• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Camcorders

Madroch

Regarding the Flip, you have a pretty good sample just posted recently by Greg in the Trip Reports forum (Killington). I think that the video on that Flip is very shaky. I don't know if it has image stabilization or not. But compare that to my video from MRG in the Trip Reports section in which most of the video with Nhski (the first posted I think?) was taken somewhere in the 15-20x-ish zoom range free hand with OIS.

What was the MRG video shot with? Looks good, but probably outside my price range.

hammer

Looks like the Zi8 is the winner -seems to have a little more zoom, and at least has EIS, not optical but it is something. I tried to pick one up locally but were no deals. Will order it and have it by next weekend.
Have you seen any good examples of video from the Zi8?

Madroch

Have you seen any good examples of video from the Zi8?

Not from the Zi8- but from a lot of the camcorders I have been comparing it to. For the Zi8 am relying on reviews such as cnet and customer reviews, etc.

o3jeff

Not from the Zi8- but from a lot of the camcorders I have been comparing it to. For the Zi8 am relying on reviews such as cnet and customer reviews, etc.

I think the Amazon reviews might have had a sample video or two. It seems the quality of all these types of cameras are about the same, just keep in mind what they are when comparing them to real HD and full size camcorders.

Madroch

Other issue with the Zi8 is that the software is not necessaerily Mac compatable- or so the reviews suggest- something about not being able to edit stuff shot in HD on the Mac. We have both a PC and a Mac, but I am a complete newb at this stuff and want it as easy as possible- and preferably on the Mac. I have to actually read up on some of these issues and try to understand them before I act... or, I could just leap before I look as usual.

o3jeff

I was in Costco Sunday and saw they had the 8gb Flip Mino for $199 and the Ultra HD 8gb for $149(only had a handful left) both with the HDMI cable included. Those are about average prices for them, but they also have the 90 return if you don't like them.

hammer

Just bought the Zi8...a bit hard to find in the stores. Ended up spending about $200 total including a 4GB SDHC card.

Haven't done much with it yet but it seems decent so far.

o3jeff

I order the new Kodak ZX3 Playsport last week, will have any day now and will comment on it after I get some vids done with it this weekend.