• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What music are you listening to right now?

4aprice

Modern Pop Music (Dance Music). The kind of stuff that will probably make the purest music lovers skin crawl. Why? Because I putting together playlists for the summer on the boat. Some of its cheezy, much of it top 40, but you want to get the folks dancing, this is the stuff. Liquor helps too.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

jimk

Steamboat1 you post some great music!!!

Spin Doctors? Why didn't this band reach its full potential? Crazy charismatic front man. Terrific lead guitarist. Solid rhythm section.
Live performance from Woodstock '94:

steamboat1

Steamboat....Great finds :beer:
LOL... REO.... I remember hanging out with friends in the old K party area, the dirt parking lot in the back of KBL. One of my friends requested REO from the DJ, he rested his beer on top of the Dj's equalizer. Right after he put it on my friend spilled his beer all over the DJ's equipment & blew his system. Funny chit.

Thanks for the compliment.

Last edited:

steamboat1

Here's my boy Johnny (RIP) the best damn blues guitarist ever playing with Floyd Radford (the guitarist from Tin House a couple of videos up). Good stuff I think.

jimk

Sorry for long, boring post, but for the rare few who might be interested to hear a review of a recent Beach Boys performance:

I attended the Beach Boys concert at Wolf Trap National Park for Performing Arts in Vienna, VA on Aug 23, 2015 and it was a real good time! I’m a casual fan since the mid-1960s when I spent three of my preteen years in Southern California at the height of the Beach Boys popularity. I’d never seen them perform live before. I went to this show with an open mind, but a slightly skeptical attitude about the quality of performance I’d see from an “oldies group”. The weather/temp was super comfortable considering it was a 3PM show in August and the concert way exceeded my expectations.

The Beach Boys played a fun, 42 song set that masterfully built momentum over two non-stop hours. A nostalgic slide show was displayed behind the band the entire time. For this performance the band consisted of nine musicians including three Beach Boys from the 1960s: Mike Love (lead vocalist and driving Beach Boys force), Bruce Johnston and David Marks. I didn’t expect David Marks to appear with the band on this tour and his guitar work contributed to the authentic 60’s surf-guitar sound of this line-up. They covered tons of hits, some deep cuts, and three tribute songs to Carl Wilson, Denis Wilson, and George Harrison (a friend of Mike Love’s).

I think the key to why this concert was so good was the excellent synergy between old and “new” members of the band. The new guys are actually veteran and excellent musicians, just not original Beach Boys. They included Jeff Foskett doing crucial high falsetto vocals on many tunes, Scott Totten as music director and lead guitarist, John Cowsill (from ‘60s singing group The Cowsills) on drums and others who I don’t know, but were also good. Most of the newer members were excellent vocalists and very ably filled in where the old guys needed help including numerous lead vocal turns, yet always staying close to the original Beach Boys sound.

The band played pretty much all the big hits except In My Room, which is closely identified with Brian Wilson. All Beach Boys fans know the relationship between Mike Love and Brian Wilson is a little touchy and it’s possible Mike’s band doesn’t play that one out of deference to Brian. My concert highlights were Surfer Girl, Don’t Worry Baby, the medley of hot rod songs, Help Me Rhonda, Good Vibrations, and God Only Knows which featured a video tribute of the late Carl Wilson singing lead while the group on stage accompanied him. A couple of lesser known songs I really enjoyed were Please Let Me Wonder and When I Grow Up to be a Man. Were we ever so innocent?

I’d love to see the band in its 50th Anniversary configuration from 2012 that also included surviving original members Brian Wilson and Al Jardine. But I give credit to Mike Love and company for keeping the Beach Boys sound authentic and spirited with this current line-up . The concert closed appropriately with Fun Fun Fun and it was!

I got this set list from googling the Internet and it looks correct or very close to correct:
1.Surfin’
2. Catch a Wave
3. It’s OK
4. Don’t Back Down
5. Little Honda
6. Do It Again
7. Goin’ to the Beach
8. Surfin’ Safari
9. Surfer Girl
10. Farmer’s Daughter
11. Good to My Baby
12. You’re So Good to Me
13. Please Let Me Wonder
14. Kiss Me, Baby
15. Getcha Back
(David Marks on lead vocals)
16. I’m So Young
(The Students cover)
17. Why Do Fools Fall in Love
(Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers cover)
18. When I Grow Up (to Be a Man)
19. Darlin’
20. Be True to Your School
21. Don’t Worry Baby
22. Little Deuce Coupe
23. 409
24. Shut Down
25. I Get Around
26. Ballad of Ole’ Betsy
27. Sloop John B
28. Wouldn’t It Be Nice
29. Then He Kissed Me
(The Crystals cover)
30. California Girls
31. Dance, Dance, Dance
32. Let Him Run Wild
33. God Only Knows
(tribute to Carl Wilson)
34. Pisces Brothers
(Mike Love song, George Harrison tribute)
35. Good Vibrations
36. Do You Wanna Dance?
(Bobby Freeman cover)
37. All Summer Long
38. Help Me, Rhonda
39. Barbara Ann
(The Regents cover)
40. Surfin’ U.S.A.
Encore:
41. Kokomo
42. Fun, Fun, Fun