• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Help selecting skis!

roverny

A little b/g info. I'm 31 6'3" 175lbs. Been skiing since about 12. Though the last 8-9 years off and on (more off). Last year I really started getting back into it but I only had a chance to demo a couple of skis, the Atomic SX B5 and Fischer RX9. I loved the Atomic but figured I'd try a few more skis this year. Well we all know the weather hasn't been to kind to us, so I plan on going up as much as I can in the next few months.

I'm an advanced skier (parallel on blues, pretty parallel on blacks though not as much as I'd like to be) that likes to make quick short turns. I pretty stay on piste 95% of the time with an occasional tree ski here or there, but don't touch the bumps.

Anyway what I'm looking at are:
Atomic SX B5
Atomic SX 11
Atomic SL9
Volkl Allstar
Dynastar Contact XT11 or ST10
Nordica Speedmachine 16.1

First off any suggestions where I can even demo the Nordicas or Dynastars?? I can't seem to find anywhere on the east coast that has them! Second, reccomendations and do I even need to demo the Nordicas or Dynastars? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
five star is a lot of ski too, especially for someone describing their technique as "pretty parallel" on blacks (no offense meant by that comparison of your technique assessment compared to the ski in questions). a recent review actually suggested the allstar was quite forgiving which i found strange. do a search in the gear forum, it should make interesting reading. if you are looking for the volkl line, the unlimited ac2 or ac3 would be good to check out.

NYDrew

almost all the skiis you described are for dynamic parellel skiiers (advanced-expert)Meaning you are parellel everywhere but the lift line.

I cant say that for the nordica or the dynastars because i havent tried them but I have skiied every other one of those skiis.

Consider a more intermediate ski...those skiis are all too much. Atomic C:9, meybe even C:6. At your skill level you will not enjoy any of the skiis you listed.

Labrador Mountain (where I work, 4hrs from NYC) has the nordica's for demo. I will make a point to try them for you as soon as my car gets fixed and i can actually get to work. I think one of the guys 2 lockers over has the dynastars, I'll ask his opinion, maybe try them for you too.

Note that I am extremely prejudiced against nordica...I hate their skiis so I dont know how valid my demo run will be because I already hate the ski. (good boots though) I do however love atomic and dynastars (have 3 pairs of atomics and my main pair of skiis is dynastar) Not a fan of the All star, read my gear review of them

roverny

Thanks for the quick replies. NYDrew, thanks for checking out the dynastars and nordicas for me. Everything I'm reading about the nordica's is nothing but good things...

From my own assesment I agree I'm not expert but like I also said I LOVED the Atomic SX B5s they made me feel like I could ski anything. I also tried some of the more intermediate atomics and the RX8 the same day and felt much less confident on each of them.

NYDrew

You do realized you said you like short turns and the B5174 has an 18m radius (thats huge)

You might like the M11, 12M radius, its a go anywhere ski. It may not be as stiff that its exploding on you, but it will be close. Also a better ski if your starting to enter the trees.

I see what you mean on the intermediate atomics. Just checked the specs...they really wimped them out this year. I just don't want you to make a mistake and get such a hardcore ski like the SXB5. Its a race ski, not a fun ski.

57stevey

riverc0il said:
five star is a lot of ski too, especially for someone describing their technique as "pretty parallel" on blacks (no offense meant by that comparison of your technique assessment compared to the ski in questions).

If the OP is still stepping around a bit, actively matching the inside ski on the steeps, then I'd have to agree... I tried really hard to love the 5-star but the tails were just a bit too stiff, every once in awhile they'd try to launch me. My SUV12XBS are about the same shape but with a more balanced flex and work better for my style (or lack thereof.)

NYDrew might be on to something with the M11, I remember that as being pretty user-friendly but with some upside potential.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
You do realized you said you like short turns and the B5174 has an 18m radius (thats huge)
radius is over rated. radius assumes the ski is set to a carving edge and held. you can make any size turn with any ski, some more easier than others. consider i can make quick short turns with my dynastar legends. i think the turn radius on them is like 20m or something like that, it certainly isn't a small number what ever it is.

volkls are known for stiff tails that can kick your butt, heavier and aggressive skiers are generally more partial from what i have noticed, and experienced.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
riverc0il said:
radius is over rated. radius assumes the ski is set to a carving edge and held. you can make any size turn with any ski, some more easier than others. consider i can make quick short turns with my dynastar legends. i think the turn radius on them is like 20m or something like that, it certainly isn't a small number what ever it is.

volkls are known for stiff tails that can kick your butt, heavier and aggressive skiers are generally more partial from what i have noticed, and experienced.

Quite so. I skied my P50 F1's at Snow this weekend for the first time in a while on a big mountain and I forgot how much rebound there is in those things when you get them flexed.

My technique is quite different on those then when I use my Rossy Cut's which have, well, no rebound to speak of.

If you do end up going with the Volkl's, you really have to make a consious effort at first not to work against the ski. Let it push you back up and into the next turn. When I'm on my Rossy's, I do all the work myself.

I think the AC2 or AC3 would be fair to check out if you liked the Atomic SX's, as weight doesn't seem to bother you.

roverny

Thanks all for the replies, here's an update.

Went to Windham on Saturday, fantastic day!! I must have tried at least 5 or 6 skis :D (gotta love their demo shop for that). I tried Atomic SX 11M, Fischer RX8, Volant Machette, Salomon Equipe SC, and Atomic SL 11. The winner, suprisingly, the Equipe SC. I really felt confident with it and it felt like it held on even the biggest ice patches.

So this weekend I've reserved a Dynastar Contact ST10 and a Volkl Allstar. Unless this weekend changes my mind, it's looking good for the Equipe. Now to find it...