• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Heating stock Krypton liners??????

powbmps

The thread by thinnmann has me wondering.....has anyone has ever tried heating the stock Krypton liner?

REI says:

"Trufit liner is engineered to fit correctly right out of the box, but it can be custom heat formed as well, a procedure best performed in a ski shop"

However, the Dalbello website says:

"The anatomically contoured, Custom Heat Moldable Interlaced Thermoformable Ulteva foam surrounds the critical rearfoot fit zones (rearfoot, ankle and Achilles tendon area) and anatomically forms to the shape of the foot."

Are they just talking about body heat, or can these be cooked?

MR. evil

Not sure if they are or are not. My Krypton Crosses came with those same liners, but Skidmarks yanked them out on the spot and gave me some of the Gold ID liners ( the same ones that come with the Pro's) that are truely heat moldable.

Puck it

The thread by thinnmann has me wondering.....has anyone has ever tried heating the stock Krypton liner?

REI says:

"Trufit liner is engineered to fit correctly right out of the box, but it can be custom heat formed as well, a procedure best performed in a ski shop"

However, the Dalbello website says:

"The anatomically contoured, Custom Heat Moldable Interlaced Thermoformable Ulteva foam surrounds the critical rearfoot fit zones (rearfoot, ankle and Achilles tendon area) and anatomically forms to the shape of the foot."

Are they just talking about body heat, or can these be cooked?

Try my procedure with the oven at 100 degrees.

Greg

Staff member
Dunno, but sweet avatar!

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
If they're what are in my Dalbello Krypton Storms (from a couple seasons back), then I had mine heat molded in the shop. Which boots are these in as I know there are different stock liners in different boots. I know there was a thread on here last year about heat molding at home and some had argued that heating liners in your oven can ruin them, but I don't recall the title of that thread....

And YES. Sweet avatar! :beer:

powbmps

Dunno, but sweet avatar!

If they're what are in my Dalbello Krypton Storms (from a couple seasons back), then I had mine heat molded in the shop. Which boots are these in as I know there are different stock liners in different boots. I know there was a thread on here last year about heat molding at home and some had argued that heating liners in your oven can ruin them, but I don't recall the title of that thread....

And YES. Sweet avatar! :beer:

Severine I've got to give you credit for that one.

I'm using Intuitions in my Kryptons, but was thinking of fiddling around with the stock liners that came with them. They look similar to the Storm liner, but the PETA version. No rabbits were harmed.

Puck it, your method seems pretty safe. Probably give that a try.

powbmps

Are they a wrap around liner, or do they have a tongue?

Stock ones have the tongue. I'd be psyched if I could get them to fit better. Powerwraps do a number on my shins.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com

I'm using Intuitions in my Kryptons, but was thinking of fiddling around with the stock liners that came with them. They look similar to the Storm liner, but the PETA version. No rabbits were harmed.

Mine are not the newest model--nothing funky about my liners. :lol: They were hand-me-downs from Trekchick so I'm not sure which year they are exactly...
13758_210532406256_624361256_4453096_5021369_n.jpg

HORRIBLE cell phone photo but you get the idea.

powbmps

Mine are not the newest model--nothing funky about my liners. :lol: They were hand-me-downs from Trekchick so I'm not sure which year they are exactly...

Nice! I was thinking soft and fuzzy....

PAAAAAOIJJKGDNGC.jpg

Puck it

100 degrees won't hurt anything. If that is not good then go for 125. The only thing to be careful of is putting the liners in the shell.

powbmps

It doesn't look like my stock liners are "heat moldable" (I've got the old black Kryptons). They must have incorporated it into the newer versions after everyone bitched about the quality.

mondeo

A lot of the Kryptons are offered in a base and ID version - like the Cross or Cross ID, Pro or Pro ID, etc., with the IDs denoting the Intuition liner. At this point the base models use Thermolex liners which are heat modable, but the first ones didn't have them. You're SOL, buddy. (Or SO$200 or so.)

bvibert

Staff member
For some reason I thought the Kryptons only came with the ID liners. I have the silver ID liners in my Crosses. Thanks for setting me straight.

MR. evil

For some reason I thought the Kryptons only came with the ID liners. I have the silver ID liners in my Crosses. Thanks for setting me straight.

My crosses came with the base liner and Skidmarks had some gold ID liners that he swapped out for me. I still have the base liners in the box just incase the ID liners ever go.

JimG.

Staff member
Not sure if they are or are not. My Krypton Crosses came with those same liners, but Skidmarks yanked them out on the spot and gave me some of the Gold ID liners ( the same ones that come with the Pro's) that are truely heat moldable.

Interesting.

How old are your Crosses?

I just bought mine and they came with the Gold ID liners.

The fit is incredible.

MR. evil

Interesting.

How old are your Crosses?

I just bought mine and they came with the Gold ID liners.

The fit is incredible.

they are last seasons model. What I was told is that there are two levels of Crosses with the only difference being the liner. One came with a standee liner while the more expensive one came with the silver ID liner. Towards the end of last season Skidmarks couldn't order the crosses with the silver ID liners becuase everyone was out. But he could order the Crosses with the standard liners and then the gold ID liners separately for pretty much the same cost as the model that came stock with the silver ID liners.