• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

BOLD tow truck driver

deadheadskier

Staff member
Just in a metered spot that switches to a tow zone from 4-6. Got back to my car right at 4 and had it turned on and was making a quick phone call. The truck was waiting ahead and then started backing up towards me raising his lift.

I was in my car with my running car with my freaking lights on! If I hadn't peeled out of there, I swear he would've tried to tow me away while in my car.

unfortunately the guy parked behind me won't be so lucky. He continued to back up to tow him out. 5 after 4.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Just in a metered spot that switches to a tow zone from 4-6. Got back to my car right at 4 and had it turned on and was making a quick phone call. The truck was waiting ahead and then started backing up towards me raising his lift.

I was in my car with my running car with my freaking lights on! If I hadn't peeled out of there, I swear he would've tried to tow me away while in my car.

unfortunately the guy parked behind me won't be so lucky. He continued to back up to tow him out. 5 after 4.

Man, you're not having a good week, auto-wise....

deadheadskier

Staff member
Man, you're not having a good week, auto-wise....

Oh it gets better. Soon after that I start my commute north and in the lovely 5PM traffic on 93 I notice a parking ticket under my wiper blade. It was from an hour prior to the tow truck incident. I swear, Cambridge has more employees in their parking control division than there are students at Harvard. 1st parking ticket I've gotten in 14 months working the Boston territory.

To top everything off and what has been the most worrisome this week is that one of my cats has gotten very sick the past couple of weeks, so I spent the morning at the Vets with some fairly scary potential problems for the little guy that I won't find out about until morning when the lab results get back.

If I hadn't missed two and half days on the road this week because of the car issues, I'd think about not leaving the house tomorrow. I'll only be able to get out for a couple of hours, but let me tell you, I'm looking forward to Saturday morning turns in a big way.

deadheadskier

Staff member
......and the hits keep coming. I just have to laugh at this point.

When I brought the car in and the whole wheel mess started, the reason for dropping the car off was to get the thermostat replaced. The car was blowing cold air at idle and in previous cars I've owned, it's usually been the thermostat. Got that fixed, drove away on Wednesday to Boston, heat was working fine after it 'burped' out a cold air pocket during a test drive by the dealer.

Yesterday I go to warm up the car for the wife in the morning, cold air again. Figured maybe there's another pocket. On her lunch break still cold air at idle, good heat on flat ground, but cold air again going up hill. Possibly a head gasket at this point is what they're thinking. Something is causing cold air to get into the system when there's greater compression going on. Other thought Mazda had was a blown cylinder seal, but won't know until they get into it. Could be Xmas eve before we get the car back.

serenity_now.jpg

hammer

......and the hits keep coming. I just have to laugh at this point.

When I brought the car in and the whole wheel mess started, the reason for dropping the car off was to get the thermostat replaced. The car was blowing cold air at idle and in previous cars I've owned, it's usually been the thermostat. Got that fixed, drove away on Wednesday to Boston, heat was working fine after it 'burped' out a cold air pocket during a test drive by the dealer.

Yesterday I go to warm up the car for the wife in the morning, cold air again. Figured maybe there's another pocket. On her lunch break still cold air at idle, good heat on flat ground, but cold air again going up hill. Possibly a head gasket at this point is what they're thinking. Something is causing cold air to get into the system when there's greater compression going on. Other thought Mazda had was a blown cylinder seal, but won't know until they get into it. Could be Xmas eve before we get the car back.

serenity_now.jpg
OUCH...what is the estimate for the head gasket? How many miles does the car have?

At least you have your season pass...

Puck it

Sounds more likea heater core problem to me. They should check that first. Just my thought.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The car is an 2004 with 55K miles on it. I do have an extended warranty plan which will hopefully cover the cost of the head gasket.

They were going to check the heater core as that was a thought as well. However, they drove the car for a minute and massive pressure built up in I forget what he said. He's applying a chemical test to the coolant that will determine if the there is exhaust gas in there, which will pretty much guarantee that it's a head gasket. Oddly the car has never run hot, which is often an indicator of a blown head gasket.

Moving on, I have an elephant in the back of the room. On my Hyundai, the ignition, just the mechanics of turning the key is starting to fail. This part was supposed to get in a week ago, but has been back ordered. So, I'm on borrowed time with this car and could end up stranded with two cars down and helping Enterprises bottom line. :lol:

and, then there's my cat. Blood tests just came back and he's highly anemic. Red Blood cell count is two thirds of normal. Lots of possible grave reasons for it. :(

I simply cannot catch a break this week.

hammer

The car is an 2004 with 55K miles on it. I do have an extended warranty plan which will hopefully cover the cost of the head gasket.

They were going to check the heater core as that was a thought as well. However, they drove the car for a minute and massive pressure built up in I forget what he said. He's applying a chemical test to the coolant that will determine if the there is exhaust gas in there, which will pretty much guarantee that it's a head gasket. Oddly the car has never run hot, which is often an indicator of a blown head gasket.

Moving on, I have an elephant in the back of the room. On my Hyundai, the ignition, just the mechanics of turning the key is starting to fail. This part was supposed to get in a week ago, but has been back ordered. So, I'm on borrowed time with this car and could end up stranded with two cars down and helping Enterprises bottom line. :lol:

and, then there's my cat. Blood tests just came back and he's highly anemic. Red Blood cell count is two thirds of normal. Lots of possible grave reasons for it. :(

I simply cannot catch a break this week.
I think you need a hug a lot more than Swamp Dog...just an observation, no offers...

Glenn

Damn DHS...that's a really rough week. I'll make sure I have a couple beers for you this weekend.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Thanks guys

Right now I just hope that our cat receives a clear avenue to good health. Will know more after visiting the vet at 5.

Any Vibes you got for our kitty Blues is appreciated.

WJenness

DHS, ugh... sorry about all the drama man...

I'm with Puck It on the possible heater core issue...

either way, it's usually a good amount of labor either way (heater core or head gasket).

Good luck with everything... I hope it all turns soon.

-w

mondeo

+++++Vibes

I'm predicting you get past all of it by Dec 23, have a great Christmas, including major dumpage for an epic Dec. 26 powder day (or whatever day fits into your holiday schedule.)

deadheadskier

Staff member
Cutting open the patient now. Not the heater core.

He said the 2 day old coolant smells like gas. Just throwing that out there if others have experienced it

deadheadskier

Staff member
8PM update. Brought Blues to the vets for an Xray to further try and determine the root of his illness. Sent from there off to the emergency clinic for ultrasound. They're doing final tests right now, but it is looking like Feline Infectious Peritonitis, which is fatal.

:(