Directions to Killington / Pico

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Directions to Killington / Pico

What's the quickest route to Killington / Pico, from Connecticut?
    Rte 91N to Bellow Falls (Rte 103 to 100)?

or

Rte 91N to White River Junction to Rte 4 West?

Driving on a friday in the early 6-7am range.

Thankyou.
    - JB

first one, second one you go too far north.

91 > 89 > rt 4

get on route 4 off 89, it is quicker.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Directions

While I-91 and Rt 103 is the most direct route, you must remember that you are going through number of towns with low speed limits, and must contend with Ludlow just below Okemo. I prefer going north on I-91 to the exit for "Hartland" (I think it is two exits before you hit I-89 near White River Junction) take Rt 5 for about a mile, and then grab VT Rt 12 you will hit Rt 4 just east of Taftsville. From there it is a straight shot over to where Rt 4 joins Rt 100 just below the Killington gondola. Do be mindful of the speed limits in Woodstock, or in any other of those little towns. The local constabulary loves balancing their law enforcement budgets by "greeting" out of state skiers. In any case, I don't speed through anyone else's town since I don't want them to speed through mine.

Quote Originally Posted by andyzee
    first one, second one you go too far north.
    Yep. Be careful when you enter towns as you need to make real turns to stay on 100/103 (One is in Chester, I believe .... back me up on this one guys.) One turn in particular that I missed once was just past Okemo. When you pass the entrance to Okemo, keep those eyes peeled for the right on 100 from 103.

Have fun.

A die hard Parrot Head heading north instead of the Keys?
    ~Rich~

Re: Directions

Quote Originally Posted by tirolerpeter
    While I-91 and Rt 103 is the most direct route, you must remember that you are going through number of towns with low speed limits, and must contend with Ludlow just below Okemo. I prefer going north on I-91 to the exit for "Hartland" (I think it is two exits before you hit I-89 near White River Junction) take Rt 5 for about a mile, and then grab VT Rt 12 you will hit Rt 4 just east of Taftsville. From there it is a straight shot over to where Rt 4 joins Rt 100 just below the Killington gondola. Do be mindful of the speed limits in Woodstock, or in any other of those little towns. The local constabulary loves balancing their law enforcement budgets by "greeting" out of state skiers. In any case, I don't speed through anyone else's town since I don't want them to speed through mine.
    Is that particularly quicker, Pete? I'm always up for new routes to places.
    ~Rich~

Quote Originally Posted by BeanoNYC
    Yes, I find it quicker since you are shooting north on 91 at higher speed, and there are fewer small towns to negotiate, not to mention the "Chester twist." Also, that Rt 12 cut-off pretty much eliminates the northern "overshoot" that going up to I-89 creates. It is especially faster in the PM since you don't get stuck behind all that Okemo traffic dumping out onto Rt 103. Take a look at the map. Rt 12 is small, but it is still a good road and they keep it well maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by riverc0il
    91 > 89 > rt 4

get on route 4 off 89, it is quicker.
    That's what I meant (White River Junction - 89)

By flying up 91 @ 65 mph its quicker than going thru Ludlow and smaller towns, w/ slower speed limits... even though its not the most direct.

Personally, I'd rather stay on 91... does that make sense?
    - JB

Quote Originally Posted by BeanoNYC
    Yes, I find it quicker since you are shooting north on 91 at higher speed, and there are fewer small towns to negotiate, not to mention the "Chester twist." Also, that Rt 12 cut-off pretty much eliminates the northern "overshoot" that going up to I-89 creates. It is especially faster in the PM since you don't get stuck behind all that Okemo traffic dumping out onto Rt 103. Take a look at the map. Rt 12 is small, but it is still a good road and they keep it well maintained.
    I was going to say Route 12 as well. Woodstock is such a b%^&& to get through How so? K-mart is only 35 miles from my house, but I can't get there in under an hour because of the 25 mph driving through Woodstock. No real way to avoid it though.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

I have always gone 103 to 100. Chester and Ludlow are the only towns I can think of that are particularly slow. Ludlow actually has a light, but the 'in town' segments of road last no more than a couple miles. Barely a hiccup.

I'll average ~60 mph, so I do that instead of average ~80 mph on 91 and then up to 4.

Really, I doubt as if there's a huge difference but I also find driving two lane highways with plenty of places to pass, as there are on 103 and 100 far more entertaining with the 6 selection box and 250 hp under the right foot then cruise control bore me to death 91.
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

Thread Information