• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What music are you listening to right now?

prsboogie

From an interview with Richard Patrick
Hey Man, Nice Shot’ & Kurt Cobain

I asked Richard about the controversy surrounding the song, “Hey Man, Nice Shot” and rumors that it was written about Kurt Cobain’s suicide.

“The song was so controversial, and I was like, ‘What did I do?’ ” Richard said. “That was the tragedy of the song coming out after he killed himself. The problem was the song was written in ’91 – my label, Warner Bros. or someone put it out and said, ‘It’s a song about suicide,’ so DJs in Seattle said, ‘No this song is about Kurt Cobain’ and they kept repeating it and repeating it over and over and when you repeat it, whether it’s true or not, it becomes the truth.”

Richard said, if anything, the song was inspired by Budd Dwyer, who shot himself on live TV during a press conference in 1987.

“I saw the raw footage of it. I’m from the suburbs, I don’t remember seeing a lot of things like that growing up. When you’re 22 and you see that, you’re like, ‘Wow.’ There was no Internet to watch death on … you can see anything on the Internet now. Back then, we were watching it out of fascination of like, ‘Wow. We’re all gonna die. There was a morbid curiosity. I was watching it and I was all, ‘Hey man, nice shot,’ ” Richard said.

Richard said he talked about the song and the controversy with Dave Grohl.

“I said, ‘From the bottom of my heart, it wasn’t about Kurt Cobain.’ Dave said he heard the song and thought it was great and then people called him and told him it was about Kurt and he was all, ‘Dude,* you’re making money off my dead friend, then I read your article in Rolling Stone, and I completely understand because people think I’M writing songs about Kurt and I”m not – I wrote all my first Foo Fighters record while Kurt was still alive.’ ”

Read More:*Richard Patrick of Filter Talks About ‘Hey Man, Nice Shot’ and Kurt Cobain*| http://klaq.com/richard-patrick-of-...-nice-shot-and-kurt-cobain/?trackback=tsmclip

Tin

Was only going to have this on lightly while studying but damn. Not a huge Foo fan but they are talented doing and doing some Queen songs. Kind of wish I saw them at Fenway now. Grohl is a hell of a front man.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Pretty amazing that he was the drummer for one of the biggest bands in the world with Nirvana, now guitarist and front man 20+ years later of one of the biggest bands in the world and also has various exceptional side projects and tenures like being drummer for Queens of the Stone age. I'm not a huge Foo fighters fan, but I do like them and always listen due to the massive respect I have for Dave.

Tin

I'm not a huge Foo fighters fan, but I do like them and always listen due to the massive respect I have for Dave.

Same here. The whole continuing the tour with a broken leg and having a plate and screws in it has really cemented his legend and goes to show how much the dude loves music and performing.

jimk

Don't Worry Baby, The Beach Boys

Here is a write-up I generated on one of their concerts I attended recently. This is going to cement my status as a geezer:roll:, but...

I attended the Beach Boys concert at Wolf Trap National Park for Performing Arts in Vienna, Virginia on Aug 23, 2015 and it was a real good time! I’m a casual fan since the mid-1960s when I spent three of my preteen years in Southern California at the height of the Beach Boys popularity. I’d never seen them live before. I went to this show with an open mind, but a slightly skeptical attitude about the quality of performance I’d see from an “oldies group”. The weather was super nice for a 3PM show in August and the concert way exceeded my expectations.

The Beach Boys played a fun, 42 song set that masterfully built momentum over two non-stop hours. A nostalgic slide show was displayed behind the band the entire time. For this performance the band consisted of nine musicians including three Beach Boys from the 1960s: Mike Love (lead vocalist and driving Beach Boys force), Bruce Johnston and David Marks. I didn’t expect David Marks to appear with the band on this tour and his guitar work contributed to the authentic 60’s surf-guitar sound of this line-up. They covered tons of hits, some deep cuts, and three tribute songs to Carl Wilson, Dennis Wilson, and George Harrison (a friend of Mike Love’s).

I think the key to why this concert was so good was the excellent synergy between old and “new” members of the band. The new guys are actually veteran and excellent musicians, just not original Beach Boys. They included Jeff Foskett doing crucial high falsetto vocals on many tunes, Scott Totten as music director and lead guitarist, John Cowsill (from ‘60s singing group The Cowsills) on drums and others who I don’t know, but were also good. Most of the newer members were excellent vocalists and very ably filled in where the old guys needed help including numerous lead vocal turns, yet always staying close to the original Beach Boys sound.

The band played pretty much all the big hits except In My Room, which is closely identified with Brian Wilson. All Beach Boys fans know the relationship between Mike Love and Brian Wilson is a little touchy and it’s possible Mike’s band doesn’t play that one out of deference to Brian. My concert highlights were Surfer Girl, Don’t Worry Baby, the medley of hot rod songs, Help Me Rhonda, Good Vibrations, and God Only Knows which featured a video tribute of the late Carl Wilson singing lead while the group on stage accompanied him. A couple of lesser known songs I really enjoyed were Please Let Me Wonder and When I Grow Up to be a Man. Were we ever so innocent?

I’d love to see the band in its 50th Anniversary configuration from 2012 that also included surviving original members Brian Wilson and Al Jardine. But I give credit to Mike Love and company for keeping the Beach Boys sound authentic and spirited with this current line-up . The concert closed appropriately with Fun Fun Fun and it was!

I got this set list from googling the Internet and it looks correct or very close to correct:
1.Surfin’
2. Catch a Wave
3. It’s OK
4. Don’t Back Down
5. Little Honda
6. Do It Again
7. Goin’ to the Beach
8. Surfin’ Safari
9. Surfer Girl
10. Farmer’s Daughter
11. Good to My Baby
12. You’re So Good to Me
13. Please Let Me Wonder
14. Kiss Me, Baby
15. Getcha Back
(David Marks on lead vocals)
16. I’m So Young
(The Students cover)
17. Why Do Fools Fall in Love
(Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers cover)
18. When I Grow Up (to Be a Man)
19. Darlin’
20. Be True to Your School
21. Don’t Worry Baby
22. Little Deuce Coupe
23. 409
24. Shut Down
25. I Get Around
26. Ballad of Ole’ Betsy
27. Sloop John B
28. Wouldn’t It Be Nice
29. Then He Kissed Me
(The Crystals cover)
30. California Girls
31. Dance, Dance, Dance
32. Let Him Run Wild
33. God Only Knows
(tribute to Carl Wilson)
34. Pisces Brothers
(Mike Love song, George Harrison tribute)
35. Good Vibrations
36. Do You Wanna Dance?
(Bobby Freeman cover)
37. All Summer Long
38. Help Me, Rhonda
39. Barbara Ann
(The Regents cover)
40. Surfin’ U.S.A.
Encore:
41. Kokomo
42. Fun, Fun, Fun

PS: regarding the Dave Grohl love above, he grew up in Northern Va like myself and went to a catholic high school that was a big rival of mine. Of course I'm closer to Jim Morrison's age. He went to HS around here too.:spin:

Last edited:

ScottySkis

All or Nothing for all Frank I get older he was great shows man and talent ed singer thanks hbo I get it.