• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A note about our moderators

Greg

Staff member
I'd just wanted to quickly chime in here about something. There have been a few instances of folks "calling out" or otherwise publicly questioning decisions made by a moderator. Our moderators, at times, truly have a thankless job. In the 7+ years that I've been running this forum, I've learned that you simply cannot please everyone. The best we can do is to try to diffuse situations in a reasonable manner, hopefully for the "greater good" of the community. We have a private forum that is used to discuss issues that come up before any action is taken. Most of the time, if a post is locked, edited or deleted, and certainly in the instance that a member is banned, it's only after we have discussed it at great length and a majority of the moderators are in agreement. So please do not single out a moderator publicly if you have a problem with how something's been handled. More often than not, the whole mod team is on board with the decision. If you truly need to address an issue about the moderating here, please contact any moderator or me directly via private message to discuss.

This forum has been criticised for being over-moderated. I strongly disagree. The fact is very few posts are deleted or edited. The signal to noise ratio here is naturally low, mostly due to our great members that have set a precedence for quality discussion, not over-moderation. Thank you all for your support!

Last edited:

dmc

pepperdawg said:
Greg said:
The fact is very few posts are deleted or edited.

Although it seems quite a few get locked.... :D

Sorry about that... :oops:

Seriuosly.. this is a chill place..

ctenidae

AZ Mods Rock!

Seriusly, I wouldn't categorize AZ as over-moderated. I think the members do a pretty good job of self-moderation, with the board's standards upheld by the mods as needed. As I always (well, sometimes) say, "All things in moderation, including moderation itself."

:beer:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Yeah, I moderate the amount of moderation I use in a number of areas...

booze, skiing, womens, no common sense, mental capacity, etc. etc.

But I have no problems with the way this place is run and appreciate all your time!

Keep up the good work.

:beer:

blacknblue

Thanks, mods, for all of your tireless and thankless effort! I think this is one of the better boards out there (hence, my participation), fwiw.

Greg

Staff member
Bump. We had another instance of questioning mods' decisions yesterday so I just wanted to bump this post up.

awf170

Alright here is something I said in a PM to Greg:

Doing stuff like editing/deleting posts and locking threads does not help, IMO. Doing this just makes whoever was arguing more angry and just makes them more likely to take it out on the person in another thread/post. I don't think posts should be edited/deleted unless something like racistism/sexism was used. IMHO, I think when threads get out of control they should be locked for a time of about 1-3 days, then opened back up again. If this doesn't work then it should finally be locked, but not deleted. I'm not too sure where I'm going with this and not even sure I remember the question, but in summary I pretty much know everything and should put as co-admin next to you. Actually nvm, I want to be admin, you can be vice-admin or something like that.

Also, I would like to add that I thought the MRG Burton thing was handled quite well by the mods. :snow:

BeanoNYC

awf170 said:
Alright here is something I said in a PM to Greg:

Doing stuff like editing/deleting posts and locking threads does not help, IMO. Doing this just makes whoever was arguing more angry and just makes them more likely to take it out on the person in another thread/post. I don't think posts should be edited/deleted unless something like racistism/sexism was used. IMHO, I think when threads get out of control they should be locked for a time of about 1-3 days, then opened back up again. If this doesn't work then it should finally be locked, but not deleted. I'm not too sure where I'm going with this and not even sure I remember the question, but in summary I pretty much know everything and should put as co-admin next to you. Actually nvm, I want to be admin, you can be vice-admin or something like that.

Also, I would like to add that I thought the MRG Burton thing was handled quite well by the mods. :snow:

This isn't Myspace, Austin. Most of us old farts like the waters calm. :cool:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
this isn't even about waters being calm. the mods have taken on extra responsibility to ensure the community and forum remains civil and enjoyable to all. even when we disagree with a decision, we owe each other and the mods respect on the decision. if a lot of people disagreed about over zealous mods, i am sure issues would be raised but rarely does any one cry foul and it is almost always the person causing trouble. i have seen other forums with iron handed mods, this forum is not one of them, so much respect to those making the decisions on keeping things civil.

BeanoNYC

riverc0il said:
the mods have taken on extra responsibility to ensure the community and forum remains civil and enjoyable to all. even when we disagree with a decision, we owe each other and the mods respect on the decision.

Funny... that's my definition of calm waters, Steve. ;)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i think you can have a dynamic and vibrant community full of posts that 'rock the boat' without mods needing to step in ;) so we differ in our calm waters definition. i like to the boat rocked with some candid discourse, else everyone walks around on egg shells and things are not interesting.

BeanoNYC

riverc0il said:
i think you can have a dynamic and vibrant community full of posts that 'rock the boat' without mods needing to step in ;) so we differ in our calm waters definition. i like to the boat rocked with some candid discourse, else everyone walks around on egg shells and things are not interesting.

No...still my definition of calm waters. :razz: It's good to disagree. It's even better when we're respectful when doing it...which I think is what you're saying.....no?

Greg

Staff member
David Metsky said:
Yup, I hate that place. Damn moderators.

-dave-
Ha! In Darren's defense, VFTT is a great site. Although the very rigid on-topic only approach is not really my thing, he must be doing something right as it's clearly the most popular forum to discuss Northeast hiking. Let's please keep the discussion on the moderation of this site; not trashing others.