• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 1/23 Storm Discussion Thread

thetrailboss

Staff member
4-6 here in Upper Valley :beer: More than expected.

Probably about the same up at Burke for amounts. Snowmaking is going on up there....great season for a deep pocketed owner to buy the mtn...lots of snowmaking needed this season and they have been doing it now from what I've heard.

More snow needed for snowmobiling and natural snow runs on mtns.

nelsapbm

We got about 2-3" or so. Good news is that a little system will be coming through tonight that will supposidly deposit 2-4" in Central VT and 1-3" in the Champlain Valley. Mountains will probably get a little more. These little systems can really add up and seem to fly by the radar of most folks in the white plate states. Skiing should be pretty decent this weekend.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
About 3" on the ground after all was said and done in NE CT.

We had a mixed bag late morning with some rain/freezing rain and made for a real wet, heavy snow.

I'd love to see a big dump up north but wouldn't mind seeing one around here either. Still wanting to build a little kicker behind my house and practice falling without breaking myself. I certainly am not coordianted enough for any tricks...

bvibert

Staff member
We ended up with around 6" here in NW CT. It was pretty heavy snow and was a challenge to ski in, but it was fun! :)

kingslug

dmc said:
just got in from some sweet pow turns at Hunter...
There's about 6" on the ground - knee deep drifts... the place is empty too..

Still snowing too!!!

You where there Monday? It took us 4 hours to get up there. Had about 2 good hours then it turned to cement...over exposed ice. Packed it in at 1, never did that before. Got a little too dangerous. Hopefully they will groom it out and cover the ice. Getting harder to motivate myself to get up there lately.

dmc

kingslug said:
dmc said:
just got in from some sweet pow turns at Hunter...
There's about 6" on the ground - knee deep drifts... the place is empty too..

Still snowing too!!!

You where there Monday? It took us 4 hours to get up there. Had about 2 good hours then it turned to cement...over exposed ice. Packed it in at 1, never did that before. Got a little too dangerous. Hopefully they will groom it out and cover the ice. Getting harder to motivate myself to get up there lately.

I was out from 830 to 10(ish)... Then I had to get some work done..

I knew it was early or nothing... Didn't ski Sunday but heard it was setting up and getting ugly. Pretty much guessed it would be pow on solid ice... Did the Cliff to Racers Edge a couple times them headed to the eastside and checked out LowerK27 - found nice snow on ice again.. The slough was trailing me.. cool...
Ventured over to Claires and it was pretty ugly...

All in all - it was a great snowstorm that laid really nicely on northern aspects...
The weather did get warm.. It was drizzling by 11...

kingslug

Took a spin down wayout to check out Clairs from the chair. A very few brave souls on that sheet. When I started losing control all over the place, I knew it was time to split. I was getting thrown all over the place. It's funny how I can jump into double D's in places like Alta and Snowbird out west but get murdered on Clairs when she's in a nasty mood.

dmc

kingslug said:
Took a spin down wayout to check out Clairs from the chair. A very few brave souls on that sheet. When I started losing control all over the place, I knew it was time to split. I was getting thrown all over the place. It's funny how I can jump into double D's in places like Alta and Snowbird out west but get murdered on Clairs when she's in a nasty mood.

Like the guy said on the HBO show Entourage...

"If you can ski Huntah - You can ski anywhere" ;)

kingslug

I've always wondered how the management at Hunter felt about Warren Millers clip of everyone falling all over the place. I never knew it was Hunter until I noticed the sign for Pepy's.
"Skiing is why they invented orthopedic surgery"

"once you find you're way from the bottom to the top, there really isn't anything left to ski"

Izzy must have loved that stuff. :x