• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Directions to Killington / Pico

JBHeadParrot

What's the quickest route to Killington / Pico, from Connecticut?
Rte 91N to Bellow Falls (Rte 103 to 100)?

or

Rte 91N to White River Junction to Rte 4 West?

Driving on a friday in the early 6-7am range.

Thankyou.

tirolerpeter

Directions

While I-91 and Rt 103 is the most direct route, you must remember that you are going through number of towns with low speed limits, and must contend with Ludlow just below Okemo. I prefer going north on I-91 to the exit for "Hartland" (I think it is two exits before you hit I-89 near White River Junction) take Rt 5 for about a mile, and then grab VT Rt 12 you will hit Rt 4 just east of Taftsville. From there it is a straight shot over to where Rt 4 joins Rt 100 just below the Killington gondola. Do be mindful of the speed limits in Woodstock, or in any other of those little towns. The local constabulary loves balancing their law enforcement budgets by "greeting" out of state skiers. In any case, I don't speed through anyone else's town since I don't want them to speed through mine.

BeanoNYC

andyzee said:
first one, second one you go too far north.

Yep. Be careful when you enter towns as you need to make real turns to stay on 100/103 (One is in Chester, I believe .... back me up on this one guys.) One turn in particular that I missed once was just past Okemo. When you pass the entrance to Okemo, keep those eyes peeled for the right on 100 from 103.

Have fun.

A die hard Parrot Head heading north instead of the Keys? :wink:

BeanoNYC

Re: Directions

tirolerpeter said:
While I-91 and Rt 103 is the most direct route, you must remember that you are going through number of towns with low speed limits, and must contend with Ludlow just below Okemo. I prefer going north on I-91 to the exit for "Hartland" (I think it is two exits before you hit I-89 near White River Junction) take Rt 5 for about a mile, and then grab VT Rt 12 you will hit Rt 4 just east of Taftsville. From there it is a straight shot over to where Rt 4 joins Rt 100 just below the Killington gondola. Do be mindful of the speed limits in Woodstock, or in any other of those little towns. The local constabulary loves balancing their law enforcement budgets by "greeting" out of state skiers. In any case, I don't speed through anyone else's town since I don't want them to speed through mine.

Is that particularly quicker, Pete? I'm always up for new routes to places.

tirolerpeter

BeanoNYC said:
tirolerpeter said:

Yes, I find it quicker since you are shooting north on 91 at higher speed, and there are fewer small towns to negotiate, not to mention the "Chester twist." Also, that Rt 12 cut-off pretty much eliminates the northern "overshoot" that going up to I-89 creates. It is especially faster in the PM since you don't get stuck behind all that Okemo traffic dumping out onto Rt 103. Take a look at the map. Rt 12 is small, but it is still a good road and they keep it well maintained.

JBHeadParrot

riverc0il said:
91 > 89 > rt 4

get on route 4 off 89, it is quicker.

That's what I meant (White River Junction - 89)

By flying up 91 @ 65 mph :wink: its quicker than going thru Ludlow and smaller towns, w/ slower speed limits... even though its not the most direct.

Personally, I'd rather stay on 91... does that make sense?

thetrailboss

Staff member

tirolerpeter said:
BeanoNYC said:
tirolerpeter said:

Yes, I find it quicker since you are shooting north on 91 at higher speed, and there are fewer small towns to negotiate, not to mention the "Chester twist." Also, that Rt 12 cut-off pretty much eliminates the northern "overshoot" that going up to I-89 creates. It is especially faster in the PM since you don't get stuck behind all that Okemo traffic dumping out onto Rt 103. Take a look at the map. Rt 12 is small, but it is still a good road and they keep it well maintained.

I was going to say Route 12 as well. Woodstock is such a b%^&& to get through :roll: How so? K-mart is only 35 miles from my house, but I can't get there in under an hour because of the 25 mph driving through Woodstock. No real way to avoid it though.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I have always gone 103 to 100. Chester and Ludlow are the only towns I can think of that are particularly slow. Ludlow actually has a light, but the 'in town' segments of road last no more than a couple miles. Barely a hiccup.

I'll average ~60 mph, so I do that instead of average ~80 mph on 91 and then up to 4.

Really, I doubt as if there's a huge difference but I also find driving two lane highways with plenty of places to pass, as there are on 103 and 100 far more entertaining with the 6 selection box and 250 hp under the right foot then cruise control bore me to death 91.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
woodstock is the only major issue with the route 4 directions. none of the other towns between the highway and pico really slow you down much. there are going to be pain in the butt towns no mater where you go. i would personally drive slightly further highway to avoid small towns regardless of timing, but if you are doing 70+ i can't imagine anything being quicker than 89 to route 4, especially if you leave early enough to get ahead of most of the other drivers heading there.

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
PS don't speed through the small towns, earlier this year I was on a bus that was "supposedly" going 43 in a 25... I say impossible, Woodstock says greenbacks...

Geoff

In my opinion, 103 to 100 is quicker headed north in the evening. There's also a big time-saving way to bypass downtown Ludlow.

Headed south, 100 to 103 can really suck if you hit Okemo traffic. It's brutal from 2:00 to 5:00 every Sunday and there can be a 20 minute delay getting past Ludlow. If that's when you're driving, you can save time using the 4 to 12 to I-91 route.

SkiDork

Geoff said:
In my opinion, 103 to 100 is quicker headed north in the evening. There's also a big time-saving way to bypass downtown Ludlow.

Headed south, 100 to 103 can really suck if you hit Okemo traffic. It's brutal from 2:00 to 5:00 every Sunday and there can be a 20 minute delay getting past Ludlow. If that's when you're driving, you can save time using the 4 to 12 to I-91 route.

You can't use the Ludlow bypass Sunday afternoons?

Geoff

SkiDork said:
Geoff said:

You can't use the Ludlow bypass Sunday afternoons?

The shortcut around Ludlow on the other side of the river is a 1-way Northbound street. If you look at Ludlow on http://maps.google.com , it's High Street to Dug Road.