• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

what to demo?

ta&idaho

I'm heading to Hunter this weekend, when they'll be having their demo days. Not really in the market for new sticks, but I enjoy checking out what's out there. I'm interested in skiing the Line Prophet 90 and 100 (I know its been out for a while, but I hadn't really taken Line that seriously until I started hearing so many good reviews). I've been on 06/07 Elan Magfire 12's since I moved out here, but I'm eager to see how fatter skis with a pretty aggressive sidecut and shorter turn radius handle Hunter-style conditions (some scratchy groomers, some sluffy crud, some mangy bumps, etc.). Any other suggestions?

drjeff

Try as many as possible. As I've found out over the years, the skis that you'll often find are "the ones" for you AREN'T the ones you thought they'd be. Especially nowadays where there are so many manufacturers in the fatter ski market and so many different widths!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
start with whatever the dude has and recommends given your criteria. After you've done that, try some others that s/he didn't suggest. Jeff is right, just try them all. At some point, you'll either have a love affair, or you won't. It may or may not be in the "right" category. Everyone told me to avoid the Volkl Superstar, that it would kick my a$$. Well, turned out it was true love at high speed. So you never know. Be careful of gimmicks, but try them. I tried some that had electric torsion control in them. It was totally lost on my, but heh, cost nothing to find out. I also learned that not all manufacturer's are created equal. Sounds a bit obvious, but the more you try, the more you know. Certain brands, like Rossi, do nothing for me, where, for me, Volkl rocks. You may be just the opposite. For me, the key was finding something I liked so much I didn't want to give it back!