• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What music are you listening to right now?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah. It will be a Soundgarden day for sure. When I graduated high school, probably the four biggest Seattle bands that absolutely dominated the airwaves were Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots and Soundgarden. Alice and Chains as well, but those other four made a bigger impression on me.

With Chris's passing that means 75% of that youth soundtrack of mine is now gone. crazy

edited to add:

Just read this: http://www.nme.com/news/music/watch-footage-chris-cornell-soundgarden-last-ever-show-death-2073512

His last song played was a cover of Zeppelin's "In my time of dying" :(

Last edited:

Glenn

Terrible news. I love 90's music. So sad that so many have passed. RIP Chris Cornell.

jimk

Glenn

RIP Greg. Just listed to the Fillmore East album yesterday on Prime Music.

jimk

Nice.
I have been listening to far too much ABB lately. Here is a very high quality video from a 2014 ABB performance of Whipping Post.
Gregg in fine singing form. Derek Trucks does awesome guitar work from about 2-5mins. Warren Haynes very nice as well around 8-10mins. This is from the last year they all performed together. All I can say is this latter day incarnation of the band was really tight and excellent to the end. Adds something big to Gregg Allman's legacy that he cleaned up and rode a beautiful resurgence with this line-up.

crank

Nice.
I have been listening to far too much ABB lately. Here is a very high quality video from a 2014 ABB performance of Whipping Post.
Gregg in fine singing form. Derek Trucks does awesome guitar work from about 2-5mins. Warren Haynes very nice as well around 8-10mins. This is from the last year they all performed together. All I can say is this latter day incarnation of the band was really tight and excellent to the end. Adds something big to Gregg Allman's legacy that he cleaned up and rode a beautiful resurgence with this line-up.

Jim,

We were lucky enough to catch the ABB 3 times their last summer of playing. Once atMountain Jam at Hunter Mtn. NY in June and later that summer they played 2 days in a row at the Peach Festival at Montage Mtn, PA. You are right, they sounded great!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I only caught ABB a few times during the Derek era. I did see them a whole bunch from 92-97 during the Allen Woody era. When he and Warren left to do Mule full time, I somewhat lost interest and did even more so when Dickey was fired. As much as I knew he was a drunk a-hole and probably deserved the boot, he's right there with Greg and Duane in what I think of as the true ABB sound. The shows I did catch with Derek were fantastic, but I always missed Dickey's vocals.

jimk

I only saw ABB once, 1975. Saw Haynes and Derek Trucks separately in modern times.

I was skiing in Utah in Jan 2017 and didn't hear until months later that longtime ABB drummer Butch Trucks had committed suicide by gunshot to head. I listened to his wife's eulogy recently. Wow, tragic. Listen around 9:30-11:30 in this video:
She talks some powerful stuff, about how after the ABB's final performances in 2014 Butch became morose. He'd sit for hours, day after day watching ABB dvds and music. He talked incessantly of Duane Allman, a messianic figure to Butch. He credited Duane for the way of life he enjoyed. Wife grew angry with Butch's seclusion in his man cave. He had lost interest in all other hobbies/pursuits. Then she realized this was his mourning period. He was grieving for the death of the band and music he loved and the only life he had ever known.

Glenn

Tom Petty: Anthology

A great live album. If you have Prime, it's available on PrimeMusic.