine if the wheel patterns are the same.

The person selling them is over an hour away and I'm not interested in heading over there if it's unlikely that they fit.

WJenness

Is there an easy way to figure out if wheels are compatible with different vehicles?

Looking for a set of wheels/snows for the wife's car. I've found some pretty good deals on craigslist.

I'm specifically trying to determine if a set of Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3s that came off a 2004 Acura TI will fit our 2004 Mazda 3 Hatch. The tire size of 205/55/r16 is what's recommended for our vehicle in the 16 inch.
I'm specifically trying to determine if the wheel patterns are the same.

The person selling them is over an hour away and I'm not interested in heading over there if it's unlikely that they fit.

You need to know the bolt pattern, but that should be pretty easy to find by going to tirerack.com and plugging in both cars info...

Actually, I was curious and did it.

2004 Acura TL:
Size: 16X6.5 (4)
Bolt Pattern: 5-114

2004 Mazda 3 hatch:
Size: 16X6.5 (4)
Bolt Pattern: 5-114

So yeah, looks good...

Check it yourself, as I guesed on some questions (auto/manual etc.) that shouldn't change the outcome, but you never know.

-w

bigbog

Maybe I've grown too accustomed to driving a 4wd, but...in addition..if the tires you'll go with, which because of space(referred to as Backspacing, at least I THINK that's what is meant) when the wheels/tires are turned will clear both to the rear and to the inside. Outside can easily be chopped/sanded/fender-added..etc... The newer, efficient cars are really cut close to limit tiresize...:evil: Sure wish they wouldn't be doing that...but downsizing in wheels..is yes, an alternative..to get more aggressive a tire on...I Would Think wouldn't be that much a deal if the total diameter would be pretty much the same!...? I think, if one were to downsize in wheel diameter..I'd quickly follow up with alignment...but if the total diameter isn't radical..the engine/gearing shouldn't have much difficulty.

$.01

Last edited:

Geoff

Maybe I've grown too accustomed to driving a 4wd, but...in addition..if the tires you'll go with, which because of space(referred to as Backspacing, at least I THINK that's what is meant) when the wheels/tires are turned will clear both to the rear and to the inside. Outside can easily be chopped/sanded/fender-added..etc... The newer, efficient cars are really cut close to limit tiresize...:evil: Sure wish they wouldn't be doing that...but downsizing in wheels..is yes, an alternative..to get more aggressive a tire on...I Would Think wouldn't be that much a deal if the total diameter would be pretty much the same!...? I think, if one were to downsize in wheel diameter..I'd quickly follow up with alignment...but if the total diameter isn't radical..the engine/gearing shouldn't have much difficulty.

$.01

I think the word is "offset". I'd think most Japanese cars would have interchangable rims since they all use the same sources for parts.

You can and should use smaller wheels for a winter application. You want thicker sidewalls to deal with all the pot holes. For a small car like a Mazda 3, you really don't need to go narrower. On a car with wide performance tires, you want to go narrower so the tire doesn't float up on the snow. The key is that you don't want to change the diameter of the tire very much. If you google "tire size calculator", there are several online calculators. From that, you can figure out the correct tire to use for a smaller rim and a narrower width.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The seller has agreed to let me pick them up and bring them home to try on the wife's car tonight. If they fit, I think I got a really good deal. $395 for half season used Dunlop snows with steel rims.

Puck it

The seller has agreed to let me pick them up and bring them home to try on the wife's car tonight. If they fit, I think I got a really good deal. $395 for half season used Dunlop snows with steel rims.

Not bad reviews.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...e&partnum=055HR6WS3D&fromCompare1=yes&wTire=3

I am not a big fan of Dunlop. I had Grandtreks on the FJ and were fine the first year but were not good in the snow the second year. I did get 50K out of them though. I have Toyo AT Open Country now.

deadheadskier

Staff member
In general, I'm not ultra picky, the wife even less. I have Firestone winterforces on my car and they did just fine today. They've got about 20K miles on them and I think I should be able to get at least another 20K more out of them.

Philpug

I have bought (and sold) the last couple of sets of snows I have used....great deals to be found. I will do the same when I get my Jetta.

madman

Got a pair of rims and tires off a Volvo 850 and tried to mount them on my Daughters 940 but the rims did not clear the Disc Calipers. They were almost socked down before they hit and it would have been easy to crank them down and do damage if someone was to mount and drive without checking first.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Had the tires mounted yesterday, they fit fine. I wonder if most Asian manufacturers use the 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern on sedans.

Looking forward to the next snow storm to test out their performance :snow:

Philpug

Had the tires mounted yesterday, they fit fine. I wonder if most Asian manufacturers use the 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern on sedans.

Looking forward to the next snow storm to test out their performance :snow:

Subies are 5x100, Some Toyotas are 5x112

deadheadskier

Staff member
like cell phone power adapters, wouldn't it be much easier if they all had to have the same configuration?

I mean really. What's the benefit of a 5x100 vs. a 5x112 vs. a 5x114.3?

I could see how a larger truck might benefit from having more bolts, but within classes they all should be the same in my opinion.

The only reason why the guy I bought the tires off of was selling them is because when he sold his Acura TL sedan, the buyer didn't want the snows and they didn't fit on his new BMW sedan.

ctenidae

Added annoyance wrinkle these days is tire pressure sensors.
Bought snows from a guy who had them on a 2-year old Merc, from before sensors were mandated. On nice rims, and everything. Now, I'm going to have to go all winter with the tire sensor warning light on. Or spend $400 on sensors, and have them installed in the rims. Probably not worth it.

roark

tire sensors are one of the dumbest "features" on cars these days. I've yet to have a vehicle with them and will avoid like the plague. "Maintence required" lights are almost as bad. (ETA but can usually be reset pretty easily - just annoying)

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member
like cell phone power adapters, wouldn't it be much easier if they all had to have the same configuration?

I mean really. What's the benefit of a 5x100 vs. a 5x112 vs. a 5x114.3?

I could see how a larger truck might benefit from having more bolts, but within classes they all should be the same in my opinion.

The only reason why the guy I bought the tires off of was selling them is because when he sold his Acura TL sedan, the buyer didn't want the snows and they didn't fit on his new BMW sedan.

I think VW's are pretty much all 5x112 now, but there was a time when some models were 5x100 (Jettas and Golfs), while others were 5x112 (Passats). There's other factors to take into account too, like mentioned above; the offset will differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. It may not differ enough to notice a difference, but it could cause rubbing on the body work or suspension components. Even without rubbing a different offset wheel could affect the handling, or in extreme cases the life span of wheel bearings and suspension components. There's also the center bore of the wheel to consider, it should fit nicely over the hub of the car to keep the wheel centered while tightening the lug nuts.

ctenidae

tire sensors are one of the dumbest "features" on cars these days. I've yet to have a vehicle with them and will avoid like the plague. "Maintence required" lights are almost as bad. (ETA but can usually be reset pretty easily - just annoying)

Too bad they're required on all new cars.

The ones on mine are annoying, since it's just warning/no warning. My wife's SUV reads each wheel seperately and tells you the pressure on each one. Which is useful, since it lets me know which tire she hit a curb with this time.

mlctvt

Get them! Dunlop Wintersport M3s are the best snow tires I've run. I've had three models of Blizzaks and the Dunlops are just so much better on dry and wet roads and they give up very little in snow performance to the Blizzaks. I just couldn't stand the Blizzak's dry road perfomance, they were just too squishy and handled like crap. The Wintersport M3 is also the favorite choice on all the car forums I follow. BMW, Infiniti, Subaru.
I currently run them on my '05 Subaru Legacy GT wagon and my wife's '05 WRX.
Best choice for southern New Englanders who drive on dry roads most of the time but need a snow tire when traveling north to deep snow too.