• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Car Quiver & Tires

jaja111

past: Volvo XC 70 with General Articmax...awesome tire

Current:

Suburban with Firestone Winterforce on dedicated 17"s ... awesome tire

Jeep Wrangler JK on stock 18"s now, deciding to go with a dedicated 17" rim and Winterforce for $872 or go with a really good AT on my stock 18" rims...no confidence in the oem tire for the snow.

Positive a 16" won't fit? - it'd be a huge savings.

o3jeff

past: Volvo XC 70 with General Articmax...awesome tire

Current:

Suburban with Firestone Winterforce on dedicated 17"s ... awesome tire

Jeep Wrangler JK on stock 18"s now, deciding to go with a dedicated 17" rim and Winterforce for $872 or go with a really good AT on my stock 18" rims...no confidence in the oem tire for the snow.

Check Craigs list, when I had my Jeep there were always a lot of factory wheel for sale cheap since a lot of people customize or lift them and are just looking to get them out of their garage.

dartmouth01

For a while, I had budget rims and Graspic snow tires on a 05 G35 coupe, when it was my daily driver. For RWD, that car could drive thru some pretty nasty snow. After a couple years I bought an 05 Highlander as the winter car, and with General Grabber all seasons, I never met a snowstorm I couldnt handle. Just sold the G35 and the HIghlander is up for sale, and replacing both is a 07 Silverado 2500HD diesel. It has new tires on it, just not sure how this guy will do in the snow yet, since I'm pushing around some pretty serious weight. But getting specific snows for this truck is out of the question, those tires aint cheap.....

Geoff

For a while, I had budget rims and Graspic snow tires on a 05 G35 coupe, when it was my daily driver. For RWD, that car could drive thru some pretty nasty snow. After a couple years I bought an 05 Highlander as the winter car, and with General Grabber all seasons, I never met a snowstorm I couldnt handle. Just sold the G35 and the HIghlander is up for sale, and replacing both is a 07 Silverado 2500HD diesel. It has new tires on it, just not sure how this guy will do in the snow yet, since I'm pushing around some pretty serious weight. But getting specific snows for this truck is out of the question, those tires aint cheap.....

The problem isn't snow with a heavy car/truck. The problem is braking and cornering on black ice. Used steelies from a junk yard and cheap studded snows will really help your safety margin.

jaja111

While I 100% agree that studded snows are the way to go, the noise would get to me. I heard one today. If you think snows are loud...

I again state that I am sorely regretful of having studded tires. Especially having driven on them for two full weeks in warm temps now. (Snows go on for hunting season as their also much better in mud).

wa-loaf

While I 100% agree that studded snows are the way to go, the noise would get to me. I heard one today. If you think snows are loud...

Only the way to go if you live in the mountains or where it snows constantly.