• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MLB off season threads

deadheadskier

Staff member
lots of moves today. Sox get Lackey and reportedly Mike Cameron. Halladay to Philly, Cliff Lee to the Mariners, Matsui to the Angels.

With the signing of Cameron, Bay is most likely gone in Boston. Lackey really solidifies an already stellar rotation.

hrstrat57

lots of moves today. Sox get Lackey and reportedly Mike Cameron. Halladay to Philly, Cliff Lee to the Mariners, Matsui to the Angels.

With the signing of Cameron, Bay is most likely gone in Boston. Lackey really solidifies an already stellar rotation.

Sawx goin for D and pitching, wow these are not my fathers Jimmie Foxx sawx....

If Cameron is true sawx will have a potential gold glove winner at every position except third and catcher......

If Lowell is replaced by Beltre only V Mart will only be an average defender.

Crazy.

Looks like Boston might have first dibs on the Cuban phenom too.....

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think the sox had to take a pitching/D strategy. With who was on the market and what they had, trying to match the Yankees offense wouldn't work.

And while not scary good. You've still got the potential of having a 20 + HR guy in 6 spots if they sign Beltre. Ortiz, Youk, Cameron, Drew, Beltre, and Victor all have 20 HR potential. Scutaro, Pedroia and Elsbury will give you production offensively as well.

Like the way this might be shaping up.

mondeo

It's been rough being a Jays and 49ers fan for the last decade. Jays ownership just isn't willing to put a legitimate team together; the teams they've put around the best pitcher in baseball are disgraceful. Halladay would've probably given them a decent discount if they had tried in the least to produce a competitive team.

As much as the libertarian in me dislikes the idea, there's something to be said for the parity achieved in cap leagues. Not that the MLB will go that route as long as Boston and the Yankees are putting up big budget rosters, that rivalry is the biggest money maker they can ask for.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Personally, even the no cap situation benefits the team I am a fan of that has deep pockets and will always be able to afford a top ten payroll in the league, often times higher; I would be in favor of a salary cap.

Toronto is not without error. The seven year 126 million dollar contract they gave to Vernon Wells really limited their ability to sign other players. He was worth a lot of money, but not that much. Maybe he'll bounce back, but his performance last year made the Red Sox look like they got a steal in comparison with the 5 year 75 million dollar deal they gave JD Drew.

Geoff

As much as the libertarian in me dislikes the idea, there's something to be said for the parity achieved in cap leagues. Not that the MLB will go that route as long as Boston and the Yankees are putting up big budget rosters, that rivalry is the biggest money maker they can ask for.

The problem with MLB is that a number of smaller market teams have just thrown in the towel. The owners collect the revenue sharing money, put it in their pocket, and field a AAA team. The only way to fix this is to force all the teams to pool their TV revenue and divide it equally. The teams would then be required to actually spend the money.

I'm a Sox fan. I benefit from today's arrangement because Boston spends the money to make the playoffs just about every year. Tampa, Seattle, Kansas City.... they can use draft choices to field a competitive team once per decade but they then have to implode the team since they can pay their budding stars. The problem comes when teams don't even bother trying.

2knees

you need to have a minimum payroll threshold as well as the luxury tax. the pirates spent less on their payroll last year then they took in with the revenue sharing.

thats bullshit.

Tin

I don't understand the moves, they still did not fix their problems, which is offense. Granted Cameron is a 20 home-run guy he is a .250 hitter. The Sox lost about 50 home runs a year between Bay and Lowell coming back.

Lackey is a great addition (I don't like 5 years though, He will be 36/37 and it sets a mark for what Beckett will want) but they still need a bat so Beltre is needed.