5 Ski mini reviews

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    highpeaksdrifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Clifton Park, NY/Wilmington, NY
    Posts
    4,248

    5 Ski mini reviews

    Conditions: Whiteface Mt. Jan. 16, 2006 Hard pack, wind blown. The mountain is recovering from thaw, rain to sub zero temps. Where they are blowing snow manamade pow.

    My specs: 5’ 8” 185lbs. Level 8/9 - Age 51 - have been skiing since age 6.

    Metron B5 – I went for these first because I’ve read so much about them here and I wanted to see how they matched up to my Top Fuels. I asked for the 172cm but the tech said he never takes them because it takes a really big man to use them. He gives me the 162cm and off I go. The ski is a blast, very quick, good rebound, likes short turns in the fall line. Felt good at speed and GS type turns. I was very impressed with this ski. I wish I could have tried it in a variety of conditions.

    Rossi Z9 – 170cm – In a word boring. Way too damp, doesn’t like speed, can make the turns, but like I said boring.



    VolklAC4 – 170cm – I was all set to love this ski, but not in today’s conditions. Handled the hard pack ok, but probably too soft of a ski for my liking.

    Fischer RX9 – 170cm – Perfect ski for today’s conditions. Best in the test for edge hold. Likes long turns, but worked well in the fall line too. I would love to try these in a NASTAR course. Very nice and inspires confidence.

    Atomic M11 – 170cm – Easy turn initiation, but lacked the power of the B5. Didn’t feel all that stable at speed. I found this ski rather uninspiring.

    I rate them:

    Metron B5 - by far
    Fischer RX9
    VolklAC4
    Atomic M11
    Rossi Z9

    I admit to being prejudice, but I rate my Top Fuels higher then the B5’s. While you have to work them harder to make short turns at slower speeds they make up for it when going fast. I have not been on a mid fat yet that is as stable and fast as these. That said the B5’s are one hell of a ski.
    People often work backward from a firm conclusion to find supporting facts, rather than letting evidence inform their views. ---

  2. #2
    bvibert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Torrington, CT
    Posts
    30,385
    Thanks for taking the time to write the review. Any more detailed impressions on the AC4's?
    Brian

  3. #3
    surprised you considered the ac4 soft. as reported else where, definitely a different ski than the 724 pro which i thought was WAY too damp and heavy.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

  4. #4
    Banned RossiSkier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    N. Troy, NY
    Posts
    599

    Re: 5 Ski mini reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by highpeaksdrifter
    Rossi Z9 – 170cm – In a word boring. Way too damp, doesn’t like speed, can make the turns, but like I said boring.
    Wow, Ski Mag Gear-of-the-Year shot down. Think Rossi was trying to do too much and trying to counter the Metron. If there's B1's-B4's, why would you need this Z9 thing?

    The ALL4ONE pass coupon book has a free PERFORMANCE RENTAL. I hope they have some B5's to try.

  5. #5
    Banned RossiSkier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    N. Troy, NY
    Posts
    599
    Hey HPD,

    I underutilize the ski term damp. It's defined as:

    Dampening: the reduction of vibrations that occur when a ski is in motion. The damper the ski, the better the ski will hold in the snow and provide edge grip to the snow. Skis that are overly damp, will lack rebound.
    So the Z9 lacked rebound? If a damp ski reduces vibration when the ski is in motion, that doesn't include high speeds? The Z9 was overly damp but didn't do well at high speeds. What kind of motion does a damp ski give an advantage?

  6. #6

    Re: 5 Ski mini reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by RossiSkier
    Wow, Ski Mag Gear-of-the-Year shot down. Think Rossi was trying to do too much and trying to counter the Metron. If there's B1's-B4's, why would you need this Z9 thing?
    The magazine reviews are not always based on performance, but other items such as advertising dollars...

  7. #7
    highpeaksdrifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Clifton Park, NY/Wilmington, NY
    Posts
    4,248
    Quote Originally Posted by RossiSkier
    Hey HPD,

    I underutilize the ski term damp. It's defined as:

    Dampening: the reduction of vibrations that occur when a ski is in motion. The damper the ski, the better the ski will hold in the snow and provide edge grip to the snow. Skis that are overly damp, will lack rebound.
    So the Z9 lacked rebound? If a damp ski reduces vibration when the ski is in motion, that doesn't include high speeds? The Z9 was overly damp but didn't do well at high speeds. What kind of motion does a damp ski give an advantage?
    You make a good point. All I can say is when I opened them up they did not inspire confidence at speed. The ski felt dead to me at slower speeds. The reason I tried it is because an instructor at WF who I take clinics with has them. He is a Rossi rep and could ski any of their skis he wants and he skis the Z9 most of the time. I guess it's a to each his own thing, they're just not my thing.
    People often work backward from a firm conclusion to find supporting facts, rather than letting evidence inform their views. ---

  8. #8
    highpeaksdrifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Clifton Park, NY/Wilmington, NY
    Posts
    4,248

    Re: 5 Ski mini reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by salida
    Quote Originally Posted by RossiSkier
    Wow, Ski Mag Gear-of-the-Year shot down. Think Rossi was trying to do too much and trying to counter the Metron. If there's B1's-B4's, why would you need this Z9 thing?
    The magazine reviews are not always based on performance, but other items such as advertising dollars...
    Maybe, but not always. Look at all the great press and reviews Nordica has gotten in the ski mags. Then check out the Nordica ads. Opps...what Nordica ads, there are not many.

    Nitrous was ski of the year in one of Skis catagories.

    I rep for Nordica so I have to admit prejudice.
    People often work backward from a firm conclusion to find supporting facts, rather than letting evidence inform their views. ---

  9. #9
    Banned RossiSkier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    N. Troy, NY
    Posts
    599
    Thanks HPD. Just trying to understand. If I was a Rossi rep' I'd have a pair of B2's under my feet.

  10. #10
    highpeaksdrifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Clifton Park, NY/Wilmington, NY
    Posts
    4,248
    Quote Originally Posted by riverc0il
    surprised you considered the ac4 soft. as reported else where, definitely a different ski than the 724 pro which i thought was WAY too damp and heavy.
    You're right, soft was the wrong term. However, it did feel alot like the 724 pro to me.

    Don't get me wrong, I didn't dislike the ski. I just think that for me there would be better choices.
    People often work backward from a firm conclusion to find supporting facts, rather than letting evidence inform their views. ---

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. GEAR REVIEW (mini) - Jansport Goshawk 40 internal frame daypack
    By smitty77 in forum Gear and Equipment Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Jun 27, 2005, 10:07 AM
  2. AZ Mini PM Get-Together - Nashoba Valley, Monday Jan 31, 2005
    By ChileMass in forum Trips and Events Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jan 28, 2005, 8:36 AM
  3. ?Ski/Ski Boot Reviews?
    By Stroth in forum Northeast Skiing and Snowboarding Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Nov 14, 2004, 6:17 PM
  4. "New England Waterfalls" by Parsons - Reviews?
    By riverc0il in forum Northeast Hiking and Backpacking Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jun 10, 2004, 12:46 PM
  5. Amazon.com Reviews
    By Greg in forum Site Feedback and Help Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Feb 11, 2004, 12:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:03 PM.