• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Car Quiver & Tires

jaja111

They're just loud, and spin once in a great while on dry pavement. I run them, but consider it a mistake as they're fairly unnecessary. The conditions (ice, glare ice, super dense snow pack) that studs perform great in, happen here on maybe 3 days of the whole year. Did I mention that they are loud? Annoyingly loud.

wa-loaf

Bump...someone is looking to sell a used set of Volvo alloy wheels and winter tires for $600. Only catch is that the tires are studded Hankook 404's and I'm leery of running studded tires...

You prob won't like them if driving a lot on the highway. Can studs be removed?

hammer

You prob won't like them if driving a lot on the highway. Can studs be removed?
According to the internet mechanic they can but it's a lengthy process...one has to pull each one out by hand.

My commute is mostly on the highway so it sounds like studded tires aren't the way to go. Real shame since this looked like a decent deal.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I go cheaper, I've been running Hankook Icebear W310's on my 2003 Saab 9-3 for a few years now. They run great, and are I think < $100 a pop in 225/45R17.

I don't have separate rims, I just remount the tires each fall / spring.

hammer

I go cheaper, I've been running Hankook Icebear W310's on my 2003 Saab 9-3 for a few years now. They run great, and are I think < $100 a pop in 225/45R17.

I don't have separate rims, I just remount the tires each fall / spring.
Have you ever had issues with tire or rim damage?

Remounts are tempting because I have the TPMS sensors and I wouldn't have to buy/recalibrate a new set if I did remounts, but I'm concerned about wear and tear on the tires and rims...

Geoff

They're just loud, and spin once in a great while on dry pavement. I run them, but consider it a mistake as they're fairly unnecessary. The conditions (ice, glare ice, super dense snow pack) that studs perform great in, happen here on maybe 3 days of the whole year. Did I mention that they are loud? Annoyingly loud.

Studs are awfully nice to have on your car when all the cars around you are doing guardrail pinball on black ice. I run premium studless snow & ice tires on my VW. Not as good as studs but you get way better black ice traction than with a conventional snow tire. I got 3 years out of Blizzaks and switched to Nokians last year. My last VW had Nokians that lasted for the life of the car.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Bump...someone is looking to sell a used set of Volvo alloy wheels and winter tires for $600. Only catch is that the tires are studded Hankook 404's and I'm leery of running studded tires...
You should check your local regulations for stud restrictions. Some states don't allow them and some states only allow them during certain months. Also check states you'll be traveling through (VT/NH/ME are all okay, as I recall, don't know about MA). Studs really aren't needed, IMO. Load and more road wear when a high performance snow tire gets the job done just as well in most conditions and much better on dry pavement.

Also, depending upon the amount of existing wear on the tires, $600 might not be that much of a bargain even with the wheels. At the very least, you'll have to buy new tires sooner than you would have had you bought new. So you need to make sure the price reflects the wear and the wheels should be discounted anyways since they are used. Also hard to say whether the price is right because wheel/tire prices vary by sizing so that is a factor as well.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I ran the Blizzak WS60s on my last car. But this winter, I think I am going to try General's Altimax Arctic. $100 cheaper and I've read a lot of reviews saying that the Generals actually out perform the Blizzaks in snow (though not quite as good on ice, but being a storm chaser, I am much more concerned about snow).

hammer

You should check your local regulations for stud restrictions. Some states don't allow them and some states only allow them during certain months. Also check states you'll be traveling through (VT/NH/ME are all okay, as I recall, don't know about MA). Studs really aren't needed, IMO. Load and more road wear when a high performance snow tire gets the job done just as well in most conditions and much better on dry pavement.

Also, depending upon the amount of existing wear on the tires, $600 might not be that much of a bargain even with the wheels. At the very least, you'll have to buy new tires sooner than you would have had you bought new. So you need to make sure the price reflects the wear and the wheels should be discounted anyways since they are used. Also hard to say whether the price is right because wheel/tire prices vary by sizing so that is a factor as well.
Not going for this, don't want to deal with the studded tires...but used Volvo alloy wheels run about $90 each on eBay so if the tires were decent (and the pictures looked pretty good) the total of $600 for 4 isn't too bad. Alloy wheels and tires on TireRack run around $900+.

Or maybe I should just pay $1300 and get the complete set of steel wheels/tires/sensors installed from the dealership...:roll:

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I ran the Blizzak WS60s on my last car. But this winter, I think I am going to try General's Altimax Arctic. $100 cheaper and I've read a lot of reviews saying that the Generals actually out perform the Blizzaks in snow (though not quite as good on ice, but being a storm chaser, I am much more concerned about snow).
I'm not crazy about the tread design on the altimax... Although I really like General. I noticed great reviews on the Firestone Winterforce UV and they are super cheap.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I'm not crazy about the tread design on the altimax... Although I really like General. I noticed great reviews on the Firestone Winterforce UV and they are super cheap.
Who cares about tread design? People say they work so I can't see judging a wheel based on looking different. Maybe that helps with the snow. I think a TireRack review vid had the Firestones as one of the worst for snow performance in its category IIRC.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Have you ever had issues with tire or rim damage?

Remounts are tempting because I have the TPMS sensors and I wouldn't have to buy/recalibrate a new set if I did remounts, but I'm concerned about wear and tear on the tires and rims...

It's been pretty good. I normally go to Sears and it's $50 for the swap, which is pretty cheap. I've seen as high as $25 a tire.

That said, 225 is pretty wide for a snow tire, so I'm sure i'd be better with something narrower, but I just can't swing new rims on top of everything else. Plus I like my rims :) So... a bit of a sacrifice.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Who cares about tread design? People say they work so I can't see judging a wheel based on looking different. Maybe that helps with the snow. I think a TireRack review vid had the Firestones as one of the worst for snow performance in its category IIRC.
I don't know much about snow tires but with A/T tires aggressive tread design and compound makes the tire. I would think an aggressive tread in winter tires would work best. Thats why I don't like the design in the Generals.....Not aggressive at all.

wa-loaf

I don't know much about snow tires but with A/T tires aggressive tread design and compound makes the tire. I would think an aggressive tread in winter tires would work best. Thats why I don't like the design in the Generals.....Not aggressive at all.

What works snow isn't the same as mud, plus you have to keep in mind icy driving too. I've had the Altimax for 2 seasons now. Best snow tires I've ever had. The tread is certainly aggressive enough for everything I've driven in (1 foot plus storms and 2 feet or so getting out of my unplowed driveway) and it has pretty good siping for those slick icy days.

wa-loaf

It's been pretty good. I normally go to Sears and it's $50 for the swap, which is pretty cheap. I've seen as high as $25 a tire.

That said, 225 is pretty wide for a snow tire, so I'm sure i'd be better with something narrower, but I just can't swing new rims on top of everything else. Plus I like my rims :) So... a bit of a sacrifice.

I don't have tpms, but if you buy the tires from them Direct Tire does free swap overs. I only have one set of rims.

jaja111

Why bother with TPMS in the winter? We all lived without it for a hundred years and its really there for those too stupid or lazy to get out and check their tire pressure with a gauge (which you still have to do with TPMS). I put the steelies with snows on for the winter and put a small piece of electrical tape over the TPMS light.

All the added costs for remounting tires on stock rims, getting new rims with sensors, reprogramming the onboard computer twice a year, etc. just isn't worth it to comply with uncle sam's mandate that all cars must have tire pressure monitors. The driver should be the tire pressure monitor, not some piece of crap sensor in the wheel that dies or corrodes in 5 years anyhow and adds more unnecessary cost to a vehicle.

deadheadskier

Staff member

I ran Firestone Winterforces on my Sonata for a couple of seasons. No complaints

deadheadskier

Staff member
FYI Hammer, I heard on the radio this morning that National Tire and Battery is having a buy 1 get 1 sale through the end of October.