• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How do I heat moldable innerboots?

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com
Got some almost new boots on ebay - I am lucky that way. Third time I picked up boots on ebay that fit perfectly.
Anyway,
How do I heat the innerboot to get it to mold to my foot? How hot? How long?
Hair dryer? Oven? Microwave? Boiling Water?

powbmps

What kind of liners are they?

Some liners say "heat moldable", and slightly conform to the shape of the foot when worn. I know my old Langes said "moldable", but it was only certain areas of the liner that had a type of "putty" in them.

If it is the Intuition type liner it can be done at home in the oven, but it's worth the ~$35 to have it done in a shop by someone with experience. Great instructions over at TGR.

Puck it

Heat the oven to 150 degrees. Place liners on cold cookie sheet. Turn oven off. Place boots in oven for 10 minutes. Take boots out and put into shells. Be careful when inserting into shells since the liners are soft. Crank down shells and wear for a half hour.

powbmps

Those don't look like the type of liners that you would bake in an oven. Puck it, have you done that with these particular liners? I'd ask a shop who sells Rossi boots how they usually do it.

Puck it

I have done it to my Head Mojo's in fact three pair. No problems. I will look up the boots and see.

Just looked at the boot and the liner is heat moldable. Should be fine.

thinnmann

Website
I have done it to my Head Mojo's in fact three pair. No problems. I will look up the boots and see.

Just looked at the boot and the liner is heat moldable. Should be fine.

I got the boots from a ski shop employee Aspen, and I asked him via email today, and here was his response: "well to mold them, i would reccommend a hairdryer in the liner for about 10 min apiece, then buckle the boot to your foot. hot water is not a good idea and neither is the oven."

Don't know if i should trust a guy that can't spell recommend...

Thanks Puck. Where did you look it up? I am guessing you are a ski product professional, right? Plus, you can spell real good.

powbmps

Learn something new everyday. I'm going to give it a try as well.

Puck it

I got the boots from a ski shop employee Aspen, and I asked him via email today, and here was his response: "well to mold them, i would reccommend a hairdryer in the liner for about 10 min apiece, then buckle the boot to your foot. hot water is not a good idea and neither is the oven."

Don't know if i should trust a guy that can't spell recommend...

Thanks Puck. Where did you look it up? I am guessing you are a ski product professional, right? Plus, you can spell real good.

There are various sources on the net for it. I got tired of going to the shop and doing it. I also use boiling water on the shells. This gets you about 70% of the way there before using stretching on specific locations.

thinnmann

Website
I used the hair dryer. It was stinky. But the dryer heated up the inside of the boot pretty quickly. I only heated each boot for about 7 minutes from a distance of about 5 inches out of the inner shell. I know from past attempts at using hair dryers to dry boots - bad thing to do - that you can't put them directly in because they overheat and switch off. Wore them for about 30 min. I guess it worked. Kinda hard to tell exactly. There are some differences around the ankle area. I can't really tell from looking and feeling around if they are really different anywhere else.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Not a shop I would recommend going back to if that is their recommendation. If I was a shop guy, the only thing I would say is "bring them into a shop and ask them to heat mold them." Definitely do not use a hair dryer. At least he said hot water is not a good idea but an oven is okay for the right type of boot. AT/Tele folks heat their own liners in ovens all the time. Though I am not sure that would be appropriate for all liners or not. The best thing to do is just bring them to a shop that has equipment meant for this purpose. Easier getting a boot on without crunching the liner with two people as well.

bigbog

Think I'd now ski in them for a while Tman...think any thinning of liners from now on would lessen its warmth-properties...that's just a guess, but would think hard about changing liner's volume from here on...as all liners will pack out some. If anything..might want to think about adding of foam to fill minute voids around ankles..y/n?

$.01